North or South of Bute?

Tell us where you've been, trade information
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

North or South of Bute?

Postby mm5aho » Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:45 pm

I've made the trip from Clyde to Dunstaffnage (or similar) many times, and if using the canal have always gone through the Kyles, north side of Bute heading for Ardrishaig.
But I've often wondered if there's any difference in this route and round the south side of Bute and north on the west side of Bute?
I'm heading that way Saturday morning.

Any thoughts?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: North or South of Bute?

Postby ubergeekian » Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:36 pm

mm5aho wrote:I've made the trip from Clyde to Dunstaffnage (or similar) many times, and if using the canal have always gone through the Kyles, north side of Bute heading for Ardrishaig.
But I've often wondered if there's any difference in this route and round the south side of Bute and north on the west side of Bute?
I'm heading that way Saturday morning.

Any thoughts?

I've always gone northabout. It's maybe just habit, but with the two Kyles being at roughly right angles you don't often get adverse winds in both of them and the shelter from waves is nice.
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Thu Jun 28, 2012 8:58 pm

We came from Carradale to Kip last weekend - worked out it was 5 miles shorter via Garroch Head.

Don't know if that helps. Clearer winds outside.

Regards

Donald

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Thu Jun 28, 2012 9:51 pm

The passage round the south can be fun as the S/Wlies funnel up between the Island & the Mull, so Kilbrennan sound can be quite breezy & a bit lumpy, certainly compared to the sheltered North-about "milk run".

Anyway, you would miss waving to the maids. :D

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:36 pm

Where are you leaving from on the Clyde? From Kip I would say north of bute, Largs South is shorther but it might depend on the forecast and wind direction. I once battled against a howling southerlie down the west kyle right on the nose with 3 reefs in . It wasn't pleasant.
So I suppose the answer would be "it depends" :nod:

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Fri Jun 29, 2012 7:54 am

Leaving from Rhu tomorrow morning.
I noticed earlier this year that the maids have a new coat of paint. More noticeable now.
I think the land distance must be about equal, so the decision (if speed is the considering factor) must rely on tide and wind.
Thanks for the thoughts.
Geoff.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun Jul 01, 2012 5:26 pm

Going south is faster in all wind directions. If having to tack they tend to be longer with a more favourable tack, less current, stable wind, it all adds up to efficient sailing, which saves time compared to the Kyles of Bute. This is my experience from the mid 1980s to today, the majority of it out of the Gare Loch.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:14 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote:Going south is faster in all wind directions. If having to tack they tend to be longer with a more favourable tack, less current, stable wind, it all adds up to efficient sailing, which saves time compared to the Kyles of Bute. This is my experience from the mid 1980s to today, the majority of it out of the Gare Loch.

But it's not as pretty. :tiphat:

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:35 pm

Well we went through the Kyles.
It was unpleasant with the wind on the nose from Dunoon to Toward, (motoring in order to make the Ardrishaig basin before closing) so we turned right, and sailed the Kyles. Motorsailed a little just past the narrows (Burtn Islands), but a nice sail from then on to Ardrishaig.

I remember talk of assisted passages for single handed or two. But encountered someone claiming that it didn't exist for them. We ended up locking with 3 other boats, so with our 5, another boats 3 kids and 2 boats of 2, we had enough sluice winders to get out the Crinan end by about 1330, in time for the Dorus Mohr, and even through past Fladda.

Every time I anchor in Puldobhrain (?sp) I hate that black smelly mud. Is there an easier way that bucket washing the chain as it comes in?
Geoff.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Jul 02, 2012 10:08 pm

Posh boats have a dedicated chain wash pump and spray I believe. I jiggle my chain up and down in the water once the muddy bits appear which gets most of it off. However I'm jiggling 6mm chain by hand and you wouldn't get the same effect with a windlass.
different colours made of tears

Arghiro
Old Salt

Postby Arghiro » Tue Jul 03, 2012 6:56 pm

You need a crew member with a stiff deck brush, but don't knock the mud it is excellent for providing good holding.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 pm

That mud is normally very good holding, but too good at holding onto the chain!

But I remember a year or two back where a MOBO started dragging in there. Quite a traffic on the radio, and despite there bing perhaps 10 boats anchored there, some fast rib came zooming in all official like to "sort it out".
Seems the owners had taken that regular walk over the hill, and meantime their boat moved anchorage to uncomfortably close to others. We were coming in as this all was being recounted on the radio, coastguard and all involved.
With so many there I can't see what the problem was. Nor the need for a rib to come from somewhere (Clachan bridge?) to do the necessary.

So, despite the good holding, sticky, clingy, (smelly) mud, some have dragged even in there. Mind I have seen some let down the anchor, and tie it off when it hits bottom. But thats for another thread perhaps!
Geoff.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Postby ubergeekian » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:38 pm

mm5aho wrote:Seems the owners had taken that regular walk over the hill, and meantime their boat moved anchorage to uncomfortably close to others. We were coming in as this all was being recounted on the radio, coastguard and all involved.

Maybe the owner came back in a sailing yacht and laid out 30m of chain, as per the calendar photo?
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Jul 04, 2012 10:24 pm

Good discussion on this thread about the pitfalls of Puilladobhrain.
different colours made of tears

Return to “Passages and Places”