The New Generation of Small Boat Anchors

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: The New Generation of Small Boat Anchors

Postby Nick » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:44 pm

Arghiro wrote:If winds are that strong I would look to find a safe harbour. If none handy, then I would use the engine to manage the drift.

If you are in Canna then you are in the safest harbour for 20 miles.

I think we all bring the boat to the spot we want to drop the hook in a controlled manner under engine, but if the wind is strong then as soon as the boat is stationary - even if you still have the engine going ahead to counter the wind - the bow will swing off and you have no steerage. How fast this happens dependes on hull shape, windage and various other factors, but once it starts anyone can find themselves with the bow moving sideways through the water at a fair old clip - and once you are going sideways I find it is easier to try to pay out the chain faster rather than to roar around in a great big semi-circle to try to bring the bow to a halt in the right place again. This is the one anchoring situation when it is imperative to get as much chain over the bow as quickly as possible.

The only thing that would really work in this situation power-wise is the use of a bow thruster, but I don't think I have ever seen any yacht so equipped use one while anchoring.
- Nick 8)

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:57 pm

Haven't you got a mizzen then? Works a treat to hold the bow to wind.

Even so, with half a rig, the bow blowing off at 5kts still seems excessive. But I suppose a story's not the same without a bit of hyperbole is it? :D

If I hadn't sailed the the West Coast & the Clyde, I'd be afeared by all your tales. :D

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Sat Feb 26, 2011 11:31 am

Silkie wrote:
As the proud possessor of what is probably the only Raya in the UK I am happy to admit that this observation may only be of interest to a minority.

I hope you've kept it in the box like your dinky toys. It might be worth something in the far future.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”