Lymington to Largs

Tell us where you've been, trade information
So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Lymington to Largs

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:35 am

Any hints tips, musts or must nots ?

The plan I have is:

leave the Solent at dusk, when you see no land to Port, turn right. The lights of England will be on the left and the lights of France to the right, sail between the two sets of lights.

When there are no lights on either side turn right again, sail due north until you see lights to starboard, leave these lights to starboard and sail on till you see lights to port. Turn due North but watch out for some lights in the middle, best to leave these to starboard etc.etc.
I will not stay young forever but, I can be immature for the rest of my day's!

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:56 am

Basically, I find this one of the most detailed passage plans and it really should be published on Yacht Bolg as an exemplar to us all.
It could only be improved by adding an estimated SOGPH as I am at present wondering if the final light you mention is Point of Ayre or Galloway. If it is Point of Ayre, I've always been convinced that travelling north it is best left to Port - unless of course you have gone up the west coast of the IOM - in which case Starboard would be fine.
Hope that helps
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Olivepage
Master Mariner

Postby Olivepage » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:35 am

I suspect a slight confusion between England and France but that is of little consequence, and a short stay in Calais would make a pleasant break in the voyage.

Most certain a workable plan, much as I would do it myself, although there would be in my case a slight hiatus with SWMBO, who is directionally dyslexic, about turning right after leaving the Solent.

Only other addition I would suggest is making careful note of the difference between Point of Ayre and Mull of Galloway. While the former can be safely left to either port or starboard, leaving Mull of Galloway to port could cause a few problems.

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:56 am

claymore wrote:Basically, I find this one of the most detailed passage plans and it really should be published on Yacht Bolg as an exemplar to us all.
It could only be improved by adding an estimated SOGPH as I am at present wondering if the final light you mention is Point of Ayre or Galloway. If it is Point of Ayre, I've always been convinced that travelling north it is best left to Port - unless of course you have gone up the west coast of the IOM - in which case Starboard would be fine.
Hope that helps

Are you up for the trip?
I thought about setting off around half past April.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

And . . .

Postby Nick » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:02 am

This passage can be an excellent excuse to visit Ireland, thereby making it easier to miss some of the other bits.

(It's on the left and up a bit after you do the big right turn you were talking about).
- Nick 8)

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:17 am

Nick - again I find myself having to reprimand or at least upbraid your for trivialising sossigies passage plan
Ireland it just as hard if you hit it as anywhere else and there you go witha blatant disregard for their safety, not mentioning this.

As for the trip, I shall be lying down in darkened rooms throughout April focussing on the Chent's cruise and the prospect of being classified as a deckkie rather than a ranking officer - note letter R please)

I will also be attempting to prepare liver and kidneys for the onslaught of a weekend in the company of Jimi at Para's bus pass party.
Regards
Claymore

So_Sage_of_Lorne
Old Salt

Postby So_Sage_of_Lorne » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:39 am

As for the trip, I shall be lying down in darkened rooms throughout April focussing on the Chent's cruise and the prospect of being classified as a deckkie rather than a ranking officer - note letter R please)

Please explain the significance of "Ranking Orifficer".

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:08 pm

That was a coded message to a wider audience gently reminding them that I am not to be considered the Cruise Director for this year.

A ranking officer being a person with rank as opposed to one who is without rank.

Below decks we often refer to them as rankers....
Again, I hope that helps
Regards
Claymore

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:50 pm

I was confused by the strategy until I realised that by using only lights you take out the problem of the false craig. A cunning plan, and one for the book I think.
Problem is, now it's published, we'll be inundated by a tsunami of hooray henries that otherwise might have failed.

GO BACK - - - LARGS IS FULL I TELL YOU.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:02 pm

It's going to be best done in winter on reflection - I assume we are all agreed that this plan suggests that this is to be done one night - in order to not allow ambition to be thwarted, going in winter would give you a longer night and obviously its great in terms of navigating the tricky waters around Cumbrae as the light gets better.
Capital plan - estimated average speed around 103kts I think - eminently achievable.
Capital plan and one for the record books
Regards
Claymore

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

What is the Point of Ayre?

Postby Telo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:03 pm

There's a brightly lit Butlins holiday camp at the Point of Ayre. Easily identified during daylight hours by spotting Redcaps.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:06 pm

Try and keep up Shard, my ageing codpiece - its a night passage
Regards
Claymore

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:41 pm

claymore wrote:Try and keep up Shard, my ageing codpiece - its a night passage
That must be why it's brightly lit then. Do not confuse it with the Heads of Ayr, which is of course a sewage treatment works.

BigNick

Re: Lymington to Largs

Postby BigNick » Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:42 pm

So_Sage_of_Lorne wrote:Any hints tips, musts or must nots ?

The plan I have is:

leave the Solent at dusk,
I would be pleased to wave you off .... after a few night caps in the local hosteries, of course.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:53 pm

Is bunging it on a trailer and A34, M40, M6, M74 & M8 (and odd bits) seen as defeatist then?

It could be a night passage at that.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Passages and Places”