AIS / RADAR

How things work, what's hot and what's not
moomba
Able Seaman
Boat Type: 42ft moody ketch

AIS / RADAR

Postby moomba » Fri May 03, 2019 2:37 pm

Afternoon peeps heading out in June to the Wset for a Month , got lucky and have a little cash to spend on the boat and was wondering
Do i really need AIS for West Of Scotland , I really dont need to see myself and I am a pretty good look out , and Do I really need Radar , hopefully will not sail on Mist.
All are good devices , not arguing with that but do I need them for my trip ?
I have an old Furuno 821 on board but will need some love to re boot it do I just dso that and spend my money on Whisky and Gin :nod:
Many thanks
Oh and last thing is the crinan worth it now , I have been through a few times but will be taking the wife and daughter first time , potentially some crew (no expericence but generally youngish) or do I just get a pilot and get Quandrey :shake:
Much thanks again

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: AIS / RADAR

Postby wully » Fri May 03, 2019 9:59 pm

If I had to choose between radar and AIS (I have both) I’d have AIS - as long as I had a good plotter.

Saying that if funds were available I’d have a fancy new radar I could overlay on the plotter, with AIS targets in there as well..

As for the CRINAN canal... If the forecast and tides are good then sail round. Maybe via Northern Ireland which I most definitely recommend you visit.
I enjoyed the canal for what it is but find it hard on the boat and crew. If you do go through then definitely get a Pilot, it makes it a far more pleasant trip.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri May 03, 2019 10:28 pm

If you sail in decent weather, daysailing with your family I really dont think you need radar or ais around the west coast. As Wully says, investment in a decent plotter is worthwhile.
As for the Crinan - as long as you are not rushing - its great. Especially with a family.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Sun May 05, 2019 9:11 pm

claymore wrote:As for the Crinan - as long as you are not rushing - its great. Especially with a family - To do all the hard work.

Fixed it for you...

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon May 06, 2019 7:52 am

:lol:
Regards
Claymore

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon May 06, 2019 11:10 pm

I call myself a fair weather sailor but have been caught out in crap visibility a couple of times.

A good plotter is OK to tell you where you are. I fitted an AIS so I know where CalMac are, and the other big annoying people. Not really bothered about other yachts which may or may not bounce off without killing me.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

moomba
Able Seaman

Postby moomba » Tue May 07, 2019 4:54 pm

thanks all , was out and about the weekend and was sailing back from lamlash bay and had to keep turning my head as the big ferry was rearing up my bottom ,a good AIS yup im in. and ill get the 821 fixed up :thumbsup:

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue May 07, 2019 7:35 pm

Your original post referred to the West coast - not the Clyde. If you feel you need AIS when on the Clyde, then fair enough - its quieter outside....
Regards
Claymore

moomba
Able Seaman

Postby moomba » Wed May 08, 2019 12:38 pm

Yes boat is in Ardrossan and sailing around for the bank holidays around the Clyde but heading West and North for a 4 week jont, destination Stornaway and then back
Waiting for wife to finish some work in a few years (Scientist :roll: ) then will try a Circumnavigation , which I will fit AIS and Radar , just thinknig do I really need it now and if I wait as tecnology keeps advancing and prices fall do I hold on ,I run with OPENCPN on tablet and Computer at chart table.
I like the look and price of the MATUSTEC and it intrgrates well into OPEN CPN then using a wifi router to get it ot Tablet .
Aslo the Modern Radar from NAVICO fits into OPENCPN
Thoughs always welcome

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”