Bluewater/liveaboard forum?

Forum for general cruising topics
Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Bluewater/liveaboard forum?

Postby Mavanier » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 pm

I hope Nick doesn't mind me asking about other forums...
I'm wondering where the best place is online to get advice for an aspiring bluewater liveaboard cruiser. I frequent TOP, but the liveaboard section there seems to consist primarily of elderly wrinkled Med dwellers who call themselves liveaboards because they spend a few months of the year on their Bavaria in Greece.
What I'm really looking for is people who genuinely live aboard all year round, on modest budgets, plying the typical bluewater routes. Not people who happen to live on a boat in a marina somewhere, whilst holding down full time jobs and being generally tied to the land.
I've tried Cruisersforum as well but it seems to be mostly Yanks who pop from Miami to the Bamahas and back again every year...

Any other suggestions?

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Bluewater/liveaboard forum?

Postby claymore » Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:49 am

You're a bright enough chappie - what information could you possibly benefit from? Make it up as you go along and learn from the mistakes you make.
Sail this way by Stuart McDonald is a good book to start with.

The problem with going onto supposedly 'expert' falorums is you get showered with their daft opinions - few of which are of much use. Bill and Laurel Cooper used to post on TOP and what a bigoted load of old bollocks he used to churn out.
Nah - just make your decisions based on what faces you - if you don't get is just right you will the next time.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:08 pm

haha thanks for the encouragement. There is certainly plenty of information out there- just finished reading 'Get Real, Get Gone' which is pretty much an updated and less eccentric companion to Annie Hill's 'Voyaging on a small income'.
Also a fair bit can be learned from Youtube, although I think we tend to see edited highlights which paint a rosy picture.

The questions I'm wanting to ask relate to things like equipment, cruising grounds, admin and bureaucracy. Not necessarily the most glamorous stuff, and also not relevant to people who aren't really long term travelling liveaboards.

moomba
Able Seaman
Boat Type: 42ft moody ketch

Postby moomba » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:26 pm

Cruisers forum . a US site is good for liveaboards mainly those cruising the Caribbean and North America and the Pacific some good posters and lots of info and less hostile than TOP , you will find all essentials on it

moomba
Able Seaman

Postby moomba » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:27 pm

Missed out Noonsite which has all the info for Countries and info for cruisers as well

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:30 pm

Yes Noonsite is a great resource, many a happy hour spent on there.
I do use Cruiserforum a bit but perhaps I'm not posting/lurking in the right sections...

I did ask recently about people's choice of tender. It was quite interesting to see a wide variety of responses, with many people extolling the virtues of plywood sailing prams. Yet when I went back through the thread and tallied up the dinghies people were actually using, it turned out that whilst lots of people thought plywood dinks were a neat idea, the vast majority were actually using a RIB with a large outboard.
So as with any forum I suppose you have to separate the useful information from the speculation and armchair opinions...

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 am

Read Stuart McDonald. Sail this way. He nails the section on tenders.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

moomba
Able Seaman

Postby moomba » Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:36 pm

There is also some good cruiser blogs and websites out there , but as everything its an opinion and we like to have an opinion :D

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:50 pm

Buy Annie Halls book ‘Voyaging on a small income’ Everything you need to know is in there.

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:12 pm

wully wrote:Buy Annie Halls book ‘Voyaging on a small income’ Everything you need to know is in there.

Have read it cover to cover quite a few times.
It's good, and thorough, but IMHO she is quite a fierce advocate of ideas that are not mainstream, without really giving much consideration to differing opinions.
E.g. she reckons plywood epoxy is the ultimate in low maintenance boatbuilding. I do not agree!
She reckons that teak decks are unbeatable as a low maintenance and non slip deck surface. Personally I prefer grp with Interdeck on it. I know which one will occupy less of my time and money in the long run.
So when she opines about tenders, I do take it with a bit of a pinch of salt. Yes, some people do happily build and use a plywood dinghy and no outboard. But some people also use a bicycle instead of a car. Some people cruise in engineless boats... anything is possible really, but I'm not convinced that the ascetic life is necessarily for me...

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:51 pm

You don’t need to follow it chapter and verse....

I’m sure you won’t obey all the stuff on a web forum either?

Mavanier
Master Mariner

Postby Mavanier » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:32 am

wully wrote:You don’t need to follow it chapter and verse....

I’m sure you won’t obey all the stuff on a web forum either?

Haha certainly not... but I do try to learn from other people's mistakes where possible...

steveyates
Able Seaman
Boat Type: bradwell 18 & westerly longbow

Postby steveyates » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:24 am

Doesnt the cruising association have most of the lowdown on the admin and bureaucracy of different cruising areas?

wully
Yellow Admiral

Postby wully » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:31 pm

The CA strikes me more as a business than a club...

I would suspect the joining fee would be better spent on a few beers with fellow travelers en route than is hanging around a club in London.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”