Norway - pointers

Forum for general cruising topics
stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

Norway - pointers

Postby stevepick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:04 am

Plans for this summer are Norway, first to the Lofotens, jumping off from Shetland then down to Bergen and back to Shetland over 2 months - June and July in Norway. Have been enjoying re-reading Nicks Blog. Any practical tips or pointers?
The boat will be switched over to propane, but my umderstanding is that multiple regulator fittings are needed in Norway , is that the case, what were folks experiences?
All info welcome.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Norway - pointers

Postby claymore » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:04 am

No idea about gas but take a brolly.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

stevepick
Master Mariner

Postby stevepick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:08 pm

claymore wrote:No idea about gas but take a brolly.

I have read that this may be necessary :( , but I am hoping against hope they get a summer like they had last year.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:55 pm

Sunshine, like lightning, never strikes twice. It'll pish doon
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:24 pm

Re. gas - we took 3 bottles of Camping Gaz because we thought we might have trouble getting it. That lasted us for the month we were in Norway.

We intended to go from Shetland to the Lofotens, but bottled it because we couldn't get more than a 3-day window of decent weather. Went from Lerwick to Bergen then North, but didn't get to the Lofotens. Maybe next year if I can get Fairwinds fettled in time.

Looking forward to hearing about your trip. Make sure you don;t miss Alesund on the way South, fabulous place.
- Nick 8)

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:16 pm

The BIG question is...
How long can you take?
I've done the N.Sea 3 times between Lossiemouth and Stavanger / Shetland/Bergen. Most was OK, but none was trivial.
June into early August over there is HIGH Season. Seriously Busy. A combination of hordes of Southern visitors and hordes of locals.
It is appreciably easier going up the coast from Bergen than trying the Shetland -Lofoten in one bite. The Northern North Sea is simply too big - with a huge fetch, to get >24hours of really useful decent weather. (spent 38 years working up here- believe me!)
Gas is a problem. Different fittings and bottles. Calor and Gaz are a no - no. So take enough or cough up.
Fuel is no problem, and about 9-10NOK/litre. Mostly card - self dispense on quays. Ditto, "marinas" if you find any.
Can add more if you would like. PM

Graeme

stevepick
Master Mariner

Postby stevepick » Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:48 pm

Thanks Graeme. We aren't time limited. The boat will be fully crewed, but point taken. We can always take the decision on Norway landfall once we are waiting for weather in shetland.

I was kind of assuming that I would have to redo my regulator and gas setup once in norway.

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 pm

Propane is standard in Norway/Sweden. Butane sometimes doesn't work very well, so they don't use it.
You can find regulators/ adapters in the UK, if you look at caravan campervan supply places. (at sensible prices)
Many Norwegian Propane bottles are composite rather than steel - so lighter!

Graeme

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Mar 08, 2019 11:40 am

We're also thinking of crossing to Norway this year, possibly from Out Skerries in Shetland to Fedje, then further north up the coast.

We normally use Admiralty paper charts for all planning and primary navigation, but the complexity of Norway's coastline makes the cost of comprehensive chart coverage prohibitive for just a few week. We have some cancelled paper charts (a mixture of UKHO, US and Norwegian) as well the Norway Navionics for the boat's chartplotter and the mobile version for phone, tablet and laptop.

I feel slightly nervous about being too reliant on electronic charts. What's been the experience of others in Norway?

pagoda
Master Mariner

Postby pagoda » Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:00 pm

There are leisure portfolios of Norwegian Charts- not unlike the UK versions.
A mixture of vast detail and poor detail. They were about NOK500 a set when we last bought one in 2014. Area coverage isn't great for the money.
I would make sure you have the most up to date electronic charts. Just be very very careful if you see any water <10m!
150metres of water a boat-length off rocky coast is not unusual!
Up the outside of the west coast, the swell is good at exposing skerries which would often remain hidden due to the smaller tidal range. If you go up the inside route the sea is much gentler, but there are still hordes of skerries,
Almost all commercial traffic goes up the inside and there is a LOT of it by comparison with Scotland. Passenger and car ferries regularly belt around at 20-24Kts among the islands. Almost as scary as the Norwegians in their mobos, cruising in gangs of six at >20Kts during the season!

Return to “Shooting the breeze”