Short jaunt

Tell us where you've been, trade information
spuddy
Master Mariner

Short jaunt

Postby spuddy » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:08 pm

Expect most know of the Med further south but there's another that's closer - the Medway which has more birds and square miles of mud. Some club members had a trip from Hoo to Queenborough last weekend. Tis only about 6 miles but two boats anchored for the night up a creek. Quite blowy especially wind against tide coming back but a good romp,
However on port tack on my boat, galley sink goes below water level and overflows into saloon, A seacock in drain prevents this when twiddled. I remembered to do this twice but not for the critical third time, the other oversight was not hooking up the leecloth to keep my kit off the floor. Phone got soused as did kindle, one of those back-up power packs for phones plus a bag of clothes and spare bedding.
All three electronic gadgets have had it despite fresh water dowsings and drying out. An expensive weekend all in all

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Re: Short jaunt

Postby Gardenshed » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:15 pm

the ying and yang of sailing.
should this be "tip of the week" or a "I learned about sailing from that" thread?

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:05 pm

I sometimes feel that many electronic things ( for land use) should NEVER go offshore. Having seen what can happen to non-tinned cable I am convinced!
Ordinary electronics rot!

That's why B&G and Raymarine stuff lives behind gaskets and varnished circuit boards etc....

Corona
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody S31

Postby Corona » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:07 pm

That is how you learn stuff, next time the seacock will be shut. I had a similar though less adventurous incident last month when I washed(and tumble dried) my sailing jacket with my phone in one of the many secret pockets, lesson learned, I will not be putting anything in the washing machine for at least 6 months.

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:05 pm

Yeah but.....I keep learning the same stuff over and over again. The problem was that I twiddled the seacock twice but forgot before the beat back up river.

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:05 pm

"on port tack on my boat, galley sink goes below water level and overflows into saloon"

That brings back memories. My first boat, a Vivacity 20, did exactly that. A cover over the sink meant that this misbehaviour was never seen. It meant that there was always some water sloshing around in the bilges, which I nievely assumed was normal. Things came to a head on the annual Inchkeith race from Port Edgar. Normally Gigi did poorly: beating against the tide took more time than could be made up on the return run even allowing for handicap. That year, however, the wind was NE, allowing Inchkeith to be laid on a single port tack without beating. We were in sight of the fleet and with a real possibility of winning on handicap. Then SWMBO went below and said "there's a lot of water down here". My reply was to the effect that there was always water below and we've a good chance of winning. This conversation gets cast up to me yet. When I was eventually persuaded to go below I found the water nearly up to the bunks! The race was promptly, if reluctantly, abandoned. Later I fitted a seacock to the sink drain which solved the problem.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:54 am

spuddy wrote: ...... However on port tack on my boat, galley sink goes below water level and overflows into saloon, A seacock in drain prevents this when twiddled. I remembered to do this twice but not for the critical third time .....

Do you actually open the sea cock again when on the favourable tack again?
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:39 pm

I might open it if on same tack for a week or two but not short tacking up the Medway. Usually do washing up no more than once a day but if sailing it would be done in a bucket - it;s that sort of boat and I'm that sort of bloke. Oh yes, health and safety, I have two buckets!

Return to “Passages and Places”