Gael Force own brand anti fouling paint

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Gael Force own brand anti fouling paint

Postby Fingal » Sun Feb 04, 2018 5:45 pm

Anyone used it? Did it work? Just thinking about what, in due course, to anoint my bottom with and this seems like an economical product.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Gael Force own brand anti fouling paint

Postby marisca » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:21 pm

I used it 2 years ago - went back to the ludicrously expensive Hempel Ocean Performer last year and will be spending on it again this year. I definitely needed a mid season scrub with the Gael Force, only a wee bit slime after 9 months with the liquid gold.
Of course if you intend to take part in any races, the hairier your arse, the better.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Sun Feb 04, 2018 8:39 pm

Prior to Geoff's bulk purchase, I used it for several years. Not being a super fast wave skimming sort, I found it was thoroughly satisfactory and, prior to Geoff's any-colour-you-like-as-long-as-it's-blue scheme, more economical than anything else I could find.

Derek

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:56 pm

I wonder who makes Gale Force's brew? I don't think its Flag, the brand we bulk bought.
Contender had that Flag Blue on it last year and despite being quite close to Marisca on a mooring, didn't have more than a wee bit slime at year end on haul-out. In fact there was more above the waterline from the ferry wash (and maybe a few other smoking billies trundling past). This year's plan for that is a 100mm contrast colour boot topping in a hard antifoul (scrubbable). I don't know if that will work, but we'll see. Trying to get that stuff of bare gelcoat was very difficult. Lying in the dinghy for an hour with a scourer, knife, and scrubbing brush was arm-aching.
I might use red for the contrast!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Wed Sep 26, 2018 5:09 pm

In reply to Geoff's idea about a 100mm boot topping, we found that round the corner (in Cardwell Bay) the rolling induced by the ferries caused the topsides to be sullied by growth of weed and deposition of oily sh1te to a level well above the static waterline. Over the years we raised the level of the top of the antifouling so much that there was a suggestion that I could use a strip of 100mm wide masking tape under the rubbing strip as a guide. The good thing about using the soft antifouling is that at least the scum scrubs off more easily than from gelcoat.

We have now succumbed to the ravages of age and are keeping the boat in a marina, where the calmer water has discouraged the climbing varieties of weed. Mind you, having to lay-up in July also helped.
Ken

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”