James Watt Dock

Forum for general cruising topics
Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

James Watt Dock

Postby Aja » Sun Jan 15, 2017 11:43 pm

Is anyone aware of the changes that appear to be happening at JWD?

Apparently Blue Sea Marinas have lost their bid to run the marina for the forseeable future and its gone to MDL from down south.

Probably best that I now go and check small print on my contract for storage.

Donald

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: James Watt Dock

Postby marisca » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:11 am

Not MDL - a mob called Marina Projects http://marinaprojects.com/ who run Whitehaven Marina. As I understand it, it will still be JWD. The lease proposal request http://www.g-s.co.uk/axiom/property-manager/Schedule?id=4269 is what the companies were bidding against and it makes interesting reading. There has to be a hell of a lot of money invested to meet the requirements.

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Mon Jan 16, 2017 12:48 am

Your right Marisca. Marina Projects. Seems that current lessees were either unable or more probably unwilling to take the development forward.
Interesting times ahead I think.

Donald

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Jan 16, 2017 10:04 am

Au contraire - Martin and Craig put a lot of effort (and spend) into their bid but were hampered by their knowledge and understanding of the obstacles that moving, first, to Garvel Island and then to Great Harbour would present. They have the finance and the enthusiasm but were beaten by promises from an outsider without their intimate knowledge.

I am presuming a process of due diligence will be undertaken so watch this space.

I believe Jean, Pauline, Graeme and the guys will be TUPE'd and reassured their jobs are safe.

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:50 pm

Glad to hear it's continuing business there. I'm hoping to winter there next winter.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath this winter, Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Jan 16, 2017 3:55 pm

From complete ignorance - I thought JWD Marina was the entity that I was doing business with - I think I now understand the set-up. If I've got it wrong I apologise and trust someone will put me right. JWD is a Limited Liability Partnership between Peel Ports and Riverside Inverclyde (RI) who in turn are a company (£100 capital) set up by Inverclyde Council and Scottish Enterprise to regenerate the riverside. Like all offshoots of councils RI are immune from Freedom of Information queries or most forms of public scrutiny. Bids were requested for an operating company to take a 50 year lease to run the marina and carry out capital improvements in line with a master plan which ends up with all the marina ground based structure moved to the north side of the Great Harbour and new pontoons there. Presumably the sugar sheds (A listed) and the present boat park will become housing.
There is a requirement for an interim move of the offices and boat yard to Garvel Island within 3 years - presumably vacating the sugar sheds - before a final move to the Great Harbour - I think Serco's lease of the quayside runs until 2022.
The details are at http://www.g-s.co.uk/axiom/property-manager/Schedule?id=4269

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Mon Jan 16, 2017 6:21 pm

I knew about the move over to the Great Harbour. My understanding is also the West of Scotland college/uni or whatever it is called these days will take over the Sugar Sheds and surround as part of their campus.
Donald

Return to “Shooting the breeze”