Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

BT

Postby claymore » Mon May 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Booked Broadband High Fibre Infinity on the 8th March
All programmed to be set up today.
Router arrived by post last week so just the fibres to connect and whooooosh - away we go.
Got up early today, dusted down the plugs and the router etc and sat and waited for yer man to arrive.
Checked the website - expect the engineer between 08:00 and 13:00.
Now 18:17 - Feck all. Not a call, email, smoke signal, kiss me airse - Nothing.
Great.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: BT

Postby aquaplane » Mon May 16, 2016 10:28 pm

Your call is important to them but they are experiencing large call volumes, please ring back later, much later.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Tue May 17, 2016 5:49 am

I hope you didn't think that the Hi Speed also applied to the non digital parts of the service? Just think of yourself as the wee timer thingy that spins away while your computer shoves and receives data at the speed of light from all around the world.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Tue May 17, 2016 1:00 pm

BlowingOldBoots wrote:I hope you didn't think that the Hi Speed also applied to the non digital parts of the service? Just think of yourself as the wee timer thingy that spins away while your computer shoves and receives data at the speed of light from all around the world.

Quite.
I strongly suspect , rather like new roads, new fast broadband will slowly fill up with everybody streaming videos all over the place, as entertainment is moved away from the freeview model to "pay for everything you watch as it downloads"

A short period of faster service is likely, but like the speeds... not guaranteed :wink:

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue May 17, 2016 8:29 pm

There's no "F" in 'service' nor in 'quality' - of the same.
What the eff's happening? We are waiting for 2 weeks and 2 days for the guy to come and build the basic structure for the new decking at our summerhouse. But that's OK because the delivery of the special reconstituted plastic planks which were out of stock but are due today (a fortnight late) didn't arrive either. The balustrade is still in process and so far so good.
This is a multi-thousand pound project and nobody seems to give a shitt. We didn't get to the Northwest 200 in Ireland, having been stuck in the newly refurbished campbeltown marina for almost a week due to horrible seas, so came home early to supervise the construction ... Is that enough evidence to join the pi$$ed-off club?
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Thu May 19, 2016 9:17 pm

I was under the impression Fibre conversion is now just done at the Cabinet and the cust plugs the new router in themselves. Only of there is a problem does an engineer come out to the premises. Have you tried plugging it in?

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Thu May 19, 2016 11:40 pm

The box is fitted to the outside of the house. An engineer has to come and run a cable from that to the inside and then that is plugged into the new router. The old cable is also removed by BT and they say that they check that all is fine and dandy once that is all done.
We are now deadline day + 4 and not a fekking peep - despite their promise that someone would be in touch within 48 hours. Tomorrow I am going to do my malevolent best to get some satisfaction from the useless bunch of cretins.
Regards
Claymore

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri May 20, 2016 7:54 am

I suppose it depends what boxes we are talking about. Do you have broadband at the moment? If so you have a Broadband router or hub or modem or whatever you want to call it? What is it plugged into? It can't be plugged into a box outside. Sorry for all the questions. Don't tell anyone but I just happen to work for them and what you're saying sounds unusual.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri May 20, 2016 9:16 am

Yes - we have broadband at present.
The engineers (openreach) have brought fibre cable to the house and this is terminated on the outside of the house in a wee grey box. My understanding is that we need and engineer to come and bring a cable from there into the house to connect to the new router that we received in the post.
Order placed on March 8th. Installation agreed date was 16th March.
Just spoken to them and requested to escalate my complaint - someone may call back on Tuesday FFS
The woman who handled the call is not empowered to tell me where the problem lies - she may not even know but clearly she is in a rotten situation between one very unhappy customer who has threatened to cancel the order if it is not completed by Friday next and engineers who don't appear to give a toss.
Regards
Claymore

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri May 20, 2016 9:26 am

Ah fibre to the premises rather than fibre to the cabinet that explains it. Good luck

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Fri May 20, 2016 9:41 am

claymore wrote:The woman who handled the call is not empowered to tell me where the problem lies - she may not even know

Openreach are a law unto themselves and BT seem to have no more influence with them than do the other myriad phone companies, so it's likely that she's getting the brush-off from Openreach just as you are from BT themselves.

We were in the unlucky situation to have a phone fault that needed Openreach to install a new pole and we were without service for 2 months over a Christmas. BT genuinely couldn't give us any information on when Openreach might choose to roll up and do the work.

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Fri May 20, 2016 2:37 pm

My Joy knows no bounds on reading your post :shake:
Regards
Claymore

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Fri May 20, 2016 4:26 pm

Mibbies someone tipped him the wink about what he was getting himself into?

Your dungeon in the basement isn't as well a kept secret as you'd like .....

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Oh don't get me started on BT broadband. 1mbps is what we are guaranteed. 17 mbps is what we're promised. 1.8 mbps is typically what we get. Used to be about 3.8 mbps we're being choked but BT won't admit it
Donald

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Fri May 20, 2016 7:15 pm

claymore wrote:The box is fitted to the outside of the house. An engineer has to come and run a cable from that to the inside and then that is plugged into the new router. The old cable is also removed by BT and they say that they check that all is fine and dandy once that is all done.
We are now deadline day + 4 and not a fekking peep - despite their promise that someone would be in touch within 48 hours. Tomorrow I am going to do my malevolent best to get some satisfaction from the useless bunch of cretins.

For the princely sum of 3 quid (extra) they will upgrade me to fibre, except that the nearest thingy is 4 miles away ie it's still in its kennel at the exchange and won't come out to play unless there's + a good few wanting it which there aren't. How the fek you have got it when you live in Outer Mongolia is a puzzle except that, you might be suffering from a lack of thingy too. The fibre cable is more use for tooth flossing?

Return to “Shooting the breeze”