Nothing's quite the same.....

Forum for general cruising topics
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Nothing's quite the same.....

Postby Telo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:47 am

Presently at anchor in Studland Bay, quite open and bit rolly during the night but OK. We woke up to thick fog which was gradually burnt off.

Nothing’s quite the same. New (to us) boat with strange things on board – like cutter rig, chartplotter, radar, AIS, bow thruster, wheel steering, calorifier, shower, (unused) holding tank and a grey water tank (bit of a scunner because it’s too small).

Owing to poor weather it took longer than expected to complete the rigging update for the insurer, so it was with some trepidation that we eased “Telo” away from the pontoon at Port Solent yesterday. With a full length keel I was expecting some difficulty going astern, particularly as the pontoons are quite close together. While the bow thruster was helpful, I found that she handled better than “Shard” while astern. Seems to be less prop walk than “Shard”, which means I’ll have to refine my coming alongside technique – took two goes to get into the fuel berth.

This was our first time actually sailing the boat and TBH getting used to the wheel after the tiller felt a bit strange – I kept on pushing the top of the wheel left when trying to turn to starboard.

My opinion of Solent sailors has risen considerably. Lots of very shallow water, some very fast tidal currents and some pretty nasty shifting banks and breakers, very different to what we’re used to.

We had motorsailed from Portsmouth with the main up, but, once clear of the Solent we opened up the high-cut yankee and the inner jib. She sails well.

No seahorses were knowingly killed or injured while anchoring in Studland.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: Nothing's quite the same.....

Postby aquaplane » Tue Apr 12, 2016 8:29 pm

Happy new boat :)

Please keep us updated on your progress.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:20 pm

aquaplane wrote:Happy new boat :)

Yep, all lines back to the cockpit, cars running up the mast, lazyjacks and a windlass! No more pulling up the anchor by hand, although it did feel a bit odd at Studland using an electric windlass to pick up chain and anchor in a bay with only 3m of charted depth....

Another thing about this trip is the realisation of how many parts of England that I really don't know and have never previously visited. Today, for example, we arrived in Weymouth (had to motor most of the way, chilly but in glorious sunshine). I'd obviously heard of it and knew roughly where it is (down there somewhere), but what a charming place it is. Very picturesque and atmospheric.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:28 pm

Safe Return - if you fancy a wee diversion into Fleetwood.....
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:50 pm

claymore wrote:Safe Return - if you fancy a wee diversion into Fleetwood.....

Umm, yes, I do feel a bit guilty about not replenishing your Old Pulteney...

Once around Land's End, we shall head for either Arklow or Milford Haven, depending on the wind direction. Preference is for going up the east side of Ireland and then across the North Channel, but all very weather dependent. Anyway, that won't happen for a couple of weeks or so as I have commitments elsewhere for a few days next week so we'll probably tie up in Falmouth for that period.

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:03 am

It's actually a slutter rig but what's in a name .... you're welcome to MY Old Pulteney

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:25 am

That's torn it. I didn't want to be the one to tell Mme S that we'd just bought a slutter rig. As for the Old Pulteney, His Grace said he only blows his bawbees on it when expecting guests......

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Apr 13, 2016 2:01 pm

ParaHandy wrote:It's actually a slutter rig but what's in a name .... you're welcome to MY Old Pulteney

Feck sake Para - that wiz 5 years ago......
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:34 pm

About as long ago as when we met for the first time, you seem to remember that OK :)

That doesn't look much like what I remember of Weymouth when we got the boat train to the Guernsey ferry in 1973.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”