Puffers

Forum for general cruising topics
Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Puffers

Postby Bodach na mara » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:33 am

Watched the film by David Heyman tonight about puffers. Some of the bits to camera and one of the interviews showed the deck of a sailing ship. I wonder when that was filmed and if it (the ship) could have been the Carrick when she was ashore at Irvine. Anyone know? I've got it recorded (I hope) so can watch again.

Good film though, and interesting bit about how they wrote their own pilotage instructions for getting safe bit of beach to dry out and unload. One wee clip of one puffer going right on at full speed to get as far up as possible.
Ken

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Re: Puffers

Postby Gordonmc » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:51 pm

I thought the sailing ship was the Glenlee, AKA The Tall Ship now parked at the Transport museum.
A good mix of new film and archive material in the programme and I thought Mr. Heyman struck the right note.
I also enjoyed the episode of Para Handy which followed.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:50 pm

Mr Google has failed me. Any links? Which channel? Is it likely to be on catch up?

Cheers

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Tue Dec 15, 2015 4:07 pm

ash wrote:Mr Google has failed me. Any links? Which channel? Is it likely to be on catch up?

Cheers

Ash

BBC2 so iplayer should do it.

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:18 pm

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Tue Dec 15, 2015 5:50 pm

I enjoyed both progs as well. Sorry we didn't get a better view of the Vic32's engines - just a couple of couplings jumping up and down, but hey-ho the cylinder(s) are probably heavily insulated so a bit ugly. What I really enjoy is the cam to steambox linkage that comprises the forward/reverse function, which we didn't see either... Hint : don't try to share the Crinan with Vic32 -no quarter given!
I recorded the Parahandy episode as well, as I thought it may have been the one that had my father running up and down Brodick pier doing many re-takes that subsequently (probably) put him into hospital for the last time, but it wasn't.
Nice to get a glimpse of the little 'sampan' ferries that took me from the north side of the Clyde to the bike shop (Robertsons) in Govan almost every weekend. Great memories of them just running their bows up the stairs for us to get on and off.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:33 pm

Enjoyed it too but not so keen on David Hayman. It even made Irvine harbour look good. I saw the Vic32 departing Millport last year. What a reek coming out of it, quite a sight.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:20 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:Enjoyed it too but not so keen on David Hayman. It even made Irvine harbour look good. I saw the Vic32 departing Millport last year. What a reek coming out of it, quite a sight.

Not a bad programme, some doubts about Mr Hayman though? I have quite strong family connections with puffers (G & G Hamilton - latterly Glenlight). SWMBO and I have a trip on VIC 32 in May 2016. I promised she won't have to play stoker... :-) I'll collect as many photos as I can.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:07 pm

cpedw wrote:
ash wrote:Mr Google has failed me. Any links? Which channel? Is it likely to be on catch up?

Cheers

Ash

BBC2 so iplayer should do it.

SteveN wrote:http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06s5n0f/scotlands-vital-spark-the-clyde-puffer

Thanks gentlemen.

I'm working away from home for a couple of days more so will catch up with it when I get home or find better free WiFi.

Cheers

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

bosun
Midshipman
Boat Type: cruising yacht

Postby bosun » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:04 am

Re the "Sanpan " ferries; usually referred to as Cluthas ; mainly built at Seath's yard in Rutherglen.

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:20 am

I had to laugh when I heard (twice) the puffers described as ocean-going.

Interestingly, I think that the rise in aquaculture, renewable energy systems and the like has led to the development of modern vessels which fill much the same ecological niche. See, for example, here.

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:36 am

Alan_D wrote:I had to laugh when I heard (twice) the puffers described as ocean-going.

Interestingly, I think that the rise in aquaculture, renewable energy systems and the like has led to the development of modern vessels which fill much the same ecological niche. See, for example, here.

And the coasters collecting timber from around the Clyde these days - Red Baroness / Red Duchess etc. Fulfilling the puffer role - taking bulky cargo away from roads.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:02 pm

Thanks for the headsup, I enjoyed that. Brought back memories of a school trip to the VIC32.

I suppose Fergusons landing craft fulfil a similar role today, but they ain't much to look at!

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Dec 17, 2015 5:31 pm

A good bit cleaner though, (the Fergusons). I don't know what kind of coal the Vic32 burns, but it must be the dirtiest they can find.
The smell reminds me of Glasgow smog in the '50s.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Albin Vega, Wayfarer, Graduate

Postby Mavanier » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:21 pm

sahona wrote:A good bit cleaner though, (the Fergusons). I don't know what kind of coal the Vic32 burns, but it must be the dirtiest they can find.
The smell reminds me of Glasgow smog in the '50s.

Oh I just assumed they used VW engines

Return to “Shooting the breeze”