Chain Locker - Vega

How things work, what's hot and what's not
ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Chain Locker - Vega

Postby ash » Sat Dec 05, 2015 1:07 pm

Nick, Mavanier - any other (ex)Vega owners on here.

I can't believe that it's over 6 years since I asked a similar question - and I've done nothing about it in the meantime - inertia to the extreme. The availability of a piece of S/H chain, and this galvanising offer have got me moving.

This was my question about chain capacity from 6 years ago - link - http://www.bluemoment.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=5032

This is a view from my forecabin - Is this usual? or has a previous owner made some alterations? Mistral is a 1973 model, hull no 1789.

View of the foredeck

I use a basin when deploying / recovering the chain.

Hoping that the heavier chain all fits into the locker, and the new galv makes it slump better. The 10 Kg Bruce does fit the bow roller, though it's quite tight - I thought that I took a photo yesterday, but can't find it on my phone.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Chain Locker - Vega

Postby Nick » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:04 pm

Mine had been enlarged by a previous bodger putting bits round the edge to make the bulkhead larger and bring it forward. This allowed 35m of chain and 20m of warp, though I often had to poke the chain down with a stick. (Broken boathook dedicated to the task).

I have always had a problem with the thus-enlarged anchor locker leaking under the forepeak bunk cushions, and the additions were also starting to rot. Made a new slightly larger one-piece bulkhead and fitted it. I used Sikaflex and cable ties through the fibreglass flange to pull it tight.

I am also hoping the new galv will make the chain better behaved in the locker.
- Nick 8)

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Sat Dec 05, 2015 4:19 pm

I think the only "performance enhancement" you can expect from fresh galvanizing is in corrosion protection. It's typically less smooth on the surface than bare steel, partly worn out galv or old galv. That will probably cause it to pile higher (higher angle of repose) rather than anything more desirable. It could be that with some good use it will "polish" itself??
There seem to be many suggestions on how to prevent chain pileups. I've not had any luck with any of them, and the hawser hole on Contender is a bit small to poke a stick down. Our only (so far) solution to this issue is open the locker from inside the forecabin and manually push over the pile.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

Mavanier
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Moody 39, Deb 33, Wayfarer, Wanderer

Postby Mavanier » Sat Dec 05, 2015 5:24 pm

Ash
Your anchor locker looks the same as mine did. I had 30m of 10mm (or possibly a close imperial size) chain. It would never all fit in one go, though- half way through, I would have to disappear down below to shoogle the pile of chain and collapse it into the bottom of the locker.
The odd time when this wasn't possible, I would just pile up the chain on deck instead, and as we got underway the chain in the locker would start settling by itself, allowing me to gradually stow the remainder.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:19 pm

Thread drift, a Centaur is worse, the locker is under the V berth and the chain piles up. I end up sailing about with it down the side deck, to dry it off is my excuse, then I have to dismantle the berth and pull it down. Single handed it takes 2 or 3 trip up to remove kinks/piles but with 2 folk it' easier but still a pain.

Seminole has a proper anchor locker but the chain piles up in that so frequent re-arranging is required mid recovery.

Does any boat have an anchor locker where the chain stowes itself without intervention?
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:49 pm

Thanks gents. Here's hoping that the heavier chain fits. I think that I'll galv the lighter chain too, if it doesn't need too much acid clean it up. Keep it as back up

I've never had to go below to complete the stow, so maybe it's not too bad. Will just need to hit a couple of waves or sail her on her ear to knock over the pile.

Thread drift - my Leisure 17 had a removable lid to the chain locker so stowage was easy.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:31 am

aquaplane wrote:Does any boat have an anchor locker where the chain stowes itself without intervention?

Yes. :D
different colours made of tears

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:32 pm

Silkie wrote:
aquaplane wrote:Does any boat have an anchor locker where the chain stowes itself without intervention?

Yes. :D

Yes +1, although it took a major modification and admittedly the forepeak berths are now only about 4'6" long.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Sun Dec 06, 2015 7:52 pm

Yes - we even managed to lose Para - there he was pressing the button for the winch and next thing we knew he was lying on his bunk in the forepeak. None of us saw him going past so it must have been down the pipe.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”