Weather Forecast Reception and Admiralty Building Demolition

Forum for general cruising topics
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Weather Forecast Reception and Admiralty Building Demolition

Postby marisca » Thu Oct 22, 2015 10:40 am

The erstwhile home of Clyde Coastguard (and its radio aerials) at Whiteforeland Point has been razed to the ground. Whether this is connected to a slight problem I have been having with vhf reception I dinnae ken but I raise it in case anyone else has noticed - if not, it is probably my radio set up. Ch16 comes in relatively loud and clear but when switched to Ch84 (or is it 86? - whichever) for the forecast, reception is bad. Estuary control on Ch12 is loud and clear but the number of squeltchy incomprehensible blasts on Ch16 seems to have increased.
Am I alone or is this a common experience on the Upper Clyde?

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Re: Weather Forecast Reception and Admiralty Building Demoli

Postby mm5aho » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:31 pm

I hadn't (until now) associated the two, but noticed both. The building was being demolished last time past it, and for the latter part of the summer VHF signals have been poor. Wonder where they moved the transmitter / antenna to, from the old brick building?
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

blackpig
Able Seaman
Boat Type: gaff cutter

Postby blackpig » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:11 pm

I noticed that last time I was out, but assumed it was my radio.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Fri Oct 23, 2015 1:31 pm

Thanks, guys. If 3 of us are suffering then that's good enough to stop me ripping all my connections apart. Unfortunately, I still seem to receive incessant Ch16 "radio check" calls. Maybe I should start doing my own each time I go out for reassurance.

bosun
Midshipman
Boat Type: cruising yacht

Postby bosun » Mon Oct 26, 2015 12:52 pm

I too have noticed the problem, but all over the West coast.
Did a bit of research, and after the change over from Clyde CG to Belfast etc, lost of the transmitting antennas have changed their "weather channel" for the subsequent broadcasts.
Presumably this was done because both Belfast and Stornoway are now transmitting from more antennas than before and need to solve the problem of same channel interference for adjacent aerials i.e. picking up the same signal from two sources.
As we all know, radio transmission on the west coast is fraught with problems anyway.
Might just be that the slight difference in frequency and it's propagation is just enough to make the difference

The Coast Guard building issue is I believe being dealt with by a plan to use a mast at Roseneath.

On a similar thread, anyone else noticing the reduced number of forecast broadcast on Ch 16. Presumably now that Belfast are much busier than before they may not have staff available if the are casualty working ( bigger area = more calls)

Return to “Shooting the breeze”