Mooring buoys

How things work, what's hot and what's not
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Mooring buoys

Postby cpedw » Sun May 03, 2015 7:25 pm

Does anyone have suggestions for a good mooring buoy for a location where there's strong tide, which means that often the boat is hard up against the buoy? If the buoy is soft there's not much problem but a solid Hippo type buoy, especially one encrusted with barnacles, can be bad news for one's gelcoat.

A Hippo style is preferred because the pickup is less prone to tangle round the main chain when the boat's away. A further preference is for a recess in the top so the shackles on top can't get at the gelcoat either.

Can anyone name a buoy meeting these criteria, along with a supplier?

Or describe a better way to handle the problems described above?

Derek

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Re: Mooring buoys

Postby claymore » Mon May 04, 2015 8:07 am

We have a hippo buoy. Its grand and as it is serviced each year, barnacles have not been a problem.
Googling Hippo Buoy will find a supplier. They did just supply to the trade but that has been relaxed now.
Hope that helps - really sorry we missed you at Kerrera. You put us to shame.

Edit: just googled it
http://www.fendercare.com/uk/news-and-m ... -contract/
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Tue May 05, 2015 12:27 pm

At Cardwell Bay, the Hippo buoys are all wearing out and we are mostly using poly buoys now. Yes, the pick-up can get looped round the riser, but I have seen that happen with a Hippo as well.

The recommended size of poly buoy for the type of mooring at the bay is A4 and I bought one from Gael Force who have a shop in Hillington. They also have their original place in Inverness and do the business online as well.
Ken

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Wed May 06, 2015 2:27 pm

Thanks for the suggestions. We use a Hippo currently, having previously had a spherical like the Polyform A5. The Hippo has suffered the barnacle problem.Using the teardrop, the pennant chafed below the water over winter but un-noticed so the boat went walkabout in the spring.

A fellow moorer at Connel has found Norfloat http://norfloat.com/mooring-buoys/infla ... ring-buoy/ so we're giving that a go. We'll see...

Derek

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Wed May 06, 2015 2:52 pm

I'd have suggested FPM Henderson in Yoker but I believe they've been taken over by Gaelforce. (www.fpmhenderson.co.uk takes you to http://www.gaelforcegroup.co.uk/)

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”