Excellent Antares Charts.... BUT

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Excellent Antares Charts.... BUT

Postby Aja » Sun Feb 15, 2015 11:43 pm

....does anyone else other than me experience great difficulty in following any of the instructions on how to load the charts - and subsequent updates? I was in the IT business but it has just taken me an hour to upload the updates for 2015 - but not using any of the cryptic clues provided :D

In the end I deleted all the old AC files and ignored the "copy zip file over to your chosen 'document handling app'" and copied over the .qct files (I'm using Memory Map) individually.

A lot less faff. Or am I missing a trick?

Donald

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Re: Excellent Antares Charts.... BUT

Postby Alan_D » Mon Feb 16, 2015 1:00 am

I followed the instructions and it all seems to work, although I had cleared out the old files from both the desktop PC and the Android tablet before I started. Certainly easier than last year, when I had to download a new set of files for the tablet before MemoryMap would use them.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Mon Feb 16, 2015 9:25 am

I was puzzled by the bit of paper with the CD; it showed some of the instructions but I had to consult the web for the full set.

I'm also puzzled why it is essential to tell Memory Map HQ via the web that I'm going to use someone else's charts on the tablet. But all the steps were described in the online instructions.

It's not a 5 minute task but most of the time is spent waiting for unzipping and file transferring. No more hassle than many a Windows task I've had to undertake in the past. I'm not an IT pro so perhaps I resort to carefully RTFM sooner ...

Derek

mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Postby mm5aho » Mon Feb 16, 2015 3:04 pm

I agree the charts are excellent.
Especially nice to get confirmation of rocks not shown on Admiralty charts. For example there's on off the north end of the Little Cumbrae castle.

I did get tripped up though with Windows 7's inbuilt unzipper not being able to handle such a large zip file.
Downloaded a free unzipper recommended by older son. That unzipper worked well and the whole business became straightforward.

I'm using SeaClear, not memory map.
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Mon Feb 16, 2015 7:59 pm

I don't get on with computers and hate windoze with a passion.

I managed without the usual torrent of filthy language for dealing with computers when loading up Antaries charts.

Then again I've got all apple stuff - made for computer numpties....

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:29 pm

Hmm Must just be me then. I'm of course using Windows Vista and an Ipad probably not the easiest configuration and it took me a long time to (re) find the file transfer page on ITunes :oops:

Once I had decided that transferring a zipped file from Vista to the Ipad and then unzipping removed most of my will to live - I just highlighted the files in Itunes and copied to the Ipad - it took about a cup of coffee to transfer over. All sorted now and rarin' to go.

regards

Donald

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:16 pm

Glad to hear you're sorted.

Speaking as a Windows 7 and Android user, I unzip on the PC then use a USB connection to transfer using Windows File Explorer. Would a similar approach be appropriate for your setup? And will any of us remember how to do it next year?

Derek

Aja
Old Salt

Postby Aja » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:37 pm

That's what I did in the end. Unzipped on pc and copied to Ipad. Wish the instructions just said that...... :?

Donald

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:12 am

It is not just you Donald. I made a right horlicks of installing the update. I followed the instructions to the letter, and found that Memory-Map kept crashing. I then read the instructions for last year and found that there are four folders in the unzipped package and only one of them is for use with Memory-Map. After I refreshed the map list with the stuff from that folder, everything seemed to work more or less as expected, but as my lap-top spent much of last season going back and forward to Curry's repair service (under guarantee) I did not get any practice with Memory-Map on it. It still seems to lose the new charts every time I turn off the computer however.

I have not tried updating the tablet yet. It is working fine just now and I am scared of crashing it as well.
Ken

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”