Going round the top

Forum for general cruising topics
jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Going round the top

Postby jim.r » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:28 pm

Any Advice on going fae the Broch tae Stornoway, jist on the aff chance I'm daft enough tae try ;-)

Definitely anti clockwise this time!

I'm musing about a summer trip Ipswich -> Stornoway -> Belfast ->(via Irish Sea)-> Falmouth -> Ipswich without too many stops in between as I'm still having to earn a crust!

BlowingOldBoots
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 41C

Re: Going round the top

Postby BlowingOldBoots » Mon Jan 26, 2015 6:02 pm

I have sailed this way 5 times, 2 going east and 2 going west. Both times west and once east I headed to Orkney, waited for the tide, and then took the next leg, easy journey, no big deal. Both times heading West I went striaght round and kept going and both were lumpy. Pick your weather window as it can get quite lumpy going all the way around but make sure your boat is seaworthy for a good roll, especially if the wind drops after a blow. I would always be inclined now to head up to the Orkney Islands, wait for the tide, through the Pentland Firth and then head West. However, if I was up at the Pentland Firth turning point, wind, weather and tides were about to go in my favour, then I would miss out Orkney and keep going. It's not a bad sail either way, the miles fair fly by if you have the crew and stamina.
BlowingOldBoots

What time does the 24hour garage close?
http://www.rivalowners.org.uk

Return to “Shooting the breeze”