New to sailing.Where to keep a cheap boat

Forum for general cruising topics
lmc
Midshipman

New to sailing.Where to keep a cheap boat

Postby lmc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:26 pm

Hi Guys,

I am new to sailing and already desperate to get a small boat of my own.

Money is pretty tight and I was hoping to find something like an old Corribee or similar pretty cheaply.(1k or so?)

Being new though one thing I am struggling with is where to keep the boat as everywhere I check online seems to be very expensive.

I don't have any friends that sail and working unsociable hours means joining a club maybe isn't ideal so I was thinking buying a small boat was maybe my only/best option but now worried I will be priced way out of the sport.

I stay in the southside of Glasgow and would obviously be willing to travel but just struggling to find somewhere that wont charge me more than the boat is worth.

Any help would be greatly appreciated :)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: New to sailing.Where to keep a cheap boat

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:35 pm

Hi Lmc and welcome to the forum.

If money is that tight and you are looking for something Corribee-sized then trailer sailing might be the best option.
- Nick 8)

lmc
Midshipman

Postby lmc » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:42 pm

Hi Nick,

Thanks for the reply.

It is something I had thought about but our family car is a lowly 1400cc Nissan Note so not sure it could manage the weight?

The other issue would still be the problem of where to store the boat as sadly our drive way is far too small.

I am already dreaming of a much bigger car and house now to accommodate the boat :)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:56 pm

OK, well from the South side of Glasgow Ardrossan is probably your cheapest marina, while Girvan may be quite a bit cheaper than that, though it is a long drive. There are a few Clyde sailors on here, so I am sure one of them will have a better idea.

The ideal solution is your own swinging mooring, but in addition to actually finding one there is usually a high purchase cost associated with this (dressed up as buying the ground tackle, as you can't actually sell a mooring). If it is your own mooring then all you need to do is make sure the ground tackle is kept maintained/replaced as necessary. For example, we replace our riser every three or four years. Total cost for my mooring including the fees to the Crown Estate (paid through the local moorings association) and replacement of ground tackle is less than £200 a year, though it originally cost me £800 to get the ground tackle (railway wheel and heavy chain) laid. (I don't get my mooring inspected by a third party as I maintain it myself and only carry third party insurance)

As I said, stick around - there will be people with other ideas and suggestions along over the next few days.
- Nick 8)

Minerva18
Midshipman
Boat Type: Folksong

Postby Minerva18 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:09 am

If you want to keep your boat on the Clyde, Stuart mckintyre in Millport had some of the most cost effective moorings for hire in fairley bay.

The biggest cost I have found is winter storage. Of you can keep your corribee out of a marina / yard and in a farmers field you will bring your overall cost right down.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:19 am

Sandpoint at Dumbarton is towards the cheap end of costs for winter storage.
For walk ashore Tarbert is cheap but a longish drive, I would do it from south Glasgow though.
A swinging mooring is probably cheaper if it's sheltered enough to leave the boat in all year.

I looked at trail sailing when I was looking for my first boat, it was cheaper to get a mooring on windermere and a 25' boat than to run a vehicle capable of towing a "trailable" 22' boat and running the vehicle all year to get to work. An 18' boat behind a large family car capable of towing 1500Kg is doable.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

lmc
Midshipman

Postby lmc » Sat Jun 28, 2014 11:29 pm

Thanks for all the info guys,this looks to be a very useful forum to be a part of.

I had never considered the farmers field idea.

I think for the time being I will maybe need to rethink everything as it is just all looking a little too expensive and I naively thought it was perhaps going to be simpler than it is.

Maybe I should give up the boat dream and buy a dinghy instead ;)

fairy nuff
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Sun Odyssey 40.3

Postby fairy nuff » Sun Jun 29, 2014 5:23 pm

Back in the 90s I had a Corribee, and kept it on a swinging mooring at Balmaha on Loch Lomond. Quite inexpensive, and you can winter it in a field there too. Plenty of sailing on the Loch, and the Corribee is the ideal size for exploring it. Worth giving them a ring http://www.balmahaboatyard.co.uk/marina.htm

Allegro
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Victoire 25

Postby Allegro » Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:09 pm

I started out in a Corribee too. This was in Plymouth, but I kept her on a cheap (but sheltered) mooring. She stayed there all year round, so there were no haulout / yard costs over the winter. She was bilge keeled, and I just dried out on a beach each spring to antifoul. This really did keep the annual costs pretty low. And they're great boats!

As far as I can tell, the cheapest moorings tend to be sailing club ones - I don't have personal experience of the Clyde area, but with the right club that is likely to be your cheapest option in the short term, and may be no more than £100-£200 per year. I don't think you're generally under any obligation to take much part in the life of the club just because you use one of their moorings, though that probably varies from club to club. The cheapest option in the long term, as Nick says above, is to lay your own mooring. This has a significant upfront cost, which may be a problem for you, but once down you've only Crown Estate fees each year which, if you're part of a mooring association, are very low (I think we pay just £40 per year). There's some useful contact information on the WHAM website if you want to look into finding somewhere where you could lay a mooring.

Good luck, and don't let the apparent costs put you off too much - sailing really doesn't have to be a rich man's sport!

Cheers
Patrick

[Edit - Just reread your original post, and was struck by the comment "everywhere I check online seems to be very expensive". That's right, but its because the cheap options aren't online! You need to start asking around sailing clubs and making some phone calls - there are cheap options around, but one of the reasons they're cheap is because they're not well advertised!]
Sailing a Victoire 25 on the west coast of Scotland

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Postby wully » Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:42 pm

lmc wrote:Maybe I should give up the boat dream and buy a dinghy instead ;)

Never give up, never give in.

There are lots of simple, sea worthy, trail able boats available. Even sailing kayaks or canoes can get you to lots of places no other mode of transport can. Wayfarer dinghies have made some long voyages and you can camp on board them.
Being cheeky you could buy a small sail boat and a very big anchor and drop the hook for a working week , then move on to somewhere else for the next week- that might pass a pleasant season..
I kept my first boat in the Crinan canal sea lock basin as it was the easiest, cheapest option for me at the time.

Good luck and keep an open mind.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:47 pm

Irvine harbour has cheap moorings. I'm not sure who runs them it may be the water sports club or it could be the council. ( NAC) http://www.irvineharbour.com/SailingDir ... fault.aspx
http://www.irvineharbour.com/MooringCha ... fault.aspx

There is also the Troon cruising club who have moorings/pontoons within Troon marina

lmc
Midshipman

Postby lmc » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:01 pm

wow!

Thanks so so much for all the info,I think this may just be the friendliest forum I have ever seen.

I will check out all the useful links you guys have posted and take the advice on board,I am feeling a lot more positive about it now :)

I have persuaded my wife that we should get rid of the wee Nissan and buy a 4x4,I did have to promise to impregante her again for her to agree but I guess we all have to make sacrifices ;)

Hopefully with getting a more suitable car the option of having a boat on a trailer might not be so daunting.

I am off to read all the info you posted and then probably stay up stupidly late excitedly looking up boats!

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Jul 02, 2014 10:11 pm

Probably because it's an inexpensive place to keep a boat for the summer (relatively, it's still a commercial operation) and a cheap place to store one for the winter (if it's bilge keel or has it's own cradle) Linnhe Marine might be a possible source for a suitable boat. I know there are a few sitting on the hard looking for new owners at the moment.
different colours made of tears

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Fri Jul 11, 2014 12:49 pm

You might also ask at caravan storage places that have hard standing. They can only say no but if you don't ask you don't get.

Aquaplane's got web site addresses for reasonable Tarpaulins - a very useful pice of kit for covering any boat during the winter (mast being used as a centre pole, of course) or as a cockpit tent.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Old_Glow_In_The_Deep
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Newbridge Voyager

Postby Old_Glow_In_The_Deep » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:26 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:There is also the Troon cruising club who have moorings/pontoons within Troon marina

+1

Give me an e-mail:

clydesailing@btinternet.com

I've had a Yacht there for eight years, can answer most questions + can show you around.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”