A quick Hello & seeking input for jaunt N of Ardnamurchan

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Minerva18
Midshipman
Boat Type: Folksong

A quick Hello & seeking input for jaunt N of Ardnamurchan

Postby Minerva18 » Tue May 13, 2014 5:21 pm

Hello, I'm the new kid in class. *Waves*

Minerva, my Folksong and based on the upper Clyde, is now afloat and bar a couple of niggling wee electrical jobs, is ready for the season ahead.

The past couple of seasons I have been doing a solo trip round Scotland in bite size (2 week) chunks. Year one Whitehaven - Isle of Man - Mull of Galloway - Clyde. Year two Clyde - MoK - Islay - Colonsay - Tiree - Mull - Dunstafinage -MoK - Clyde.

This year the rough plan is take the boat through the Crinan one weekend, leave boat for remainder of week in the Crinan / Oban area whilst I go back to work. Then the following Friday start of for a 2 week adventure going North of Ardnamurchan hopefully taking in the Outer Hebrides / St Kilda and returning by Western tip of Skye / Rhum / Canna / Eigg.

Well that's the rough plan, the weather will no doubt dictate reality.

What is the best Pilotage guide for the area? I have used the CCC guides in the past but balking at circa £55 for the two books required for ma holiday and if there was a more cost effective guide available it would be nice.

Also I'm currently sporting 50m of anchor chain (I do not want to turn this into a TOP anchor thread!) is that generally adequate (if we can ignore the flavour of pick on the end) for the area or should I be looking at adding a warp onto that?

Cheers!

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: A quick Hello & seeking input for jaunt N of Ardnamurcha

Postby Silkie » Tue May 13, 2014 9:06 pm

Welcome aboard. The Martin Lawrence pilots published by Imray are the alternative as I'm sure you know but at £27.50 each they are a suspiciously similar price for similar coverage.

As far as rode is concerned I have 60m (30 chain + 30 warp) and have only very rarely used more than 50m so you should be fine with what you have although it's always comforting to have something you can add in case the poo really hits the fan one dark and stormy night.
different colours made of tears

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed May 14, 2014 8:31 am

It's perhaps not the best pilot guide, but it is free, c/o the US military - http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/Stati ... b141bk.pdf.

It should be possible to get second hand CCC or Martin Lawrence SDs at boat jumbles or on eBay.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Wed May 14, 2014 8:33 am

The above link is for Scotland.

Ireland and West of England SDs are at http://msi.nga.mil/MSISiteContent/Stati ... b142bk.pdf

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Wed May 14, 2014 9:00 am

The more chain the better but we spent 20+ years cruising the areas you plan to to visit in our last boat and she had 50m of chain. Now carry 70m but in 5 years we have only had the whole of it out a couple of times and that was in full on unseasonable gales.

Realise you do not want an anchor debate but the latest thinking by Neeves et al on top suggests the choice of anchor is far more important than the weight of chain (& an effective snubbing system).

Scottish Islands by Hamish Haswell-Smith is very nice (some may say essential) to have on the boat and to take home out of season. No use for pilotage but great for finding alternative anchorages and background reading
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

Minerva18
Midshipman
Boat Type: Folksong

Postby Minerva18 » Wed May 14, 2014 2:01 pm

That's great. Thank you all.

How does the Martin Lawrence compare with that of the Clyde Cruising Club offering, quality wise are they the similar or is there a clear winner?

Thank you for the NOA Sailing directions, those should be a nice back up. I used them last year, and whist they kept me off the rocks, they certainly aren't as good as the CCC so I felt I could of missed some good hidey holes.

On a differing note, last year I found a great wee bar in a hotel in Tiree, are there any recommendations for lively wee bars / good pub food which will accommodate the great unwashed?

sam
Master Mariner

Postby sam » Wed May 14, 2014 2:56 pm

I thought that the CCC and Martin Lawrence were now combined into one?
The pub in Castlebay is fun when the Vatersay Boys are playing. :)

Storyline
Master Mariner

Postby Storyline » Wed May 14, 2014 3:07 pm

Unfortunately I cannot be of much use to you as all our pilots date back to the early 1990's but we do have both the ML & the CCC books for all areas. Things may have changed and others may comment but we prefer ML, have sometimes found the CCC ones a bit gloomy and foreboding. Have heard good things about the v. large scale Antares charts which at £12 or so may be useful if you like rock hopping.

The best bar by far that we have found is in the Port Askaig hotel and we have had some fantastic nights in there coupled with a jaw dropping view of the paps on Jura and the wee ferry crabbing over the Sound. Unfortunately they have altered the quayside so it is hard/impossible to tie up there now but there is a mooring or two in the next bay up by the distillery. These days we prefer drinks on board in an anchorage so others are better placed to comment. A bar not to get too excited about is the one on Eriskay (whisky galore territory), we had run out of cigarettes so made the longish trek there across the island only to discover that a) it was an ugly modern building complete with plastic conservatory and b) it did not sell cigarettes ! Never normally run out of ciggies but we had been gale bound and this was the first pub I have ever been to that did not sell them grrr
Last edited by Storyline on Wed May 14, 2014 3:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sailed in the Tall Ships Race on Storyline ? http://www.facebook.com/YachtStoryline

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Wed May 14, 2014 3:19 pm

I have 40m of chain and, if replacing it, I would probably get 50m. While all 40m is occasionally used, I do have nylon warp (old climbing rope) which I could use to extend it, but have not so far had to.

From memory there are two pubs on Tiree. When there about 10 years ago we hired bikes to get to the high point with the "golf ball" and on the way back to Gott Bay called in at one of the pubs where a session looked like it had been underway for some time. One guy was quite incapable of strapping on an accordion without considerable assistance but, once sorted, actually played rather well, which was more than could be said of the singing...

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Penguin Bolt Holes

Postby Telo » Wed May 14, 2014 4:18 pm

There are also the Penguin Bolt Holes, a very handy piece at http://www.bluemoment.com/downloads/pen ... tholes.pdf

pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Postby pagoda » Wed May 14, 2014 5:38 pm

Minerva18 wrote:Hello, I'm the new kid in class. *Waves*

Minerva, my Folksong and based on the upper Clyde, is now afloat and bar a couple of niggling wee electrical jobs, is ready for the season ahead.

The past couple of seasons I have been doing a solo trip round Scotland in bite size (2 week) chunks. Year one Whitehaven - Isle of Man - Mull of Galloway - Clyde. Year two Clyde - MoK - Islay - Colonsay - Tiree - Mull - Dunstafinage -MoK - Clyde.

This year the rough plan is take the boat through the Crinan one weekend, leave boat for remainder of week in the Crinan / Oban area whilst I go back to work. Then the following Friday start of for a 2 week adventure going North of Ardnamurchan hopefully taking in the Outer Hebrides / St Kilda and returning by Western tip of Skye / Rhum / Canna / Eigg.

Well that's the rough plan, the weather will no doubt dictate reality.

What is the best Pilotage guide for the area? I have used the CCC guides in the past but balking at circa £55 for the two books required for ma holiday and if there was a more cost effective guide available it would be nice.

Also I'm currently sporting 50m of anchor chain (I do not want to turn this into a TOP anchor thread!) is that generally adequate (if we can ignore the flavour of pick on the end) for the area or should I be looking at adding a warp onto that?

Cheers!

I'd be shocked if you really need more than 50m of chain. I have 40m and about 15m of warp. I rarely use all the chain, never mind the warp after it. (correction - I used almost everything in Loch Ness last week, but that was understandable - I could almost walk ashore after anchoring anyway!
For a base - look at Dallens Bay (inside Shuna) or maybe Kilmelford. Both fairly close to Oban with swinging moorings , but not Dunstaffnage prices. If you are sailing a square rigger -then the US guides will do you fine (!!) but for real small scale detail - go for a slightly older Martin Lawrence? try Ebay?
Having said that - there are plenty of places you can use with a bit of common sense (and a sounder) -which are not always covered in Pilot Books. Your trip sounds a bit like what we did 3 years ago . Kilmelford-Cuan- Ross of Mull-Bunessan-Coll- Barra-Loch Boisdale- up the Uists to LochMaddy-Skye-Rhum-Tobers-Puilldobhrran-Cuan-Kilmelford. Loads of basking sharks near Coll and South Uist..
Enjoy your trip..!
Graeme

Return to “Passages and Places”