iphone chartplotter

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

iphone chartplotter

Postby Silkie » Mon May 12, 2014 6:33 pm

Who uses one, how useful is it and would you recommend it?
different colours made of tears

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Re: iphone chartplotter

Postby Booby Trapper » Mon May 12, 2014 9:21 pm

Silkie wrote:Who uses one, how useful is it and would you recommend it?

I downloaded Navionics for my 8 inch tablet . only tried it out yesterday. I wouldn't like to try it on anything smaller. I've not got to grips with all the features yet but would like to see lat on long on the main screen without going into other menus. Also would like to see a goto feature.

inboard
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Moody 33

Postby inboard » Tue May 13, 2014 8:43 am

I have navionics and memory map (with UKHO and Antares charts) on both iPhone and iPad.

I don't use the iPhone for navigation, but do find it useful for plotting weekend fun when on the train to work etc. One advantage of navionics over MM is tide & stream data. However, using the phone for pilotage/ exploring tight corners with Antares charts could be useful as it's easier than the iPad to stick in your pocket.

I don't think I'd buy an iPhone just for this, but if I had one would definitely get apps for it (and of course with MM and UKHO/ Antares you can use on multiple devices for one payment).

Worth noting that I do use iPhone for landward navigation - lots of OS maps on it and use it for cycle touring. Not for the mountains though.

Yotter
Able Seaman

Postby Yotter » Tue May 13, 2014 10:49 am

Hi,
I use MM and Antares charts on a netbook (windows 7) and also an anchient HP/Compaq iPAQ which works very well, and fits nicely in my pocket. I believe that the MM licence restricts it use to 2 devices (i guess 2 is multiple!). I have 2 fixed plotters on the boat also, Raymarine and Garman, but backup is always good.........now where is that hand bearing compass......................
Angus

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”