Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Tides

Postby claymore » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:49 pm

Fri 16th May
HW Oban is around 19:50
Cuan and Dorus Mor turn around 17:30

Will we head North?

Nick has held a long term desire to take in Coll and we've banged on about going beyond Ardnamurchan for 10 years.
As this is a comparatively later CC - perhaps the weather demons will smile upon us?
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Tides

Postby Silkie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:31 pm

A spring tide too though not a huge one. Definitely looks like a good day for going up the Sound of Mull. You could take advantage of the famous eight hour favourable tide.

As for the weather... :?:
we can be heroes

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:02 pm

Coll's well worth a visit. Unfortunately I won't be back from London until the Thursday, so unless we go very late to the boat, we'll probably be starting on the Friday afternoon. :cry: We're to the north, so would normally sail to Coll via the Sound of Mull (again...) which would be fine. It would take us a while to catch up, but going along the south of Mull, possible stopping at Port Ohirnie, Loch Buie, Knockvologan or Tinker's Hole would also be fine. There's also the Traigh Gheal at Eilean Mor, and Port nan Ron; we haven't tried either before. Apart from the Hole, they are all a bit wind and sea state dependent. No pub either....

Over to you, Cruise Director.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:51 pm

Low water Oban is 1345 on Friday. It surely wouldn't require a very early start from the house to catch at least a bit of ebb for going south? That would be my plan anyway although I'd go to the boat on Thursday evening - should this turn out to be the CD's eventual decision of course.
we can be heroes

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:01 am

Silkie wrote:Low water Oban is 1345 on Friday. It surely wouldn't require a very early start from the house to catch at least a bit of ebb for going south? That would be my plan anyway although I'd go to the boat on Thursday evening - should this turn out to be the CD's eventual decision of course.

I try to avoid early starts if I've come back on the last flight from London.......

:roll:

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:45 am

Lightweight.
we can be heroes

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Postby DaveS » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:09 pm

I'm hoping to make it (assuming, as always, that the boat's ready in time) but I have to be in Glasgow on the evening of Mon 19 so that might constrain my options a wee bit. I haven't looked at tides yet.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Mar 10, 2014 2:47 pm

We have to be back on the Monday too but there was a comment passed by the Muz, seconded by the Oxford titearse that we might set off as early as Tuesday and then plan to meet up with the CC proper on the Thursday/Friday.
This was proposed in acknowledgement of the fact that there isnae a job between the 3 of us.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Return to “CC2014”