Scottish Islands Peaks Race. Crew required.

Forum for general cruising topics
mm5aho
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 32

Scottish Islands Peaks Race. Crew required.

Postby mm5aho » Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:44 pm

I'd been planning an entry in the SIPR 2014 for some time, based on two experienced runners who are also experienced sailors, and one less experienced but very fit runner: but as Burns said... "The best laid plans..."
One has pulled out due to family commitment, one of the pair of fit types has suffered serious illness (see what ultra fitness does?), and won't be capable, and these two run as a pair.
That left me short, even shorter, there's only me!
Now I've found two more keen runners, one a very experienced sailor too. (both female)
But I'm still short of sailors. Anyone interested?

For plenty of details, see http://www.scottishislandspeaksrace.com/

Now Marisca is an entry I see, and with same two female runners as last year I think.
I wonder how a Rival 32 with 2 female runners would compete with a Contessa 32 and 2 female runners?

If you're interested to help me solve that question, please be in contact. We'd have to go some to catch last years 2nd place getters in Class 3 (cruisers).
There are others from here for us to chase too!
Geoff.
"Contender" Rival 32: Roseneath in winter, Mooring off Gourock in summer.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Re: Scottish Islands Peaks Race. Crew required.

Postby marisca » Tue Jan 07, 2014 11:23 pm

Hope you get your team together, Geoff. There is a runner form guide at http://www.scottishhillracing.co.uk/Runners.aspx - just stick in their names and get their results.

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Mon Feb 17, 2014 9:20 pm

Well having got a crew organised for the 2nd time, we have one who can't make it (no fault, things just work out that way).
Short of one sailor. Runners are organised, and require three sailors. As well as me, there's one forumite from this parish, but now require one more crew.
Anyone interested?

Race starts at Oban Friday 16th May, and we might be back on Sunday night? or so! Ending Troon.
Delivery to Oban (from Rhu) optional, we have 4 so far from that leg, but welcome that leg too. But require that crew member on the Friday morning in Oban ready, with some flexibility for arrival time at Troon.

PM, email, aldis lamp, semaphore or homing pidgeon.

Geoff
Geoff.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:28 pm

I don't think you've really tried to sell the opportunity well enough, Geoff. It's a fantastic event that would take pride of place on any sailor's CV. How else could they get 160nm of sailing in a weekend through the most picturesque waters of the west coast? Tidal gates, night sailing, mile building, rowing - the SIPR has them all in abundance.
Good Luck!

mm5aho
Old Salt

Postby mm5aho » Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:57 am

Let me put a more interesting proposition...

"Who would like an opportunity to participate in an attempt to beat Marisca in perhaps the most challenging race in West Scotland's sailing year?"
Geoff.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:55 am

That should get them queuing up! One of the great things about SIPR is that success for the sailors can only come if the runners perform well. The runners compete on a level playing field (or maybe on the same mountains is more apt) affected only a little by when they get rowed ashore - night running being a bit slower for some reason - but the sailing is so dependant on tidal gates with 6 hours so easy to lose no matter how good the sailors are. Makes the excuses so easy - if only we had got to Duart/Fladda/MoK an hour earlier ..............

MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

Postby MrMcP » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:19 am

Please don't say things like that....it puts undue pressure on backup runners...

Return to “Shooting the breeze”