2013 Malts Cruise

Tell us where you've been, trade information
marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

2013 Malts Cruise

Postby marisca » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:38 pm

The World Cruising Club have published the dates for their "Malts Cruise" - how you do a malts cruise without Islay beats me. Anyway, if you are needing something to do with other people, Billy Forteith's Round Mull race also starts on 5th July. I can't seem to find a price for the cruise on their site but I'm willing to bet it is enough to buy a few bottles of malt instead.

2013 Malts Cruise Itinerary

5 July Malts Cruise office opens in Oban
7 July Parade of Sail
Oban to Tobermory
9 July Rendezvous Isle of Rum
11 July Rendezvous Loch Harport, Skye
15 July Rendezvous Plockton
Rendezvous Tobermory
18 July Final cruise supper
Mull Highland Games
This is a provisional itinerary only, and rendezvous dates are subject to confirmation.

wully
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: sailie boatie

Re: 2013 Malts Cruise

Postby wully » Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:49 pm

The cruise used to be fun then they got Chays lot involved and ruined it.

I agree - Islay is the Whisky island and a Classic Malt cruise without it is pants.

stevepick
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Dufour 40

2013 Malts around mull

Postby stevepick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:25 am

Hmm, I appear to have been sent the wrong race instructions for the last 6 years of "round mull". We have always considered the event to be a "malts" cruise :D . Already looking forward to the round mull for next year, partly because we have a new boat "Ataraxia" , so stand a chance of getting to Bunessan before the buffet runs out and the dancing has started.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:24 pm

Do tell! What is "Ataraxia", apart from a state of emotional tranquillity, and what class is she going to be in?

stevepick
Master Mariner

Postby stevepick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:52 pm

marisca wrote:Do tell! What is "Ataraxia", apart from a state of emotional tranquillity, and what class is she going to be in?

Alastair

I'm impressed by your knowledge of greek! She is a Dufour 40 ( we had an attack of the Roy Scheider "we're gonna need a bigger boat" syndrome) - so she should be around CYCA 9.6/9.7 - haven't sent in the handicap app form yet. Should be room for the drink on board now and space for folk to sleep. We have a spinnaker and if we can get the practise and courage together we plan sailing in the spinnaker class. The good news is we get a lie in because we start later, the bad news is we are playing with the big , bad racer boys in the faster classes. Can't wait to get out, she is in Ardrossan at the moment, but timing and weather have not conspired to get us a day sail.

Steve

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:03 pm

Sounds great. You'll be on the pontoons at T'mory then while us jolly little boat sailor boys are trying to find a place to anchor.
Be warned, trying to overtake us through the Erraid steamer passage is not recommended.

stevepick
Master Mariner

steamer non passage

Postby stevepick » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:01 pm

Don't worry about me overtaking anyone there. Every time I have gone down there with every intention of not cutting the corner, and every year I follow all the others through. I was only a cable or 2 behind the boat that hit the rock at tinkers hole last year. It didn't sound good. Broaching near rocks caused 3 incidents I am aware of last year, I am extra careful about close reaching with the spinnaker now :shock: . Did you see the J111 after west highland week? Ouch, I am amazed they didn't sink.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Re: steamer non passage

Postby marisca » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:20 pm

stevepick wrote: Did you see the J111 after west highland week? Ouch, I am amazed they didn't sink.

I not only saw it after, I was probably the most leeward of the boats that they heaved up to windward to pass. They were lucky there was no serious damage to the crew.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:29 pm

2013 Malts Cruise Itinerary

5 July Malts Cruise office opens in Oban
7 July Parade of Sail
Oban to Tobermory
9 July Rendezvous Isle of Rum
11 July Rendezvous Loch Harport, Skye
15 July Rendezvous Plockton
Rendezvous Tobermory
18 July Final cruise supper
Mull Highland Games
This is a provisional itinerary only, and rendezvous dates are subject to confirmation.

Can someone tell me what Distillery is on Rhum or at Plockton, please?

neilmclaren
Midshipman
Boat Type: Windrush 600

Postby neilmclaren » Tue Apr 30, 2013 1:16 pm

Anyone looking for crew on the Malts Cruise. I am visiting from Australia. Currently I crew on a Beneteau First 35 and also sail my own Windrush 600 (20' catamaran). Best regards, Neil

Return to “Passages and Places”