Eilan Garbh - Gigha anchorage

Tell us where you've been, trade information
pagoda
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Jeanneau 42iPerformance

Eilan Garbh - Gigha anchorage

Postby pagoda » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:09 pm

I'm probably going South & round the Mull next Sunday/monday -and my current guesswork on tides suggests Gigha as the obvious place to hesitate.
However, there's a ridge of higher pressure looking possible - and I may end up with North Easterlies. Fine for sailing - less good for a quiet night near Gigha. Ardminish with any East is lumpy, and there are no pick-ups for the moorings either.
Has anybody been into the south bay at Eilan Garbh to anchor? It looks ideal for shelter in a N/NE. I cycled to the bay last year- but it was close to HW so got no clues about LW hazards. It gets mentions in various places- but little detail. The North facing bay looks clean.. but not likely to be appropriate.
Any info welcome.
Apologies to those of you who spot a similar post on TOP.... :wink:

thanks, Graeme

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Eilan Garbh - Gigha anchorage

Postby Telo » Mon Aug 22, 2011 2:35 pm

We've anchored on both sides of the doirlinn; last year in the south bay while it was blowing a northerly six. It's fine, all straightforward as I recall.

ubergeekian
Old Salt
Boat Type: Victoria 26

Re: Eilan Garbh - Gigha anchorage

Postby ubergeekian » Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:25 pm

pagoda wrote:However, there's a ridge of higher pressure looking possible - and I may end up with North Easterlies. Fine for sailing - less good for a quiet night near Gigha. Ardminish with any East is lumpy, and there are no pick-ups for the moorings either.
Has anybody been into the south bay at Eilan Garbh to anchor?

That is said to have been the Queen's favourite anchorages in Britannia. If it was good enough for Her Majesty...
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity - Hanlon's Razor
But don't rule out malice - First Corollary to Hanlon's Razor

Return to “Passages and Places”