SIPR 2011

Forum for general cruising topics
MrMcP
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Other peoples...

SIPR 2011

Postby MrMcP » Fri May 13, 2011 9:54 am

Best of luck to those entering. I believe Marisca is taking part whereas I'll be jealously following events from behind a keyboard this year. Typically, after a year of gales followed by a year of rowing, this time the weather looks fresh and fast. No doubt if we return in 2012 it'll be mayhem again.

Hope to be down in Troon Sunday to see some of the finishers, just to torture myself further.....

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Re: SIPR 2011

Postby MrMcP » Fri May 13, 2011 9:55 am

Just found http://www.carnethy.com/sipr2011-spray.htm which lets you follow one of the tris round. Given the wind, they should reach some impressive speeds....

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Fri May 13, 2011 1:36 pm

They'll be hoping it is fast......5 guys on a F27 is not comfy. Any idea how many entered this year? Couldn't see anything on the website this year

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Fri May 13, 2011 2:39 pm

I think they finally got 47 entries in, so about the usual number. Looking at the forecast, I think they should be pretty quick after the runners come off Mull. Last I heard my relatives doing the race had left Oban in 6th, so fingers crossed for them.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Sat May 14, 2011 5:47 pm

Spray seems to be doing rather well. Sat 5.45 pm and they're just off Pladda!.
Pitty SIPR website doesn't have any up to date info, they could do a lot better.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Sun May 15, 2011 7:31 am

I had a text from my mate on Sat evening from somewhere S of the Mull so good times being made generally I think.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Sun May 15, 2011 9:34 am

We went down to Troon last night to see my brother-in-law's boat in. Stopped by the office and a few interesting stories...

New course record of 32hrs for Obedient, the giant cat. Some incredible sailing times and a very close race all round - the top 4 boats in class 2 all dropped their runners at Arran inside 15mins of each other. Sceptre, the 1958 Americas Cup boat, was carrying a youth entry this year but unfortunately hit the rocks off Craighouse. Didn't quite get all the details but it then appears they were worried about rounding the Mull with damage so transferred the kids off their boat somewhere after Craighouse. Possibly just as well - while rounding the Mull they then lost their rudder and the RNLI recovered them to Campbeltown.

Winner in class 2 was a lovely HR37 that had only been collected from Sweden a fortnight ago!

Some runners at the end were saying that a worrying amount of the teams seemed to have very ill-equipped runners. As early as Mull people were visibly struggling, and as late as Arran marshals were off to recover people from the hill.

Amazing watching the effort from the organisers to try and keep track of where all the boats are, and Troon's efforts to figure out where to put them all when they arrive. Some interesting damage to some of the boats too - can see the contractors there being busy for a while.....

Well done to the finishers, from the wide-eyed looks on some of them it must have been a bit of a sleigh ride out there this time...

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Sun May 15, 2011 10:27 am

Pretty amazing times, the problem with such fast sailing times is that there is no time for the runners to recover.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun May 15, 2011 4:55 pm

Aye, Ogun was missed this year to the extent that a certain Bendytoy 305 didn't have the will to continue past Jura without your competition. I think they suffered badly from putting 4 over Ben More and only having a short recovery time before Jura rather than the leisurely row they had last year.
Marisca got 3rd in Class 3 and I don't think we could have gone round any faster - if only Contessa 32s had a flatter run aft, then we could have got over the hump but we left an impressive wash behind trying. It was an almost ideal year for wind and tides (for us anyway) - flood up to Salen, last of the ebb down the Sound of Mull, start of the ebb past Fladda and carried all the way to Craighouse, and the start of the ebb round MoK carried to Pladda with only beats from Craignure to Salen and from Whiting Bay to Lamlash, the rest was a beam reach or freer, including a sleigh ride down the Sound of Mull with the spinnaker. You may gather that, unlike MrMcP, I have no aspirations to athleticism and it would have been much much more relaxing with slower runners so that I could have had a decent kip.
As usual, the organisers deserve huge praise for their superb organisation and its a pity that they don't attract commercial sponsorship for what is a very worthy and broad sporting endeavour. Now, does anyone have a giant cat or tri I could borrow for next year? Maybe I should drop Gludy a line - I could almost guarantee he would have something more to complain about afterwards!
Sent from Troon Marina's wifi

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Sun May 15, 2011 8:43 pm

marisca wrote:Aye, Ogun was missed this year to the extent that a certain Bendytoy 305 didn't have the will to continue past Jura without your competition. I think they suffered badly from putting 4 over Ben More and only having a short recovery time before Jura rather than the leisurely row they had last year.
Marisca got 3rd in Class 3 and I don't think we could have gone round any faster - if only Contessa 32s had a flatter run aft, then we could have got over the hump but we left an impressive wash behind trying. It was an almost ideal year for wind and tides (for us anyway) - flood up to Salen, last of the ebb down the Sound of Mull, start of the ebb past Fladda and carried all the way to Craighouse, and the start of the ebb round MoK carried to Pladda with only beats from Craignure to Salen and from Whiting Bay to Lamlash, the rest was a beam reach or freer, including a sleigh ride down the Sound of Mull with the spinnaker. You may gather that, unlike MrMcP, I have no aspirations to athleticism and it would have been much much more relaxing with slower runners so that I could have had a decent kip.
As usual, the organisers deserve huge praise for their superb organisation and its a pity that they don't attract commercial sponsorship for what is a very worthy and broad sporting endeavour. Now, does anyone have a giant cat or tri I could borrow for next year? Maybe I should drop Gludy a line - I could almost guarantee he would have something more to complain about afterwards!
Sent from Troon Marina's wifi

Sounds like a fantastic weekend of sailing, one small point and it's probably due to tiredness...wouldn't that be the flood from MOK to Pladda if you carried it? :wink: :wink:

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Sun May 15, 2011 10:39 pm

Booby Trapper wrote:
Sounds like a fantastic weekend of sailing, one small point and it's probably due to tiredness...wouldn't that be the flood from MOK to Pladda if you carried it? :wink: :wink:

Yeh, you're right - it is the other side of the amphidrome from Corryv etc. so if southward flow is ebb to the north of it, then it is flood to the south

Booby Trapper
Old Salt

Postby Booby Trapper » Sun May 15, 2011 10:50 pm

marisca wrote:
Booby Trapper wrote:

Yeh, you're right - it is the other side of the amphidrome from Corryv etc. so if southward flow is ebb to the north of it, then it is flood to the south

I always just go with it flooding into the Clyde from MOK

MrMcP
Master Mariner

Postby MrMcP » Mon May 16, 2011 3:16 pm

Congrats marisca, nice result. Shame about Mara, we saw the 'retired' note against their name on the finishing board and did wonder what had happened.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”