ThreePointFix

Tell us where you've been, trade information
FullCircle
Old Salt

ThreePointFix

Postby FullCircle » Sun Jan 09, 2011 3:26 pm

Having read Markie's post about ActiveCaptain, have you guys been to visit ThreePointFix.co.uk?

www.threepointfix.co.uk

It was devised and run by one your occasional visitors here known as Morgana.

You can add locations and details, view charts of the area, in fact lots of things.

We are finding it very useful on the East Coast, and I think a lot of locations on West Cost of Scotland have been added.

Go look.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: ThreePointFix

Postby Silkie » Mon Jan 10, 2011 9:47 pm

DaveS has already been busy I see and I've now added my own tuppence.
different colours made of tears

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:31 am

Needing some more contributors from the Clyde (DaveS seems to have made the majority of the entries!) and the Forth - surely there are some poor souls who sail there. :P

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Jan 12, 2011 11:53 am

Well I tried to add Port Edgar. There I was waxing lyrical about the ineffectual tyre barrier, clashing masts, lack of depth, etc. and had got to saving the restaurant bit when I got the dreaded 404 page and on trying to get back in it tells me my user name doesn't exist.

On second thoughts, it's probably better to leave the east coast of Scotland blank. Stops people being disappointed when they get here!

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:23 pm

Neil did have a problem earlier this week with his server/host supply company, apparently a major London company. I believe its fixed now.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:18 pm

FullCircle wrote:Neil did have a problem earlier this week with his server/host supply company, apparently a major London company. I believe its fixed now.

Happens to the best of us. This site was down for three or four hours yesterday due to a false fire alarm in the data centre shutting down all the servers.
- Nick 8)

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:53 pm

It's back again and my deathless prose on the subject of Port Edgar has appeared. Incidently, who do they sue for libel - me or TPF?

Alan_D
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Konsort

Postby Alan_D » Wed Jan 12, 2011 4:20 pm

I see that TPF lists 5 "close locations" to Port Edgar. If you don't like it there, it shouldn't take too long to get to Troon, Largs, Whitehaven etc.

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:29 pm

Alan_D wrote:I see that TPF lists 5 "close locations" to Port Edgar. If you don't like it there, it shouldn't take too long to get to Troon, Largs, Whitehaven etc.

Geography isn't your strongest point, is it? Anyway, I own Port Edgar, or a tiny wee bit of it along with all the other cooncil tax payers of Ed'burg, so it's up to me to make it better.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:51 pm

OMG! A council run marina!! :roll:

If my experience of Council run Harbours is anything to go by, it will be a disaster. The decision makers have no idea whatsoever about the value of what they have or the needs of their users.

Even worse, they don't give a damn! Cutting costs for "ratepayers" is their sole arbiter. Sadly, they won't see the benefit of a profitable organisation enticing money spending visitors to their town. :x

Councils! Yeaugh! Incompetent amateurs with no experience of running a successful business & too stupid to seek or listen to professional dvice.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet

Postby Silkie » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:49 pm

FullCircle wrote:Neil did have a problem earlier this week with his server/host supply company, apparently a major London company. I believe its fixed now.

Apparently the same problem cropped up earlier today and was fixed but now it's away again. Neil said he sent some "firmly" worded emails earlier - I bet they're a lot more firmly worded now. :evil:

marisca
Yellow Admiral

Postby marisca » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 pm

It gets better. Council doesn't run it directly. They have hived it off to Edinburgh Leisure Ltd, an independent management company set up to control all the sports facilities on behalf of City of Edinburgh Council. EL currently control 26 sites and facilities including flagship locations such as Meadowbank Stadium and Royal Commonwealth Pool, along with tennis courses, golf courses and bowling greens etc. and Port Edgar. So the decision making and accountability is somewhat divorced from the elected (accountable) representatives to the so-called professionals. Mix this with a regime of mismanagement - Meadowbank is a dump, Commie Pool is being refurbished at huge cost but not to a standard that can actually host top class events, the Climbing Centre is running at a loss and is getting yet another new roof, golf course revenues have plummeted - it is not difficult to understand where the marina revenues go. It is certainly not spent on the marina.

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Thu Jan 13, 2011 12:57 am

Marisca - I'm hopping up the East Coast in May so your insights are very welcome! Go ahead on 3 point Fix ; I've done Queenboro' for anyone doing the reverse trip so it seems only fair - ah yes, another place sort of run by council but let's not get Searush started again, the nurses have only just got him settled.

Magna Carter
Master Mariner

Postby Magna Carter » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:40 am

Silkie wrote:Apparently the same problem cropped up earlier today and was fixed but now it's away again. Neil said he sent some "firmly" worded emails earlier - I bet they're a lot more firmly worded now. :evil:

Certainly were!

What happened was after the outage (same one that affected Bluemoment - we use the same hosting co.), they had a further technical issue to resolve.... and it didn't quite work!

Because the load on the database servers is quite high, they use a technique called 'load balancing'... basically, they have two servers with the same content on them, and when someone visits the site, the hardware automatically decides which server is being used the least and directs the user there.... then quietly in the background, the servers update each other to keep them synchronised.... only they didn't!

Looks like its sorted now... sorry!
2nd in command, East Coast embassy, Scotland.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:06 pm

marisca wrote:It gets better. (blah blah whinge whinge etc.) - it is not difficult to understand where the marina revenues go. It is certainly not spent on the marina.

Yes well, there is quite a lot wrong with Port Edgar but it has kept going for >30years, they have just managed after some technical difficulties -eventually- to install some pretty smart new pontoons.... It's a bit rubbish in some respects but it's relatively cheap and not as bad as Marisca likes to make people think. EL has recently had some senior management changes so maybe we will see some changes ahead.
Ken
Fulmar 32 Fingal

Return to “Passages and Places”