Error in Lawrence - Ardinamir

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Error in Lawrence - Ardinamir

Postby Silkie » Sun Aug 22, 2010 6:29 pm

In The Yachtsman’s Pilot to the Isle of Mull and adjacent coasts 3rd Edition, 2008:

Page 27. LH col. line 11
For ‘which dries’ substitute ‘at a depth of’.

I was going to report it directly to Imray but have been beaten to it so I thought I would mention it here just in case anyone has been lax in correcting their brand new pilot book.

It's easy enough to spot that it is only an error but MA (Morbid Apprehension) sufferers will doubtless wish to thank me for this post should they ever happen to be first to leave in the morning, just after LW.
different colours made of tears

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Re: Error in Lawrence - Ardinamir

Postby DaveS » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:44 am

Thanks for that, I've not been into Ardinamir for some years. There's a great view from the iron age fort above the anchorage...

For the benefit of those of us who try to update earlier editions and have them on board rather than to hand, could you maybe give a wee bit more context?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Aug 23, 2010 10:59 am

DaveS wrote:There's a great view from the iron age fort above the anchorage...

The solar haze can occasionally restrict the view. We had to use the sun canopy that day;

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:48 am

Silkie wrote:In The Yachtsman’s Pilot to the Isle of Mull and adjacent coasts 3rd Edition, 2008: ........

What's all this updated edition stuff? I thought a pilot book, like a puppy, was for life.
Is there actually truth in the rumour that rocks move? (without being hit, that is.)
Marinas apart, my '70s blue book is grand.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 23, 2010 11:56 am

sahona wrote: Is there actually truth in the rumour that rocks move? (without being hit, that is.)

I reckon the rocks in the MacCormaig Isles move. At least I couldn't find the one to the West with an Oar.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:27 pm

Mark wrote:
sahona wrote: Is there actually truth in the rumour that rocks move? (without being hit, that is.)

I reckon the rocks in the MacCormaig Isles move. At least I couldn't find the one to the West with an Oar.

You are using the wrong tool. What you really need to find a rock is a keel. My dad found Kiels rock with his keel no problem, only the once though. Now he goes nearly to Ghia before turning to go up the Sound of Jura from Loch Sween.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 23, 2010 12:41 pm

aquaplane wrote:You are using the wrong tool. What you really need to find a rock is a keel.

:D

That method seems fraught with problems. Firstly, I'm not sure I could row the dinghy with a keel gaffer taped to the oar. Also what would be holding the boat upright while I did the survey?

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Mon Aug 23, 2010 2:34 pm

Mark wrote:

Several years ago, some military types attempted to tidy up the McCormaig anchorage with explosives. I heard they were unsuccessful but perhaps not, or they had another go?
Derek

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:09 pm

cpedw wrote:
Mark wrote:

Several years ago, some military types attempted to tidy up the McCormaig anchorage with explosives. I heard they were unsuccessful but perhaps not, or they had another go?

I did a bit of searching around the transit with no luck & there was no sign of kelp so I'm tempted by the idea that the military have made the anchorage a bit more user-friendly. However, it seems far more plausible that I just didn't put the oar down on the right spot and/or the rock is deeper than the oar plus a bit of my forearm.

If anyone is prepared to lend me their boat and enough diesel, I should be able to settle the question with some certainty. In the event that I find it I'll kill two birds with one stone by leaving the top portion of a long aluminum post in situ, to mark the exact spot.

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Mon Aug 23, 2010 3:52 pm

The one on the west is no longer there. I've tried to find it several times with my keel but to no avail. The guy who owns 'Venture West' (the RIB company in Loch Sween) told me it had been blown up, but the one on the east is most definitely still there, if not in all its former glory (after a spot of explosive action). I marked on the pilot where it is, but the pilot's on board. It's closer to the shore than I had realised. E&OE! Sadly we now have a turning circle about 4 times the size of the pool & cannot go astern with any predictability so it's off limits until I get more confident... Did my best to find Goat Rock off Craighouse last week while my concentration was elsewhere but luckily failed to engage.
---
Shuggy

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:07 pm

DaveS wrote:For the benefit of those of us who try to update earlier editions and have them on board rather than to hand, could you maybe give a wee bit more context?

You know about the fact that the perches are now one of each colour rather than two green? See here.

The third edition of the pilot tries to describe how much water is available south of the green perch (1.5m) and north of the red one and gets the latter wrong when it states that the sill dries 1.1m instead of lying at a depth of 1.1m. The second edition didn't give this detail and so couldn't get it wrong.
different colours made of tears

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Aug 24, 2010 2:54 pm

Ah, right, all is now clear!

Return to “Passages and Places”