A Proposal

Tell us where you've been, trade information
sawdoc
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Offshore 8 metre

A Proposal

Postby sawdoc » Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:52 pm

Hi

I thought I would float an idea to see what reaction it prompts. Here goes.....

I have a tidy 26 ft Van De Stadt designed Offshore 8 meter which we have just lifted out for the winter - she is now on the hard at the side of the house. We normally moor her April to October in Galway Bay on our own mooring at Galway Bay Sailing Club. We have cruised her extensively for the last five summers on the west coast of Ireland. She will sleep 4 in reasonable comfort and 5 at a pinch.
We would like to spend a week or two cruising west coast Scotland - not too particular about specific areas as long as there was a handful of recommended locations within reasonable sailing distance.

Was wondering if anyone with a good seaworthy boat based West coast Scotland would consider a boat swop for a week or a fortnight next summer? I've not tried this before and of course there are lots of pitfalls but who knows it could work...
If anyone genuine is interested in seeing if we could make the idea work, please get in touch and I can supply any info required.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Re: A Proposal

Postby aquaplane » Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:51 pm

It can work, my parents got talking to someone on a jetty on Windermere who had a Leisure 27 similar to theirs. The had a week on Ginny Pink on the Solent and the other couple sailed Fari on Windermere.

Trusting someone to take your pride and joy off into the sunset can't be easy though. Sailing together with someone in each others cruising ground may be a good staring point.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:09 am

We have cruised Fairwinds round Ireland and would love to go back to the West Coast. Can we register a definite 'maybe' at this point?
- Nick 8)

sawdoc
Able Seaman

Postby sawdoc » Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:18 am

Hi Nick

Read your Fairwinds round Ireland Blog -well done. Great voyage to have taken on - thanks for the interest.

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:01 pm

Could offer you an alternative of East Coast England.....

sawdoc
Able Seaman

Postby sawdoc » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:02 am

hi folks,

In fairness to those who have expressed an interest, I intend putting a modest website together providing some info on Galway Bay and what it has to offer -I have it started and hopefully will populate it with a bit of interesting content over the next week or so - these dark evening with the rain lashing down outside are ideal !

might all come to naught but so what!!

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Nov 20, 2009 12:27 am

sawdoc wrote:I intend putting a modest website together providing some info on Galway Bay and what it has to offer -I have it started and hopefully will populate it with a bit of interesting content over the next week or so - these dark evening with the rain lashing down outside are ideal !

Now that sounds like a worthwhile project. Like to go back there again some time.

sawdoc
Able Seaman

Postby sawdoc » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:46 pm

Shard wrote:
sawdoc wrote:I intend putting a modest website together providing some info on Galway Bay and what it has to offer -I have it started and hopefully will populate it with a bit of interesting content over the next week or so - these dark evening with the rain lashing down outside are ideal !

Now that sounds like a worthwhile project. Like to go back there again some time.

Hi Folks,

I have stuck toe in water in terms of web creation - it is very much a work in progress and of course there is much room for improvement.

http://nighean-donn.webs.com/

Don't expect to win any prizes but it may be of some interest to a few. If anyone has any suggestions as to where additional content would help, comments are welcome, particularly from anyone who has gone through the web site or blog creation process.
Here's to more adventures in 2010

Return to “Passages and Places”