Dopey question

Forum for general cruising topics
claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Dopey question

Postby claymore » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:10 pm

It seems to take me ages to get all the cushions and stuff onto the boat at the start of each year once she has been craned back in.
Faced with the equally laborious prospect of beginning to take it all off again, I've been pondering over whether to leave her in this winter.
She is in a marina, the electricity is part of the deal and so I can leave the greenhouse heaters in and she would probably stay more aired than if she came out.

I'm also looking for an early ride North in the spring - perhaps even earlier if there was a big static high sat over us. The tides to get back in are a bit on the late side and so this plan could be compromised if she comes out.

Price-wise there is very little difference. i can go alongside a yacht club jetty to dry out and stick some antifoul on so there is no cost there.
The insurance is covered either in or out.
Go on... you decide.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Re: Dopey question

Postby JohnBuch » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:18 pm

The winter I kept the boat in I think I got more done than if she had been on the hard - was more pleasant going down to a floating boat- and had a couple of good sails in December in a very quiet Upper Clyde. BUT one of my teak cleats was snapped during a wild night storm. Really a decision you can only make yourself but I would consider it again under certain circumstances. Don't remember the boat being any more damp inside than in years when I had her on the hard.

I can guarantee that there will be replies from people who have very strong views about this - I wish I could be as sure about one thing as they are about everything! Actually now that I think about it is this a :troll: ?

John
Albin Vega 3040 Fleur

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:31 pm

The idea being that time out allows her to dry through and delays/prevents the onset of Osmosis? Or are there other reasons?

I read 'Fibre Glass Boats' earlier this year and (IIRC) I was left with the impression that taking the boat out was a good idea. I wondered at the time if keeping it in over winter and taking it out for the whole of August (when the weather is good for drying and the Solent is crowded with ****s and the North is crowded with mozzis) might be a good idea.

Anyway, my completely uninformed opinion is leave it in. You get a few months extra use out of it every year so if the lifetime of the boat is reduced who cares - you got more use out of it.

I'd be interested to see if a definitive answer emerges!

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:42 am

claymore wrote:I've been pondering over whether to leave her in this winter.

Some amongst us have thought that without immediate immersion, after a somewhat lengthy re-fit, the planks would be sprung beyond repair and a watery grave would be the outcome. But, no, the auld tub survived.

Some lateral thinking is required ... hmmm ...

Fer one, when faced with the usual list of household chores, the ability to tap the barometer and, helpfully, it swings anti-clockwise by 90 degrees or, when perusing the latest weather forecast and a particularly unpleasant Irish Sea gale is forecast; all offer an opportunity to "pop down" to the boat and ensure the fenders are in place etc. Dear heart is unlikely to refute such a suggestion even though yer hoos's name suggests that a part of England several hundred miles to the south is visible but such is merely a slight exaggeration and the chances of dear heart being able to see yer tub from the front door is unlikely.

Fer two, there will be many opportunities with the Muzz to fine tune and test the equipment recently installed whilst taking refreshments.

Fer three, the engine will benefit from a regular firing up; perhaps weekly? and, if done in the company of some like-minded soul, the prospect of further partaking of refreshment?

Not wishing to throw any nasturtiums but, one could point to the occasions when, at the commencement of the year, some items, albeit few, have obstinately refused to work. I'm thinking in particular of the bog when, fortuitously, the south coast's expert in such matters was present and able to effect a speedy repair and allow us to get away.

Now, it might appear that all of this diatribe might be directed toward one outcome eg the relationship between continuous imbibing and refreshments with the attendant utilisation of the masheratoring device but, this is vital ...

(ps webbie .. jings the editor package is a bit flakey oan this new thing?)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:04 am

Nae me Para me auld cauli . . . . nae doot it's Microshaft's new whizzbang Internet Exploder 8. Jist set this site tae compatibility view in yer Tools menu and boab's yer uncle.
- Nick 8)

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:16 am

Nick wrote:.

Nae me Para me auld cauli . . . . nae doot it's Microshaft's new whizzbang Internet Exploder 8. Jist set this site tae compatibility view in yer Tools menu and boab's yer uncle.

Jings, yer a wee darling .. it works .. it is IE8

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:31 pm

Just done the numbers and its a fair bit less tae stay in so there we have it. Thanks to all participants in the thread.
It seems the Chents Cruise just came a step nearer. Whilst we often have people joining from the far flung corners of the hameland - Fae Dallens Bay tae Croabh - perhaps we could start it a week or two before with feeder cruises fae the Clyde and Fleetwood?

I was intrigued by an article that was written by Ken Endean (I think) that supported the notion of cruising around Britain over a series of weekends.
So assuming that we get a series of High pressures at weekend through April:

Para - I have you on for a choice of 3
Fleetwood - Whitehaven
Whitehaven - Clyde
Clyde - Kilmelford.

If you chose the last one, we would not be going through the Crinan as I cannot afford the repairs...
Regards
Claymore

ParaHandy
Old Salt

Postby ParaHandy » Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:40 pm

claymore wrote:Para - If you chose the last one, we would not be going through the Crinan as I cannot afford the repairs...

harrumph .. ma driving's nae as bad as the Muzzy

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:04 pm

Noo - its not - but its nae better either.
The Muz decides tae take oan a truck - youse went fer the aquatic equivalent I recall.
Regards
Claymore

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Sep 22, 2009 5:49 am

claymore wrote:It seems to take me ages to get all the cushions and stuff onto the boat at the start of each year once she has been craned back in.
Faced with the equally laborious prospect of beginning to take it all off again, I've been pondering over whether to leave her in this winter.
She is in a marina, the electricity is part of the deal and so I can leave the greenhouse heaters in and she would probably stay more aired than if she came out.

Well, I think that the issue of empying the boat is separate from the decision about leaving her in the water. FWIW I have taken to leaving my cushions in (minus any covers taken home to wash) and rely on a dehumidifier emptying into the sink to keep things dry. Seems to work OK, and saves a couple of car trips.

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:58 am

I'm an innie! I lift the boat out one a year fror a long w/e in the summer to antifoul and replace the anode .. aprt from that sh'e in all the time. Get some marvellous winter days.

I'd get the boat up sooner rather than later as the weather patterns over the last few years have given good springs but crap summers

claymore
Admiral of the Green

Postby claymore » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:42 pm

Aahh Jamesie - the dulcet tones of a volunteer - pick yer leg.
Regards
Claymore

Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Postby Alcyone » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:27 pm

I'm struggling with this. Is it that I am still using IE7, or should I upgrade my version of jockscript?

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:42 pm

Alcyone wrote:

I'm struggling with this. Is it that I am still using IE7, or should I upgrade my version of jockscript?

Fit wye? Dye nae ken fit yer deein or fit? It's nae jist yersel, so yer nae a tumshie.
Jist haud gan wi' fit yuv got the noo loon, thirs nae ower much a dee wee fit yer usin'.IE8's a bit oh a scunner.
I cin mine an auld een oh thon add-on jobbies aff thon Firefox, thit wid dee a bit o' translating... bit fit a carry on I hid. It wis an affa crater oh a beestie at.
Jist bide we fit yer dee'in ur yil jist end up an an affa sotter.

Alcyone
Old Salt
Boat Type: Cobra 850, Cardiff and Dale

Postby Alcyone » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:53 pm

I've read two Irving Welsh books and watched an entire series of Rab, but failed to understand this.

Babel fish struggled with it, but I did manage to get it translated into German for you:

Passendes Ypsilon? YER-deein oder Sitz Färbung nae Ken passendes? It' s nae jist yersel, so YER nae ein tumshie. Jist haud gan wi' passendes yuv erhielt den noo Loon, das viele thirs nae ower ein passender YER usin' des dee kleinen Stückes; .IE8' Spitze S.-A. oh ein scunner. Cin I Grube ein altes een oh thon Zusatzjobbies aff thon Firefox, thit wid dee eine Spitze o' das Übersetzen… der Spitze passte weitermachen, das ich mich versteckte. Es WIS ein affa Krater oh ein beestie an. Jist warten uns passte YER dee' ab; im ur yil jist beenden Sie oben ein affa sotter.

I think the correct ending here is.....HTH

Return to “Shooting the breeze”