COLREGS Toughy......

Forum for general cruising topics
puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

COLREGS Toughy......

Postby puddock » Mon Aug 17, 2009 3:42 pm

Been youtubing..........

A difficult COLREGS one here (at the end).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iB-CKbd76CM

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Re: COLREGS Toughy......

Postby Gardenshed » Mon Aug 17, 2009 5:59 pm

I trust that the "toughy" comment is tounge in cheek because the real answer is not difficult at all.

Port tack should have kept clear but starboard tack yacht should have been keeping a look out and been ready to take avoiding action if the port tack boat didn't alter course.

If they were racing, then the port tacker would be disqualifed for not keeping clear and the starboard tack boat disqualified for not avoiding an avoidable collision.
Even when racing, the regulations require that collisions are avoided.

If they were not racing, then under the Colregs (The Rules of the Road:
International Regulations for Avoiding Collisions at Sea) there is an obligation on both parties to keep a lookout and take avoiding action if the stand on vessel hasn't indicated that they will keep clear.

I doubt that an insurance company would pay-out to the starboard tacker on the basis that "......but he should have kept clear"

puddock
Old Salt

Postby puddock » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:00 pm

It was a little tongue in cheek BUT thanks for the info on the racing rules. I just watched the video and couldn't help wondering how neither of the two boats saw each other -then again, I have never raced but would imagine the workload and focus would be pretty intense.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:39 pm

Back in the good 'ole days, you could enforce your "rights" but the increasing competitiveness of sailing and professionalism/higher stakes meant that there was an increase in collisions and potentially (with faster boats and higher closing speeds) more chance of major damage and people getting hurt.... hence the change.

When I'm out 'n about, I always take the view that other boats a) haven't seen us b) don't know the rules c) may have have some other reason for not being able to get out of our way so always pass behind or make your intentions clear if they haven't shown any sign of seeing and avoiding me.

When racing, it is easy to get into the mindset that "we're beating on starboard so everyone else will get out of the way", not to look and he presto... accident. But, when racing tactically it is really important to know where your competitors are and whether or not they are lifted or headed so you should be aware of all your competitors all the time whether on port or starboard and not have unpleasant surprises. Quite frequently, even on starboard I've waved a competior through rather than have them tack underneath on the basis that at that time left was the way we wanted to go.

No, I'm not perfect and have had my fair share of last minute crash tacks, and being "t-boned" including one memorable collison of Gourock when on Caligula (a minitonner) we were T-boned by a six meter cruiser racer being helmed by the Naval commander (woodward?) who was responsible for sinking the belgrano. We all make mistakes

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Aug 18, 2009 1:41 am

Not everyone can claim to have been "dinged" by a bloke who sank a Cruiser, I may consider that to be a battle honour.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

puddock
Old Salt

Postby puddock » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:42 pm

aquaplane wrote:Not everyone can claim to have been "dinged" by a bloke who sank a Cruiser, I may consider that to be a battle honour.

That would of course depend on whether you were headed toward or away from the exclusion zone....
As an aside, I once worked with a chap who was serving onboard HMS Conqueror at the time of the incident.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”