Where did all these bl--dy boats come from?

Forum for general cruising topics
puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Where did all these bl--dy boats come from?

Postby puddock » Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:49 pm

After work and other commitments have kept me from Rosally for the last 5 weeks, I have excitedly been packing and planning my trip starting Wednesday, until Sunday.
Plan - Wednesday night Tobermory, Thursday sneak a peak up Loch Sunart, Friday venture into Loch Creran, Saturday either Ballachulish or Loch Buie.......
Then, the words West Highland Week spring into my mind - I check their site...... Wednesday - Tobermory, Thursday course NW of Tobermory, Friday - they hurtle down the sound of Mull , while I try to read my col regs with one hand on the tiller.........
Back to the drawing board - any suggestions?

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Re: Where did all these bl--dy boats come from?

Postby Gardenshed » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:00 pm

Yes, carry on as planned, toss your colregs book over the side and keep clear of the fleet racing down the sound of Mull and just enjoy the spectacle.
What is not to like about 1,000 people enjoying being afloat?
Yes the Colregs should dictate who keeps clear but in all the years that I've been sailing on the West Coast, the unwritten gentlemanly conduct of cruising yachtsmen is to make their intentions clear and respectfully avoid yachts that are racing.

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:07 pm

What is not to like about 1,000 people enjoying being afloat?

Absolutely no objections to the race whatsoever - it would indeed be quite a spectacle.
Just a bit nervy about being amongst all those other boats - my first season and my insurance only goes up to £2 000 000 .
Also, looks like moorings in Tobermory might be a little scarce.

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Tue Aug 04, 2009 9:34 am

Don't bother with Tob on Thursday night there won't be any moorings or pontoons available. Friday will be fine.

when passing the fleet:
Make sure that your ensign is clearly visible so you are not mistaken for a competitor (shouldn't be too hard as you are going the other way)
Don't tow your dinghy so you present less of a target and can maneouvre more easily
Make your avoiding actions early and clearly and be decisive
Be concious of the wind shadow that your boats creates, so always pass to leeward of boats beating
Stay off to one side of the sound

Most of the fleet will recognise and appreciate your thoughtfulness.
Enjoy the spectacle

Return to “Shooting the breeze”