Sailing Round Britain

Forum for general cruising topics
WideWorld
Midshipman
Boat Type: any

Sailing Round Britain

Postby WideWorld » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:23 pm

Thought users of this forum would be interested in this - a 1st person piece about a guy who sailed round Britain for charity, avoiding an unexploded bomb and braving shipping lanes in the process:
http://www.wideworldmag.co.uk/features/round-britain-by-boat
Cheers
Alex

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Sailing Round Britain

Postby Silkie » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 pm

Is this a work of fiction?
different colours made of tears

Gardenshed
Old Salt
Boat Type: Grand Soleil 39 & Hobie Tiger

Postby Gardenshed » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:15 pm

perhaps not fiction but definitely exaggeration!
20kt tide in the Corrievrechan? waiting for us as soon as we exited the canal?
I don't want to mock someone who has put effort into raising money for a worthy cause like Leukemia Research , but there is a bit of journalistic license being used. Even a one legged man can swim across that wee gap!
I also find the "round britain" tag a bit of a stretch when the cally canal is used.
Maybe I'm not the target audience

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:54 pm

Both the account and the blog are a bit ambiguous about the Corryvreckin: "going past it" might mean going through it, but might also mean passing by it having gone through the Sound of Luing (which is the shorter and more obvious route coming from Oban).

The original intention was apparently to go by the Pentland Firth, and they diverted via the Caley because of bad weather. It is claimed, however, that going via the Caley is "the same length in miles as round the north coast..." which doesn't square with my understanding of geography.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:57 am

You lot really should hang your head in shame! It is all too easy to knock impressive achievements such as sailing singlehanded round Britain with a couple of mates, particularly when faced with the possibility of detonating little known Liberty ships and facing 20 knot currents and the notorious Hag of Corrievreckan. Not to speak of shipping lanes.

This voyage has really captured the spirit of the ancient Britons in their relentless exploration of these islands and spectacularly coming through against almost insurmountable odds;
Britain is a nation with a great maritime tradition so it’s no surprise that our seas and tides are some of the most mapped and observed in the world. This, when faced with such a daunting natural phenomena as the Hag is, I can say without reservation, a good thing.

I feel sure that we can agree with that.

In times past we would have been taking our lives in our hands, with a real risk of death but with today’s technology it became, not a cakewalk by any means, but something that was possible. Nevertheless when we finally tiptoed past the Hag there was a palpable sense of relief on the boat.

And even the good Lord Claymore couldn't have put it better hisself.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Wed Jun 10, 2009 10:32 pm

Just another spammer then.
different colours made of tears

Return to “Shooting the breeze”