Crusing on the River Forth to Stirling, 20 and 21 June 2009

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Crusing on the River Forth to Stirling, 20 and 21 June 2009

Postby Telo » Fri May 15, 2009 4:10 pm

From the Council's Planning Schedule (OK it's dated 1st April, but it looks like the real thing);

River Forth Trip
    "In the February Countryside Matters we reported that the Council had been approached about a trip on
    the 20 and 21 June on the River Forth from the Carron Sealock, at Grangemouth, up to Stirling City.
    Following the item’s appearance in the Planning Schedule and then subsequently, being reported in
    the Stirling Observer, we have received more approaches and positive feedback about this trip and the
    use of the River Forth, than for any previous item, highlighted in the Countryside Matters.
    The organisers had initially assumed that there would be between 6 and 8 boats in the convoy. From
    recent discussions, that number has now grown to between 15 and 20 boats, with the expectation that
    it could increase further. The popularity of this trip appears to be based on the desire to access
    Stirling City by river, but also acknowledging that, for the less experienced boater, being in a flotilla,
    there will be an element of security. There will also be an opportunity to explore a new section of
    waterway, along with checking on the facilities for potentially future use. We are fortunate to have a
    superb backdrop to the City from Forthside, but from those who previously have made the trip by river
    up to Stirling, they suggest that no visitor could fail to be impressed by the backdrop of the Castle,
    Wallace’s Monument, Cambuskenneth Abbey and the imposing landscapes of the Abbey Craig, Ochil
    Hills, etc."

Should be good fun, but with bridge clearances of 9m and 3.5m at the Kincardine, Clackmannanshire, and Taylorton bridges, there will be no yachts except those that can lower their masts. Info at On the Forth.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Crusing on the River Forth to Stirling, 20 and 21 June 2009

Postby Nick » Fri May 15, 2009 7:55 pm

With bridge clearances of 9m and 3.5m at the Kincardine, Clackmannanshire, and Taylorton bridges, there will be no yachts except those that can lower their masts.

We could get under 9m with a little jusicious heeling. I believe that on the Intracoastal Waterway on the E. coast of Yankeeland they do just that to get big yachts under some of the bridges.

Sounds like Central Scotland's answer to the ARC.
- Nick 8)

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner
Boat Type: snapdragon 24

Postby Falkirkdan » Fri May 15, 2009 9:42 pm

I am sure this was done about the time of the re-opening of the Forth Clyde Canal. Think it may have been connected with the last time the Kincardine Bridge would be opened to allow yachts with mast up, before they started work on the new river crossing.
I will ask some of my canal friends about it and report back.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Sat May 16, 2009 6:39 pm

As promised info on the sail up the Forth to Stirling on 20/21 June.

My friend Ronnie Russack of the Bridge Inn in Ratho fame made the trip 3 years ago and is behind organising the trip again. Here is his reply to me which explains the main points.

I took the Belhaven (one of the Restaurant Barges from the Union canal) up to Stirling 3 years ago with people from the Scottish Exec etc who were looking at the feasability of navigating the Forth and possibly putting floating pontoons along there.. The trip got alot of coverage with the press etc.

Phil Crozier & I wanted to go up again so hence the trip on 20 June. We will leave the sealock at Grangemouth around 10ish and go as far as the Rowing Club at Riverside in Stirling which should take about 4.5hours then drop our anchors and come back on the tide on Sunday. It should be a good trip, are you interested in bringing your boat up? If so you are more than welcome just remember about the clearances required for the bridges. I think the Rowing Club is going to put an afternoon tea on for us and be on hand to help out if necessary.

Just let me know if you need any further information.

If anyone wants more info I will get from Ronnie send me an email.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Tue May 19, 2009 7:34 am

THe Riverside Community Council will be putting on the hospitality at the Rowing Club. It promises to be great day out. Hope the weather is OK..........

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Wed Jun 17, 2009 1:36 pm

I am giving up sailing on the Clyde on Sunday 21st and getting a trip down the River Forth from Stirling to Grangemeouth to the Forth and Clyde Canal. On the Ratho Princess thanks to Ronnie Rusack.

Assuming all goes to plan will come back here with a trip report and some pics.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:26 pm

Enjoy the trip; may see you around if we're not away sailing.

Stirling tides:
    Sat 20 Jun HW 1416 BST 2.2m
    Sun 21 Jun HW 1514 BST 2.5m

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:42 pm

Shard wrote:Enjoy the trip; may see you around if we're not away sailing.

Stirling tides:
    Sat 20 Jun HW 1416 BST 2.2m
    Sun 21 Jun HW 1514 BST 2.5m

Sent you a PM.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sat Jun 20, 2009 7:00 pm

First day seems to have been enjoyable, with the cooncil's Provost and Chief Executive, a guy fae the Navy, the Mayor of Stirling in Ontario, and Campbell Christie, retired former general secretary of the STUC.

There are pics at http://s14.photobucket.com/albums/a335/Sgeir/Cruising%20the%20River%20Forth%20to%20Stirling%20June%202009/?start=all - if anyone wants a full size pic of their boat or whatever, please PM me with an appropriate email address.

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:26 pm

Safely back from trip from Stirling. Was amazing the twists in the river in Stirling although travelled for miles, as crow flies covered very little ground.

As we had to wait on tide rising to clear an old ford in Stirling we did not arrive in the river Carron in time to have enough water to get up to the canal sea lock and had to berth at the pontoon at Grangemouth Sailing Club real mud berthers. Two boats ahead of us did not contact the lock keeper for advice and sadly ended bottoming out on the Carron and are having to wait on the tide rising about 10pm.

Once I have time will put together some pic, must be one of an elite few who have cruised under the new Clackmannan bridge.

Met Shard (Donald) at Stirling and thanks to Ronnie and Lisa for the opportunity to join them.

Shuggy
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nic 43

Postby Shuggy » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:52 pm

I saw a boat at a very unusual angle just downstream of the M9 bridge at 5 am this morning. It can't have been a very comfortable night!
---
Shuggy

Falkirkdan
Master Mariner

Postby Falkirkdan » Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:26 am

This is what they looked like on Sunday evening about 100mt north of the Kerse Road bridge. When I took picture they were lying on a shingle bank and were out walking around. There was no way they could get ashore as they would not been able to cross the mud. They must have moved on the evening tide but one still did not make to Canal until Monday as it had damage to its steering. assistance was given by the Waterways rib.

Return to “Passages and Places”