Yacht rescue

Forum for general cruising topics
Mark
Old Salt

Re: Yacht rescue

Postby Mark » Thu May 07, 2009 8:05 pm

I think the boat's on www.yourboatpix.com.

Strange trip. What next? Shooting Panda's to raise awareness of endangerd species?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu May 07, 2009 8:29 pm

What next? Shooting Panda's to raise awareness of endangerd species?

I think you are missing the point.

you read the Carbon Neutral Expeditions website you will see that their raison d'etre is summarised thus:

While expeditions often achieve impressive objectives — whether it be climbing the highest mountain or crossing the largest ice cap — few take into account the environmental impacts of such undertakings. As a result most expeditions are . . . responsible for damaging the very landscapes they seek to explore.

They are explorers and expeditionaries foremost, not campaigners. Their intent is only to show that we can mount expeditions to the few remaining wild areas of this planet without damaging them. Their patron is Dr Mike Stroud, a famous expeditionary photographer and most definitely not a tree-hugging sandal wearing yoghourt muncher of popular mythology. He says:

"Unnecessary injection of extra pollutants into these previously pristine environments, is unjustifiable if the purpose of the journey is merely to undertake a challenge, especially if aircraft are involved since remote operations in the cold require so much fuel. Yet it would be tragic were these considerations to totally stop adventurous men and women from experiencing these wonderful regions and testing themselves under the harshest of circumstances".

I think the critical word in the above statemetn is 'unnecesary'. How anyone can disagree with the stated aims of this group is beyond me. Presumably the critics on here believe that the very best polar exploration involves thirty skidoos with air support and piles of human excrement marking the trail.

As for the alleged 'irony' - well, rescuer and rescuee were operating under totally different parameters. Carbon Neutral Expeditions were off on a jolly, taking care to minimise their environmental impact while they did so because they wanted to. The tanker was delivering oil, no doubt by the most economical route and maximising the uk company's profits as it did so. All they had in common was they were both in the area at the time and one rescued the other as per the laws and traditions of the sea. I don't see any irony.

Irony would be if the crew of Rainbow Warrior were rescued by a whaling ship. This was just a yacht that got into diffiiculties.

In practice if not in spirit Bill Tilman must have been one of the first sailing carbon neutral expeditionaries. Anyone want to start slagging him off?
- Nick 8)

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu May 07, 2009 9:18 pm

Nick wrote:
What next? Shooting Panda's to raise awareness of endangerd species?

I think you are missing the point.

I'm not 100pc sure I am. They squandered some of the planets resources in order to prove you don't need to squander the planet's resources to go on trips.

Sadly you do.

Anything except garroting yourself is bad for the planet.

Tillman Carbon Neutral? He sold excellent books about his trips. I myself have had one sent to me from America by airmail. Decades after his death his estate and his readers are still raping the planet.

Even worse I've just noticed a feral apostrophe in my original post. Now that's needlessly being sent round the world. Where will it all end... We're doomed I tell ye, DOOMED!

Edit: Bloody hell, I have to share a reply with Kindfisher!

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu May 07, 2009 10:03 pm

On a slightly different note, Was the boat called Fleur?
as in this report.
http://www.mcga.gov.uk/c4mca/mcga07-hom ... m=5&y=2009
C_W

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu May 07, 2009 10:13 pm

I trust you are going to do the decent thing then? :lol:
- Nick 8)

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu May 07, 2009 10:32 pm

Nick why is the "Friends" page so blank? not even a mention of me! :(
http://www.yotblog.co.uk/Fairwinds09/friends/
C_W

Sorry Nick hadent seen the pm before posting this, I take it back. :oops: :oops: :oops:
Your friend, Eamonn. :lol:
Last edited by Clyde_Wanderer on Thu May 07, 2009 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Thu May 07, 2009 10:33 pm

You see it's like this:

As a New Scientist reader, I was all doom and gloom, everyone is going to die when the Earth fries a week on Wednesday.

Then I heard that that Thatcher bitch "found" and promoted Global Warming as a substitute to the Russian Menace when it looked like we shouldn't really be frightened of them. I expect The Ministy of Truth to re write history to show Russia is an Ally against the tyrany of Global Warming next as in 1984.

Since then I try to have a more ballanced view.

Yes the Earth is warming up anyway. And we probably can't do much about it.

Yes there is significant anthropomorphic (did I spell that right) global warming and we probably could do somat about that, but it would mean more or less shutting down the global economy and that isn't attractive in the 5 year political time scale so it's not going to happen.

The global economy will shut down anyway when the planet is so fcuked it can't feed us all but then there will be a correction, learn to hunt, flint knap and forrage.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu May 07, 2009 10:37 pm

Nick wrote:

I trust you are going to do the decent thing then? :lol:

Errr, I wasn't really planning to, sorry.

Yes there is significant anthropomorphic (did I spell that right) global warming and we probably could do somat about that, but it would mean more or less shutting down the global economy and that isn't attractive in the 5 year political time scale so it's not going to happen.

That's my take on things.

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Fri May 08, 2009 5:24 pm

hardy wrote:decorated on the Somme

God bless him for doing so. The last thing you want when you're being machine gunned at all day is to have to go back to a dreary house with out of date wallpaper.

If it wasn't for Tillman's work on the Somme and Lt Col Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen's work in Yypres WW1 would have been really miserable.

Return to “Shooting the breeze”