Postby Silkie » Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:41 pm

Only occasionally. :)
different colours made of tears

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Weather really is scottish excrement in Shetland

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:26 pm

Amazing the difference an R can make to a statement.
Good one Silkie. :lol:

While on the subject, how does this Navtex system work, ie who actually sends out the messages that are recieved on the screen? and how often are they updated and does it automatically send info for the local area you are in or does the user have to program in their position/area etc? and does the user have to pay for the weather forecasts/updates?
and lastly do you find it a very useful bit of kit or do you find you could actually do without it?
Sorry for all the questions.
C_W

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:49 am

I was going to give you my version of answers to your questions but http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Navtex probably(?) does it better!
Yes, it is useful - gives the same info as the CG broadcasts and continued to work while they were working to rule, Doesn't always get a signal in the west coast, is updated about the same time as the new forecast, roughly 0600, 1300 and gives gale warnings when they are issued. I certainly don't rely on it - watching the sky and the barometer remains No1, but it's nice to have.

It also includes nav warnings, subfax, gunfax and all the other bits and bobs all (de)selectable at will and peculiarly, seems to be better at picking up Dutch, German, Norwegian, French, in fact almost anywhere than the UK stations but again (de)selectable.

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:32 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:and lastly do you find it a very useful bit of kit or do you find you could actually do without it?
Sorry for all the questions.
C_W

I did without it for a long time but I find it's generally a "Good Thing". It hears the forecast twice a day even if I'm busy or asleep and writes it down for me. It takes naff all current so I leave it on when I'm away from the boat so there's a reasonably up-to-date forecast available when I get to the boat. I think mine is set to receive weather forecasts only - at least that's all I ever see. It's programmed to receive Portpatrick local signals only so I get inshore forecasts for the west side of Britain.
There are some places the signal doesn't get to but most places I go it works well.
Derek

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:09 pm

Thanks guys for that very useful info.
Derek you mentioned one of the main reasons it would be very useful to me, "I miss almost all of the aired forecasts" for one reason or another.
Now how about subscriptions or is it just a case of buying one and switching it on?
Thanks, C_W

cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Postby cpedw » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 am

Clyde_Wanderer wrote:Now how about subscriptions or is it just a case of buying one and switching it on?
Thanks, C_W

CW, It's a free service. It uses longer than medium wave, 490kHz (local, coastal forecast) and 518kHz (shipping forecast). So you buy the receiver or an "engine" to plug into a PC, switch it on and after that it just needs a bit of electricity.
Derek

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:55 pm

Thanks Derek.
Now to shop about!
C_W

Return to “WeatherChat”