Gordon Brown - Geography lesson?

Forum for general cruising topics
puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Gordon Brown - Geography lesson?

Postby puddock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:25 pm

I thought Gordon was a scot?
Why then, commenting on the tragic events of this afternoons chopper crash off the coast of Aberdeen has he been quoted as saying....

Gordon Brown has paid tribute to those who died and said his thoughts were with their families.
"It is at times like these we remember the risks and the dangers that people have to face abroad."

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Gordon Brown - Geography lesson?

Postby Aja » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:52 pm

I suspect it is another way of saying 'while not at home', or basically 'out there'.

Donald

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:10 pm

What annoys me is the fact that politicians seem to feel the need to comment on everything nowadays. The tin lid for me was GB's pathetic need to jump on the Jade Goody bandwagon.

I spent 8 years travelling to rigs in the North Sea and all over the world by chopper, and I felt sick when I heard this. I've been out to the Miller platform a few times with Bond, quite likely on the very aircraft that went down today. People don't need to hear the Prime Minister saying sorry, it's feck-all to do with him, and anyway I thought he was busy today . . . :bs: :bs: :bs:
- Nick 8)

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:21 pm

Nick wrote:The tin lid for me was GB's pathetic need to jump on the Jade Goody bandwagon.

Agree. I had to do a double take when I heard that. JG's fate was sad but not really something for the PM to spend brain power on.

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Apr 01, 2009 10:27 pm

puddock wrote:I thought Gordon was a scot?
Why then, commenting on the tragic events of this afternoons chopper crash off the coast of Aberdeen has he been quoted as saying....

Gordon Brown has paid tribute to those who died and said his thoughts were with their families.
"It is at times like these we remember the risks and the dangers that people have to face abroad."

Was it not this he said? 5th paragraph from the bottom.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/nor ... 977899.stm

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:38 am

I would hope the BBC quote would be the correct one.
Mine was taken from Sky news' website.

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... 4115253638

The Prime Minister said: "My thoughts are with the families of those who lost their lives in this crash and with the hospital staff and crew working to recover the victims.

But as Nick says, what the hell does it have to do with him anyway.

jim.r
SWS
Boat Type: Moody S38

Postby jim.r » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:12 am

Well acshully, I think it is right and proper that the leader of our country remarks and comments on significant events in our country. After all it is part of his job description to do so, as figurehead and leader. I'm sure that if he'd said nothing that the moaners wold be moaning about how he'd been oblivious to such events and grief of loved ones.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 7:51 am

Aja wrote:I suspect it is another way of saying 'while not at home', or basically 'out there'.

Exactly. Scottish Standard English.

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Postby Daveanmucker » Thu Apr 02, 2009 8:00 am

jim.r wrote:Well acshully, I think it is right and proper that the leader of our country remarks and comments on significant events in our country. After all it is part of his job description to do so, as figurehead and leader. I'm sure that if he'd said nothing that the moaners wold be moaning about how he'd been oblivious to such events and grief of loved ones.

Aye Jim lad , I agree with you , think that as our representative he should comment about tragedies such has the helicopter crash and other disasters, it does have something to do with him, we look to a civilised government to make sure our safety is looked after when we are at work. A lot of employers would not care if they were not forced too.

However not sure about Jade Goody episode, could never work out who she was and why the media made such a fuss.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

philiph
Able Seaman

Postby philiph » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:05 am

Hear, hear - right and proper re disasters (he would be accused of not caring if he said nothing). best to stay away from people who are famous for being ... er ... only famous.

Gordonmc
Master Mariner

Postby Gordonmc » Thu Apr 02, 2009 12:30 pm

It was only right GB should have commented on the tragedy in the North Sea. He was expressing his views on behalf of the nation.
He is also the head of the government which has various departments directly involved in the rescue/recovery operation and responsible for making any recommendations which come out of the inquiries which will follow.
As for JD, I think some are losing sight of the fact he was responding to a direct question from a journo at a press event. He is hardly likely to respond with; "actually I don't really give a monkeys".
The red-tops have been determined to flog the JD story to death (sic) and GB not saying something would have fitted their agenda even better.
I am not a great fan of GB but lets keep things in perspective.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Thu Apr 02, 2009 1:58 pm

As for Jade, she, was after all, our new "Queen of Hearts", was loved and admired by millions and was a good role model for others

- Nick 8)

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Thu Apr 02, 2009 4:31 pm

Never been one for celebrity status, but I did read an interesting point of view in that Jade Goody through her illness did a lot of good in raising the awareness of her illness and its possible improvement in treatment, specially the rise in young girls seeking assurance from their GPs.

On the other hand we have similar celebrities who are, like Jade Goody, famous for being famous, in particular Gaza who is moaning his face off that he nearly died three times. Tough ti77y I say if you want to pi$$ it all against the wall. This also applies to the Pete Docherties; Amy Winehouses George Bests of this world who every so often do /did raise their heads out of the gutter for some more 'celeb' treatment.

I think that it does Gordon Brown and others in similar positions no harm to be identified with names/faces/icons of the public and raise their profile when they are trying through their own problems to help others.

All, of course, in my own opinion.

Donald

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:35 pm

It reminded me of Princess Di's funeral.

ImageImageImage
- Nick 8)

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Sat Apr 04, 2009 8:23 pm

Nick wrote:.... ImageImageImage

is that the " 3 boaks and you`re out " ( appropos hardy ) :?: :?: :?: :D

Return to “Shooting the breeze”