Oh, the irony.....

Forum for general cruising topics
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Oh, the irony.....

Postby Telo » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:31 pm

Poor wee Webby, fighting a valiant battle on TOP's Lounge against the forces of right wing reaction, and here, on BlueMoment's very own front page we have the voice of Fox News (or is Rush Limbaugh) ranting on about Barack Obama in a yotblog extract.

The author doesn't seem to like Obama and calls him "obongo". What's that about then?

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

No irony intended I assure you

Postby Nick » Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:48 pm

I deliberately changed the RSS feed to this guy's blog because it is a) current and b) interestingly written. Glad to see it is attracting some attention. Sadly all our British bloggers are very quiet at this time of year.

The substance of the blog entry is the thoughtless gifts given by the Obamas to GB, and if you google the story you will find that it appears to be true. One assumes that the 'special relationship' is not so special any more.

I don't pigeonhole this blogger as a right wing reactionary, he's just a cynic with an interesting writing style and his eye on the news. You of course are entitled to your own opinion, but I suggest you read one or two of his other entries.
- Nick 8)

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Re: Oh, the irony.....

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:18 pm

He sounds to me as if he is a descendant of the slave traders!
Its radical views like his that could get him into very deep water, especially in the US now.
One would have expected him to have the decancy to at least wear his pillow case for the portrait.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:33 pm

Webbingtons - its becoming painfully obvious that you are not a good judge of blog character so stick to what it is that you do best.....
hmm, perhaps....

jings thats a tricky one.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:51 pm

Webbingtons - its becoming painfully obvious that you are not a good judge of blog character so stick to what it is that you do best.....

I would say that I appear to be runinng the website with my usual aplomb and flair. Obviously my change of RSS feed so that it showed a recent post from an unknown blogger instead of an ancient entry from Magna Carter has been a great success, producing animated commentary and discussion - in addition to some less enlightening PC knee-jerking.

Did you read anything about the incident referred to in the entry? A precis below for the unaware:

In the recent visit to affirm our 'special relationship' gifts were exchanged as is the custom. Gordie gave Obama a pen holder made from a Royal Navy vessel that once fought to end the Atlantic slave trade and a first edition of the eight-volume biography of Winston Churchill begun by Winston's son Randolph and completed by Sir Martin Gilbert. Obama paid him back with a stack of cr*p Hollywood movies on DVD. Mrs. Brown presented the Obama girls with dresses from the top boutique for girls in London along with matching necklaces, and a collection of books by British authors. The Brown boys were given small plastic models of Marine One from the Obamas.

Frankly it is amazing that the UK media didn't make more of this - unless of course criticising the new US president is totally taboo. The blogger in question was apologising to our great seafaring nation for this slap in the face - with his own tongue reasonably far inside his cheek I suspect.

Honestly Claymore, I think you have been too long languishing in the sheltered halls of academe. Stop posting drivel on here and get that tub of yours in the water.
- Nick 8)

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:20 pm

Kiss me Hardy :moon:

Yer man reserves his 'well-known shock-jockery' for his other blog, his sailing blog is relatively mild. However, I have bowed before the icy blast of moral outrage and switched the rss feed elsewhere. Nice to hear this site described as the 'oxygen of publicity' though. Would you like a job as our advertising manager? (commission only I'm afraid).

As for your pressy buying judgement - please don't bother buying me anything this Christmas. Seems to me there were either a whole bunch of subliminal messages there or Obama's aides need a bit of retraining.
- Nick 8)

little boy blue
Old Salt

Postby little boy blue » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:01 pm

Nick wrote:. :moon: .... However, I have bowed before the icy blast of moral outrage and .....

really nick, there was no need to take your trousers down before you bowed :)

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:40 am

hardy wrote:This american blogger is a damned right wing facsist shock jock, well known over the water for his repugnant and racist views. It reflects very badly on your judgement Nick; giving him the oxygen of publicity on a normally liberal website here in the UK. Occupants of TOP may enjoy his views but not here, surely?
Claysie; for once I agree with you

Here we go again, PC crowd trying to tell us what we have the freedom of choice to watch/read/ listen to.
I presume you have read his blog, which enables you to come to the opinion that has racist views. The reason you WERE able to is because we are supposed to be a country that respects freedom of speech, expression of opinions etc. We have not YET come to the stage where we don't have this choice. If you found his blog so offensive, here's a wee tip. Top right hand corner of your screen, there should be a wee box with an X in it. Click on it. The offending page will disappear, as if by magic. Technology for you, it's brilliant!

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:54 pm

puddock wrote:
hardy wrote:This american blogger is a damned right wing facsist shock jock, well known over the water for his repugnant and racist views.

Here we go again, PC crowd trying to tell us what we have the freedom of choice to watch/read/ listen to.

I agree. I haven't read the blog but if Nick chose it I imagine it was harmless enough or he wouldn't have enjoyed it himself.

If it was really nasty facsist reading material all the better - always good to know what the enemy are thinking.
Last edited by Windfinder on Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Wed Apr 01, 2009 9:19 pm

"Sure people like you have the right to read such racist and xenephobic rubbish if that's your choice .."
Yes, I do have the right to read racist and xenephobic rubbish. I always find that it is the best way to be informed of such opinions and views, therefore allowing me to form my own opinion on such subjects.
For your information, I am far from racist and certainly not xenephobic.
I grew up in Zambia from the age of 1 1/2 years until I was 11.While there, I attended a mixed race school and many of my school friends were Zambian.
During my adolescence, I was heavily into the "ska" music scene which actively supported integration of white/ black cultures.
I have worked in Africa for the past 12 years, much of my work involving training and "bringing on" local technicians in the Oil & Gas industry and enjoy an excellent working relationship with most of them.
I know as many ar#eholes who are white, as I do who are black.

So, in summary, though I do not share the views of said Blog author, I do respect his right to hold and air such views.
Enough damage has been done to this country already, by those who see it as there role in life to "protect the world" by censorship and political correctness.
If such views are not aired, how can we expect balanced debate etc?

So, back to sailing.....................

Return to “Shooting the breeze”