Advice on charts for the Outer Hebrides

Tell us where you've been, trade information
cpedw
Old Salt
Boat Type: Nordship 35DS

Advice on charts for the Outer Hebrides

Postby cpedw » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:03 pm

Friends,
This summer's plan is a cruise up the east coast of the Outer Hebrides. We already have all the Imray charts of the area and I have made arrangements to get the Admiralty 1:100,000 charts 1794, 1795, 1796 (I don't plan to go further north than Stornoway).
But now I have just received my Clyde Cruising Club directions for the Outer Hebrides and they seem to think I need several larger scale (more detailed; is that larger scale?) charts too. CCC says "Some of these are essential to the extent that it would be hazardous for a stranger to enter the waters covered without the appropriate chart." I do also have the Admiralty 2825, Lochs on the east coast of Uist at 1:12,500; almost by mistake - I think it was from a boat jumble.
We will also have on board my new pride and joy, the Lowrance chart plotter with Nauticpath chart but very little experience with it and no idea how detailed the chart is in the crucail areas.
At last, the question. Do you think we will need more detailed Admiralty charts? Or do you suppose the CCC directions are being especially cautious. I look forward to erudite responses in due course.

Many thanks and regards,
Derek.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Re: Advice on charts for the Outer Hebrides

Postby Silkie » Wed Jun 28, 2006 11:28 pm

cpedw wrote:I look forward to erudite responses in due course.

Well that rules me out then.
different colours made of tears

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

You'll be fine . . .

Postby Nick » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:02 am

If you just plan a potter up or down the E. coast visiting reasonably weel kent anchorages and ports you will be fine with the charts you have plus either the CCC pilot or the Lawrence offering. Both would be even better, and I can thoroughly recommend Hamish Haswell-Smith's 'Scottish Islands' as well.

(We've been into Stornoway, the Shiants, Tarbet, Rodel, Lochmaddy, Lochboisedale, Castlebay, Vatersay and points South without small scale charts, although we also have the Lochs on the E. Coast of Uist by a similar accident). Most of the other well-knbown anchorages such as Wizards Pool look weasy enough to get into using just the charts you have plus the pilot. You will have fun playing with your new chartplotter as well . . . we anchored in Vatersay Bay in the dark last year using a C-Map electronic chart on the PC, and in the morning we were exactly where we expected to be. (Thoroughly recommend Vatersay Bay as an anchorage unless the wind is in the E)

Fairwinds anchored in Vatersay Bay, August 2006

The one place you definitely WILL need large scale charts if you venture into it is the Sound of Harris - including the approach to Berneray.

If you can. get to Stornoway for the Hebridean Festival of Sail 10-15th July 2006 - we went in 2003 and had a great time. (Some photos HERE)

Have a good one.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Charts

Postby Telo » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:21 am

We'll be sailing in the same area in August. Nick's probably right about Imray plus CCC and Lawrence, however that could have the effect of limiting you to the weel kent anchorages and passages.

Our sailing experience of the area is minimal - sailed round Mingulay to the Atlantic side and through one of the channels back to Barra. Some of the passages are pretty complex and I have to say that I'd strongly prefer the detail of the UKHO charts in this area. Cancelled UKHO charts sell for about £3 a shot at http://www.chartsales.co.uk/.

As long as you check the almanacs and pilots for stuff like new causeways, second hand or cancelled UKHO charts should be fine, especially if combined with a reasonably up to date Imray IMHO. Enjoy the cruise!

PS: Nice pic, Nick.

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:56 am

We managed the top of Skye on Imray two years ago. Much prefer more detailed Admiralty charts though.

CCC and/or Lawrence should be aboard though.

Donald

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:08 pm

Thanks for the advice. We won't leave Oban until 22 or 23 July so we will miss the Festival of Sail. But we will be there during the first week of August so we might meet Shard.
Regards,
Derek

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:44 pm

Keep a dual watch on 77 Derek. Silkie may well be going up the Sound of Mull on or about the 23rd.
different colours made of tears

cpedw
Old Salt

Postby cpedw » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:00 pm

Cue a party in the Black Mishnish...

Return to “Passages and Places”