Are they getting dumber over at TOP???

Forum for general cruising topics
Windfinder
Master Mariner

Are they getting dumber over at TOP???

Postby Windfinder » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:15 pm

http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/ ... /0#2142176

"One or two I do take exception to especially when they claim copyright and able to do as they please with the photo - I suggest a quick google about paparazzi and various court cases of photos banned from publication, fines and restraints imposed on photographers in the 'so-called' pursuit of their work."

He rejects someone elses statement of the law and made up a law of his own! This kind of thing drives me crazy. If the subject or owner of the subject of the photo gets a legal say in what happens to it then photographs become almost imposible to take!

As for DesertQueen - she doesn't want her ex to find her via her baotname, but she happily publishes her boat name on TOP? Weird.

WRT the general issue, I have some sympathy with the Privacy issue but the reality is that of the minority of images that get identified most cause great joy. I suppose it's just possible that it could catch someone out (out sailing with the mistress, sailing when you should be at work) but how many wives and bosses check yourboatpix on the offchance that an image will provide evidence of wrongdoing???

World's gone mad.

FullCircle
Old Salt

Re: Are they getting dumber over at TOP???

Postby FullCircle » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:20 pm

Windfinder wrote:http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2142176/an/0/page/0#2142176

"One or two I do take exception to especially when they claim copyright and able to do as they please with the photo - I suggest a quick google about paparazzi and various court cases of photos banned from publication, fines and restraints imposed on photographers in the 'so-called' pursuit of their work."

He rejects someone elses statement of the law and made up a law of his own! This kind of thing drives me crazy. If the subject or owner of the subject of the photo gets a legal say in what happens to it then photographs become almost imposible to take!

As for DesertQueen - she doesn't want her ex to find her via her baotname, but she happily publishes her boat name on TOP? Weird.

WRT the general issue, I have some sympathy with the Privacy issue but the reality is that of the minority of images that get identified most cause great joy. I suppose it's just possible that it could catch someone out (out sailing with the mistress, sailing when you should be at work) but how many wives and bosses check yourboatpix on the offchance that an image will provide evidence of wrongdoing???

World's gone mad.

Go on, show uz yer boat mate. Be a sport.

X. No publicity please. :lol:

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:25 pm

World's gone mad.

Gone? GONE?

Nigel is barking though . . .
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Sun Jan 18, 2009 11:51 pm

Don't see a problem, myself. That's just Nigel's point of view, and he asked that people seek permission before publishing pics of his boat. Fine, it's a polite request; no-one's obliged to do it of course.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Mon Jan 19, 2009 12:13 am

Stop pretending to be reasonable . . .
- Nick 8)

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:23 am

Shard wrote:That's just Nigel's point of view

Not really. He's specifically telling everyone what the law is - and he's wrong.

Another classic TOP legal thread:
http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/ ... w/1#UNREAD

How can people argue about legislation without actually quoting the legislation they refer to?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:40 am

I agree that it can be annoying, but it's a minor way of life that people on internet forums make up seemingly very authoritative statements of "fact" (as against opinion) that are actually rubbish. Some will will acknowledge a "correct challenge", most will ignore it, and others will become very petulant about it being pointed out.

Ocklepoint
Old Salt
Boat Type: Rival 34, a wee beauty
Location: Me, Edinburgh: Boats, Edinburgh, Arisaig and Kilmory

Postby Ocklepoint » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:05 pm

Amongst the best reading in TOP over these long winter evenings has been the at times rancourous "Liveaboard Link"

I have particularly enjoyed the long expositions about who is and who is not a UK resident in the eyes of the NHS http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2070557/an/0/page/14#2070557 and another about the dastardly Spanish and some new tax http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2128673/an/0/page/4#2128673

It makes the liveaboard life sound really appealing

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:27 pm

Shard wrote:people on internet forums make up seemingly very authoritative statements of "fact" (as against opinion) that are actually rubbish. Some will will acknowledge a "correct challenge", most will ignore it, and others will become very petulant about it being pointed out.

Very wisely observed. You see it time and time again. The frustrating thing is that, at the back of my mind, I can never dismiss the possibility until I've researched it. Which in the case of fictional laws requires time consuming efforts to confirm a negative.

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:37 pm

Ocklepoint wrote:Amongst the best reading in TOP over these long winter evenings has been the at times rancourous "Liveaboard Link"

I have particularly enjoyed the long expositions about who is and who is not a UK resident in the eyes of the NHS http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2070557/an/0/page/14#2070557 and another about the dastardly Spanish and some new tax http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2128673/an/0/page/4#2128673

It makes the liveaboard life sound really appealing

LOL! Both corkers! I really liked the NHS one! The first post was a quote with information straight from the horse's mouth. THen a load of people join an a bundle offering no new information, just spouting their own words!

Thank christ for Blue Moment.

FullCircle
Old Salt

Postby FullCircle » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:41 pm

Windfinder wrote:
Ocklepoint wrote:Thank christ for Blue Moment.

Crumbs, hadn't realised Nick was that far up the tree!

Will have to be more careful.

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:03 pm

FullCircle wrote:
Windfinder wrote:
Ocklepoint wrote:Thank christ for Blue Moment.

Crumbs, hadn't realised Nick was that far up the tree!
Will have to be more careful.

Maybe that's why Nick's so meek?

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Postby Windfinder » Wed Jan 21, 2009 8:29 am

"I doubt a local magistrate would fail to apply local laws so you would have to appeal to the state supreme court before the right to comity might be recognised. "

LOL! It gets better. You can't beat a bit if hysteria!

Aja
Old Salt
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby Aja » Sun Jan 25, 2009 8:44 pm

Windfinder wrote:http://www.ybw.com/forums/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/2142176/an/0/page/0#2142176

World's gone mad.

This is exactly what happened on another Clyde sailing website.
http://www.clydesailing.co.uk/webwarning.htm

No laughing matter!

Donald

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:15 pm

In my humble opinion one should never mock the afflicted i.e. people who populate 'The Other Place'

But you could help them by telling them to 'Keep banging the rocks together, guys!'
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

Return to “Shooting the breeze”