Don't buy a Samsung laser printer

How things work, what's hot and what's not
Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Don't buy a Samsung laser printer

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 16, 2008 1:33 pm

Just got off the Samsung helpline.

We bought a Samsung Laser All-in-one model CLX-2160N six months ago. Two or three months ago it started to produce banding (light areas of no toner) in solid shaded areas. Now this has spread to give overall very poor print quality with fading, missing text and poor contrast in vertical areas on the page.

I was made to dismantle the machine and clean the drive belt and imaging unit and inspect the drum. There was no discernable problem, although the drive belt did have a small mark on it in one place which a damp cloth (as instructed) did not remove. The banding however is all over, not in one small area.

There was no improvement. The technician asked me if I had been printing 'stickers'. I replied that on a few occasions (maybe 4 times) I had used Avery Laser Labels. Thats it he says, that is not an approved paper type. So - if you might ever want to print address labels, don't get a Samsung as it will invalidate any warranty.

On that subject, he told me that he could tell from the serial number that the machine had been manufactured more than 12 months ago, and that therefore the manufacturers warranty was no longer in force and I had to deal with the retailer. The fact that it had been in a sealed box until six months ago was deemed irrelevant.

The only further solution he offered was to replace the toner cartridge - which is still 70% full. He claimed that my use of address labels (as I said, maybe on four occasions) might have scratched a drum that he claims exists inside the toner cartridge. When I asked how any action of mine could have scratched this he was unable to provide a reply, and was obviously just reading from a script.

I asked to speak to his superior and he told me no-one was available but that the complaints department would phone me. So far I have heard nothing.

As a new black toner cartridge is going to cost me £40 plus delivery with no guarantee that it will fix the problem, as there is still 70% of the toner I have already paid for in the drum and as Samsung have apparently washed their hands of the machine I said that I was not prepared to do this. It seems I am at the mercy of the local retailer I bought the machine from, so we will just have to wait and see.

In the meantime, I have no printer capable of producing documents fit to send out to clients and will have to go and buy a cheap inkjet. We were going to purchase a Samsung TV in the next few weeks, but after this experience we will be looking at other brands.

EDIT / ADDITION

I have just printed out the manual and under 'paper handling - media types' it lists 'labels' - looks like their support desk are just making it up as they go along, or maybe they have discovered that labels actually do feck the machine up but are not prepared to recall the machine or issue an advisory to purchasers . . .
- Nick 8)

oldgaffer1
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Cutter rigged Cheoy Lee Bermuda 30 Ketch.

Postby oldgaffer1 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:32 pm

Nick,

Your post rang a bell with me about the warranty as I had to do quite a bit of digging when in contact with them over a Samsung fridge that had been damaged in their warehouse.
To quote from the depths of Samung's own site:

'The warranty applies from the date of purchase by the first customer ....' (HERE)

It seems to me that you are correct that the guy may be making it up as he goes along. If he is wrong in that then what else is he getting wrong?

I'd be tempted to:

(a) 'Phone them again and say that you feel you have been seriously mis-led. Ask the new operative for their name - they probably won't give it to you but but you will get something out of them which will identify them on their system and tie them to the conversation you are having with them.
(b) Ask them for a copy of their complaints proceedure and then suggest the involment of Trading Standards.

This got me to a supervisor in the complaints department and then a reasonable amount of cash as compensation.

Hope that's of some help.
Cheers,
Alister.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

My North Korean Samsung printer

Postby Nick » Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:59 pm

I did phone them again but they refused to even put me through to tech support, saying the problem had already been identified and it was my fault. The woman I was speaking to kept repeating the same sentence over and over again until eventually I hung up. They said I would get a call from their complaints department within two hours. That was over seven hours ago, so I am not holding my breath. They are unable to put me through directly to the complaints department and there is no email address on the website.

The brainless support idiot on the original call was definitely making it up, as he told me at one point that the printer was made in NORTH Korea!

I think tomorrow I will get seriously annoyed. I have already mentioned trading standards but will ask them for a copy of their complaints procedure. If I don't get anywhere then I can feel a rash of samsungiscrap.co.uk websites coming on . . . I need a hobby now we have taken the sails off Fairwinds and we are waiting for a lift-out.
- Nick 8)

drumtochty
Able Seaman

Postby drumtochty » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:23 pm

Nick

Your contract is with the retailer. Go through them as you do not have a contract with Samsung.

eddie

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Fri Oct 17, 2008 12:04 am

I was going to buy a cutter rigged Samsung 47 ketch for my next circumnavigation, but after reading about your troubles I've decided to cancel the order.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue

Update

Postby Nick » Tue Oct 21, 2008 6:55 pm

Your contract is with the retailer. Go through them as you do not have a contract with Samsung.

Samsung have now admitted that you are allowed to print laser labels (although they would prefer it if you didn't) and they are going to send an engineer from Motherwell to Balvicar to see if the toner cartridge needs replacing or if it is something more terminal. In the meantime I have bought an HP All-In-One from Tescos for £38.98 which is giving lovely results!

Shop still isn't interested. Should have just bought it off the web for much less, and certainly won't buy anything from that company again. I am going to be writing to Clunie Group Ltd advising them of this revision to Webcraft's 'buy local' policy.
- Nick 8)

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”