Island Man Rockall Expedition 2009

Forum for general cruising topics
IslandMan
Midshipman

Island Man Rockall Expedition 2009

Postby IslandMan » Sun Oct 12, 2008 9:23 pm

My name is Andy Strangeway, I have slept on all 162 Scottish islands that are 40 hectares and above www.island-man.co.uk
I am currently in the process of planning an expedition to Rockall, I am requiring a yacht or motor boat. For more details please see www.islandmanrockallexpedition2009.com All offers of help or advice gratefully received.
Success is the greatest form of revenge

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Seastream 34

Postby DaveS » Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:13 pm

Hello again! Welcome to this quite superior forum. :)

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 7:08 pm

Dave,
A small world! The photos will arrive!
Andy

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Re: Island Man Rockall Expedition 2009

Postby Windfinder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 pm

IslandMan wrote:My name is Andy Strangeway, I have slept on all 162 Scottish islands that are 40 hectares and above www.island-man.co.uk
I am currently in the process of planning an expedition to Rockall, I am requiring a yacht or motor boat. For more details please see www.islandmanrockallexpedition2009.com All offers of help or advice gratefully received.

Outstanding. Best of luck. Will have a count up of my Strangeways and report back my pitiful count.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:04 pm

I'm glad you are acquainted wi oor Davey - he's probably slept on mair islands than you...and bars, bridges, canals, laybys, meetings, aeroplanes and pistes.....not fer nothing is his fame as ra fantom kipper renowned.
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

Windfinder
Master Mariner

Re: Island Man Rockall Expedition 2009

Postby Windfinder » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:46 pm

Will have a count up of my Strangeways and report back my pitiful count.

:oops:

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:15 pm

Windfinder,
To land on an island is one thing to spend the night is another, this is what makes achieving the Strangeways so difficult. I do not have to tell Yachties about how quickly the weather can change around the Scottish islands.
On all the 162 islands and the 4 smaller ones I have slept on I was never marooned due to the weather. I like to think good planning but maybe it was pure luck.
Out of the 162, 46 have scheduled ferries but to get beyond the 120 mark is not easy.
15? As we all know quality is better than quantity.
Andy

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:26 pm

Welcome Islandman. It sounds like a bit of an adventure does yon sleeping on Rockall.

I saw the thread in TOP and found it a bit negative, I'm sure you apreciate it's not going to be easy, and you know how to suck eggs.

Good luck finding a suitable vessel to get your landing ship near the rock.
Last edited by aquaplane on Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Fingal
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Fulmar 32

Postby Fingal » Mon Oct 13, 2008 10:36 pm

What a fantastic idea, I alos though you got an unnecessarily hard time over at TOP. If you can find the resources and a suitable boat there's every chance of success if you can find the right weather. I know a couple of people who ahve been round Rockall and it is a very long way from anywhere so good planning is essential. Good luck.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:47 pm

Surely this is a job for tcm?

I think your problem is that there aren't many "leisure sailors" with big enough boats. AFAIK the two biggest boats on here are in the 50' range. Only one of these is actually a pleasure craft (although this is disputed by some who have crewed on Mojomo) and neither is big enough to carry your team and a sailing crew.

Not wishing to be a nay-sayer; just pointing out the difficulties with which you're doubtless already familiar. I sometimes wonder why I bother posting. :)
different colours made of tears

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:13 am

Silkie
That is an issue, as including the crew I would need 12 although that could be cut to 8 with the right people if the TV option was discounted. I appreciate all points raised as we never know which seeds when they are sown become stepping stones. What is tcm?
I enjoyed looking at your website, the Firth of Lorn is a fatastic area. Naiomh is the only uninhabited island to date that I have slept on twice, the second time was surreal as I did some live morning broadcasts for the BBC with the sun raising beyond Scarba, modern technology is an amazing thing.
Border Maid/Aquaplane
Thank you for your good wishes
Andy

Caroline
Midshipman

Postby Caroline » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:17 am

Hello Andy,

Thanks for getting in touch. It certainly is an interesting job, the company I work for look after sponsors of sporting events, so that's how I work with Dee and her sponsors Aviva. My first day at work three years ago was 30 days before Dee took off on her first solo round the world voyage and I couldn't believe that jobs like this existed!

It looks like you're quite an adventurer yourself! Sounds pretty amazing, I've never spent much time in Scotland but I hear it's stunning. I'm afraid that we don't actually find sponsors for eventsso I'm not sure I'm going to be much good with the boat or yacht to Rockall, but best of luck and let me know how it goes!

Cheers,

Caroline

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:32 am

Welcome Andy.
I have tried my best to sleep on as many Scottish Eileen;s over 6stone as possible, but it takes a lot of charm. :lol: :lol: :lol:

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:09 am

I will be posting later this morning with a new approach.

Thank you Caroline for getting back to me.

Andy

IslandMan
Midshipman

Postby IslandMan » Wed Oct 15, 2008 10:20 am

For the "transportation" there are two options I have so far considered. Both of these have major obstacles.
1, For a yacht to take 12 people to be donated to the expedition. This size of yacht is not that readily available.
2, To charter a yacht/motor boat and then raise the necessary funds to pay for it. With the current credit crunch raising the finance could be difficult.

The alternative to these two options was contained in the information I have gathered of previous landings.There have been at least four 40 foot and under yachts that have sailed to Rockall, at least two achieved a landing. Here are a few questions for you all to get your teeth into.

1, What are your thoughts of a 40 footer or less undertaking this expedition?
2, How many people could such a yacht carry?
3, Who fancies a shot at it?
Andy

Return to “Shooting the breeze”