Running rigging ~ the gordian way

How things work, what's hot and what's not
sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Running rigging ~ the gordian way

Postby sahona » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:56 am

Right. Who was it said to put the sheets and halyards into a pillow case and thence to her machine?
I had two pillowcases worth and did them separately.(wash without spin cycle)
Unfortunately, I was in the shed when the first one was processed and was not aware of anything unusual happening.
Went up to the house, unloaded the first, and started the second load.
Went down to summerhouse to hang ropes (it's absolutely hissing down).
On opening the bag, I was deeply disappointed to see the tangle that the sheets and kicker had got into and regretted having started the second load.
Unfankled, then up for lunch during which the second load attemped a minispin during the rinse cycle.
WTF !! the whole kitchen seemed to be jumping up and down, our new worktop was being relocated to the ceiling and my vision went blurred.
We de-powered the machine and got the stuff out without a flood, thankfully, and it was subsequently unravelled as well.
My instant thought was, did the first load do the same - unchecked ?
I said nothing. We haven't tried another wash yet, so I don't know if I owe her a new machine, but the result is, there is more to this than meets the eye.
Beware, this could be a great time of year for white goods salespersons. :oops: :oops: :oops:
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Booby Trapper
Old Salt
Boat Type: Jeanneau Attalia

Postby Booby Trapper » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:23 pm

Thanks for the warning, I'll stick to dumping them in the bath.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:52 pm

The vibration could be 'coz you didn't have enough in the washer for it to be evenly distributed for the spinny bit.

Try bulking up the load so it's at least ½ full then it spreads evenly round the drum. A few towels should do it.

After a technical consultation, if you coil the ropes as normal and tie them up, then tie the coils together with string in 4 places, and wash a few coils together, it works. The ropes on Seminole are snowy white and soft as a baby bum, but then they don't get much use except the mooring warps.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

MikeMonty
Able Seaman

Postby MikeMonty » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:52 pm

I read a post in a climbing rope website recently debunking the "no powerwashing" theory that a powerwasher will force dirt and grit into the fibres of a rope.

http://www.onrope1.com/RopeWashing.htm

(Lets face it - if any rope used needs to be sure of his ropes - its a climber!)
Argument was that on testing, after a powerwash jetting the casing was cut open and no evidence of contamination was found.

I'll be getting the Karcher out this year!

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:05 pm

Power-washing.
That's the way to go I think. only problem I foresee is that the rest of the patio will need to be done once I've finished the ropes...
I got a new "wand" for the Karcher recently (after the old one blew it's end off) and it has a nice swirling action, which I think will be nice and gentle on the ropes.
Thanks for that info.

philiph
Able Seaman

Postby philiph » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:32 pm

Putting halyards and sheets in washing machine is veeeeeeeeeeery bad idea - it really doesn't do 'em any good and a soak and rinse is much better. If you go on the Marlow (I think) website there is advice on rope care. Also power washing is reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllllyyyyyyyyyy veeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerry bad. I did it once and it seriously abrades the covers. Never again.

bobnlesley
Midshipman

Ropes

Postby bobnlesley » Sun Oct 12, 2008 12:48 pm

...Lets face it - if any rope user needs to be sure of his ropes - its a climber...

Many years ago, I was in the garage when a charging battery 'exploded'. Lots of things got a splash of electrolyte on them, possibly (but not for sure) including a brand new £200 climbing rope that was hanging on the wall; being there, I was able to grab it first and plunge it into the rainwater butt.

As a result, I knew that even if the rope had got the odd acid splash, it would've been neutralised in less than five seconds, so couldn't possibly have damaged my new rope; it was therefore definitely still safe to use. Strange how it spent a further nine years hanging on that wall, until I took up sailing and cut it down to make a set of mooring lines.

Arghiro
Old Salt
Boat Type: Pentland Ketch

Postby Arghiro » Sun Oct 12, 2008 6:51 pm

I've done my warps & sheets in the W/mc several times with no problems. I coil them & loop one coil round and through as if for hanging on a cleat. I don't put them in a pillow case as that concentrates the weight - hence the m/c hopping round the kitchen - its an unbalanced load that does that. Add fabric softener for a really soft feel when done.

Finally, don't just do one coil at a time, aim for 3-4 so the weight can be distributed evenly.

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:36 pm

Did some more washing on the "unfinished" group today, by hand, and a heck of a lot more dirt came out. Which begs the question, what programme do the machine users choose? I take the point about balancing the load, ( and thought I had, plus spin programmed out) and will probably have another go. I don't think the previous owner did this sort of thing, and they're a bit past their sell-by date anyway.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:53 pm

I would think that all machines will go into a slow(ish) spin between every rinse cycle.

SWMBO has a Servis 1600 which has a sensor which slows down the drum if it goes out of balance.

Few years ago, I tried the old pillowcase trick but burst open the p/case.

Tried using a sail bag, but I think it was too 'waterproof' to allow a good wash.

I now wash by hand, in the bath. Let them soak for a while then pull them through a fist holding a cloth, end to end.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace 1000

Postby lady_stormrider » Sun Oct 12, 2008 11:24 pm

Make way! Domestic Goddess coming through!

I've had good results by using laundry bags , putting individual ropes in separate zip up bags. I then use bio-tex at 30°C then wash the ropes at 40. separately using a conventional washing powder in a washing machine. As long as you have a separate rope in each laundry bag you can wash as many bags as you like.

I've learned this from The Admiral's Wife - who has snow-white ropes.
Became a full-time sailor at the end of May

sahona
Admiral of the White

Postby sahona » Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:56 pm

What's a laundry bag? A drawstring sack?

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:20 pm

They are nylon bags of various sizes with a zip in one side. I imagine large shops that sell laundry equipment (such as Woolworths or Wilkinsons) may stock them. As well as Bio-tex, Vanish oxy-action works wonders and makes them white. One rope goes in each bag and one can be loose in the washing drum.

I also draped them over clothes horse or wire racks rather than spoil all the effort and tumble drying them. I also think the heat may be a touch too much for them.

I was also told a couple of years ago that fabric softener chemically alters elastication in climbing ropes, unmentionables etc and they eventually go baggy & un-stretchy.

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Postby ash » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:37 pm

lady_stormrider wrote:They are nylon bags of various sizes with a zip in one side.

Is this the right sort of thing? Laundry bag from Amazon.

Remember to use Nick's Amazon clicky if you're gonna buy.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow

Postby lady_stormrider » Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:52 pm

That's exactly it!

However the 'Blue Moments' Burgee may have to be washed in soap flakes by my own fair hands on its own for the first time

Return to “Gear and Gadgets”