Exciting final trip of the year!

Tell us where you've been, trade information
JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Exciting final trip of the year!

Postby JohnBuch » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:00 pm

Saw two celebrities while out for a final sail in the Gareloch and Loch Long at the weekend! Headed round for a leisurely trip from Rosneath to the moorings at the Knockderry Hotel. We saw two tugs spraying jets of water into the air just past Cloch and assumed it was the Navy playing at firefighting. The last time I went out a Navy ship up Loch Long was pretending it was on fire, so presumed it was more of the same. All was explained when a large cruise ship appeared behind the tugs. I did briefly think - "Oh that's just what they do when the QE2 comes into a port", but quickly discounted the idea because I thought the QE2 was now a floating hotel in Nevada or somewhere equally unlikely. Such is my ignorance of big boats that it was indeed the Queen and I had assumed it was one of the many anonymous cruise ships which visit Greenock these days. Had an excellent lunch at Knockderry, the only complaint being that the headwind we encountered going up the loch had turned into a headwind going down the Loch! Does this happen as often as I think it does? has anyone done a statistical analysis of the likelihood of perverse windshift or is it just the presbyterian God of the West of Scotland punishing me for stopping at a plush hotel and enjoying good food and good company?

Anyway on to the second celebrity. Not only had the wind turned against us but just as we were about to round the corner of the peninsula, with the prospect of a favourable close or beam reach, the wind died. So we ended up pottering along gently under engine. Just as I was getting worried that the two novice sailors with us would be getting bored we ended up on the periphery of an exciting maritime rescue:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/gla ... 654288.stm

Little did we know at the time it was the famous (in Scotland anyway) Muriel Gray. I must say she has my full sympathy as to find yourself in this situation with your children on board must be terrifying, even with six or seven NATO warships around you. It made me glad I was towing a dinghy ( I know the purists don't think its seamanlike) and that I had a liferaft (albeit out of date).

I won't repeat the Mayday message passed on by the boat which alerted the coastguard but the tone of the message really brought home how stressful these incidents are for everyone involved. What started out as a very professional message that a cabin cruiser was going down was followed by a message all of three minutes later that the boat had gone down and there were seven people in the water. This last message was delivered in a tone of near panic which I sympathised with as I would hate to be in the position of seeing a family suddenly thrown into the water. I was genuinely surprised when it transpired that the messages were coming from one of the large Navy ships in the area. I suppose it was naive of me to assume that a trained Navy radio operator would have any less a human reaction than the rest of us, but it did make me wonder how he would have reacted if an Argentinian fighter-jet had appeared over the Greenock skyline!

Glad to hear that no one seems to have been badly hurt, although I'm sure that they must have got a terrible fright. As my wife immediately reminded me ".. and that is why everyone should wear lifejackets." It was certainly shocking how quickly the boat went down. Hope that all involved get over their unpleasant experience and get out on the water again. Maybe Muriel will come to see the funny side of it and write it up in a nautical equivalent of her book "The First Fifty"

Boat coming out or the water next Thursday- wish me luck, I always worry about a gung ho yard damaging my keel or propeller shaft when lifting out as they often don't seem to care about known issues with lifting particular boats - its the one thing I would disagree with in this month's PBO article on laying up - they say that you should trust the yard and not interfere because the yard staff usually know better than the owner. In my experience this is not the case with Albin Vegas. I have had my own prop shaft bent and talked to another Vega owner with a mooring nearby who has had the same experience. Some Vega owners also report that some yards lift from the aft end of the keel which is hollow and can be a weak point liable to damage.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:47 pm

Very scary indeed!

ash
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Moody 346

Re: Exciting final trip of the year!

Postby ash » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:35 pm

JohnBuch wrote:
Boat coming out or the water next Thursday- wish me luck, I always worry about a gung ho yard damaging my keel or propeller shaft when lifting out as they often don't seem to care about known issues with lifting particular boats - its the one thing I would disagree with in this month's PBO article on laying up - they say that you should trust the yard and not interfere because the yard staff usually know better than the owner. In my experience this is not the case with Albin Vegas. I have had my own prop shaft bent and talked to another Vega owner with a mooring nearby who has had the same experience. Some Vega owners also report that some yards lift from the aft end of the keel which is hollow and can be a weak point liable to damage.

The last time I was to be lifted out of the water, I first showed the yard two photos. One was their last lift with the strop under the keel, and one was the correct technique as demonstrated by Kip.

I stayed on board, and positioned the aft strop myself. I was able to start the strop at the transom, and slide it forward and hold it until the hoist could take the weight.

It would have been easier with two people on board, one at each side.

I had thought that I would be able to feel if the strop was sliding on the hull rather than jamming under the prop, but I couldn't so I was holding my breath until she was lifted enough to check that it was positioned correctly.

Ash
"This is a sailing Forum"
Albin Vega "Mistral" is now sold

ash
Yellow Admiral

Lifting Vegas

Postby ash » Wed Oct 08, 2008 3:42 pm

Too late to edit my previous post

My first lift at Kip - from the hard

My first travel hoist lift at Ardlui - from the hard

Latest liftout at Ardlui

Ash

Clyde_Wanderer
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Hummingbird 30

Postby Clyde_Wanderer » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:17 pm

What gung ho yard is it you will be getting lifted out at?
Just today I had my boat lifted out, (radio silence for you all until next april :lol: ) and was wondering to myself where one can buy the hull labels that point to the siting area of slings.
Any ideas?

ash
Yellow Admiral

Postby ash » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:19 pm

Clyde_Wanderer wrote: and was wondering to myself where one can buy the hull labels that point to the siting area of slings.
Any ideas?

Don't know - the yard usually supply and fit them - bit of advertising. Just the same as the car dealers changing your number plates so that their name is on the bottom.

Ash

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:57 pm

As well as the "sling here" triangles, I am using a wee bit of tape to show where the bulkheads are for the cradle position.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

SteveN
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Minster 37

Postby SteveN » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:53 pm

sahona wrote:I am using a wee bit of tape to show where the bulkheads are for the cradle position.

I know exactly where the cradle pads and props go, because I use a (slightly) different colour antifouling to do those bits when she's lifted up to be launched at the start of the season.

Or should this be in 'Tip of the week'? :wink:

JohnBuch
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Albin Vega

Fleur now ashore

Postby JohnBuch » Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:23 pm

Really leased with service at Sandpoint Marina in Dumbarton. They have a trailer which lifts the boat on broad pads along the sides of the hull so no straps near the propellor. They also did a really good job of pressure washing and scraping the hull - much better than a friends
boat kept at a nearby yard. Yard looks sheltered and good supply of power and water, also a small chandler on site. I know this looks like an advert but no connection with company on my part just really happy to find a goos place to keep the boat. Interesting entry wth good views of climbing on Dumbarton Rock and a few very visible sunken boats on the approach just to remind you to take care.

Bad planning on my part in terms of preparing for winterising - just read the Beta manual which advises - remember to change the oil before lifting the boat out - doh!

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:53 pm

My parents keep Seminole at Sandpoint (for the winter) and have for quite a while.

They too prefer to be lifted out with that yellow trailer thing as oposed to the normal looking boat hoist, but have used both.

The Leven seems to be silting up a bit more each year alas, the tide window when they can come round and up to Sandpoint and get lifted out seems to get smaller each year. Quite often she shows a bit of bottom when alongside the pontoon, and that's not my mum!
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Return to “Passages and Places”