Pleasant day on Loch Linnhe

Tell us where you've been, trade information
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Pleasant day on Loch Linnhe

Postby Telo » Sat May 24, 2008 10:57 pm

Only having a short weekend, we decided not to go up Loch Etive as originally intended, but to plooter aboot near the mooring in Loch Linnhe. The NE breeze would have made an overnight on the mooring slightly bumpy, so we anchored at Airds Bay, just south of Appin. A perfect spot for a NE wind, with a beautiful sunrise over Airds House;

Airds House is a Georgian house, which I believe was built just before, the '45 Rebellion;

We motored past Lismore, and from there tacked against strengthening winds until anchored at Camas Shallachain on the west side of the Lynn of Lorn. The approach to the anchorage was in a F6 with a clear view of Garbh Bheinn keeking over Beinn Leamhain;

To the east lies Loch Leven, hidden behind Sallachan Point, and the hills of Glen Coe;

The morning didn't look too promising, but it turned out to have been a great day. The wind is dropping slightly, but tomorrow promises more of the same. No' bad.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Very nice . . .

Postby Nick » Sat May 24, 2008 11:53 pm

Long may the Easterlies prevail.

A day sail for us down to Loch Craignish tomorrow I think.
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Re: Very nice . . .

Postby Telo » Sun May 25, 2008 12:32 pm

Nick wrote:.A day sail for us down to Loch Craignish tomorrow I think.
Well, it will certainly have been fast. ;-)

We (ie I) have had a lazy morning, and will be going back to the mooring later today. Beautiful day though. Have fun.

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Sun May 25, 2008 8:49 pm

Such nice photos posted so quickly, do you have access to the internet from Shard?

Did you notice whether Ghillie looked happy on her mooring (A Sigma 38 a couple of rows outside you at Dallans Bay) in these NEasterlies.

Stuck gardening....wedding looms

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Sun May 25, 2008 9:03 pm

Ghillie wrote:Did you notice whether Ghillie looked happy on her mooring

They were all very happy, all dancing away and bowing up and down in about 22-24 kts when we moored up. Unlike our usual late returns to the moorings, we went back this afternoon with plenty of time to ensure that Nick picked us up in the tender!

Re the pics, I've started using a USB 3G dongle thingy (primarily for work) that gives me web access (£15 per month for 3Gb, which I've never come remotely close to using). On Loch Linnhe it's usually GPRS, but it's pretty quick at 54kb/sec.

Stuck gardening....wedding looms

:)

What a shame - brilliant sailing - we left Camas Shallachain doing about 3kts with bare poles alone.

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Sun May 25, 2008 10:01 pm

Thanks for that. The good thing about NEasterlies here, is that the bonfire smoke is blown away from the house!

Hope to spot you on the water some time.

:)

Return to “Passages and Places”