CANOPYS

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
jas4u1
Midshipman
Boat Type: Cruiser

CANOPYS

Postby jas4u1 » Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:57 am

Hi guys I have used FORTH MARINE TEXTILES and would not recommend them.. the guy came and looked at my canopy it was sagging in the middle spaces at the sides and the part at the windscreen had shrunk according to Jerry the owner of the company he told me it had shrunk and he would fix it I asked him just to do a new canopy so we agreed a price so he took my canopy away ..and when he brought back the new one it was the same as the one he took away what he did was cut up my old one and used it as a template as he said... never got the old one back and it was just the same spaces at the sides and the front was the same and it leaked can provide pictures took a video of it leaking also holes at sides he did come back and fixed it... all he did was hand stitch 4 patches on it even people on the mariner has commented on it... it's total mess and I thought I would have got my old canopy back for a spare but no chance so beware of this company I would definitely not recommend them...jas4u1

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Re: CANOPYS

Postby sahona » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:46 am

Assume you got prices from a few places and then chose FMT.
It's like the man in the motorbike shop said, " if you've got a £10 head, get a £10 helmet"
We chose 'top-of-the-range-expensive-man' to do ours, and stipulated that the old tent would be retained for winter use. He still chopped it in a couple of places and treated it badly. The new tent works, but isn't perfect.
I suspect the trick is to get a written spec agreed and priced, then you can keep referring back to it until the spec is met.
All too often we just give a go-ahead over the phone and ponder over the money we've saved. I've had several bits from FMT and the quality varies.
I suspect if you have clout, and he knows he's got to produce, he will.
Give him a chance to remedy your problems and then come on here again with the results.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

marisca
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Contessa 32

Postby marisca » Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:24 pm

When I got mine from FMT 5 years ago it was on the basis of others' happy experiences and what seemed a reasonable price. His first attempt prevented the winch handles from turning but he thought that was ok 'cos they would ratchet - they are 2 speed winches! He then recut it and drilled more holes for the straps and it looked liked a sack of potatoes but apparently that was the best he could do without starting again. Screw points were driven through the coachroof and headlining moulding, the fixings are different port and starboard. The mainsail cover and dodgers procured at the same time were and still are fine.

Communications were not good between us and not helped by him turning up early and drilling holes in my boat before I arrived at the appointed time. I regret paying him and not making more of a fuss but at the time all I wanted was him to stop messing about on my boat.

Incidentally, the sack of potatoes shored up with a central prop to stop it sagging so much and the frame mountings moved so the straps actually hold it up, works ok and has lasted many ups and downs, gales and green water over the last 5 years but it has never looked pretty.

In retrospect my mistake was expecting a higher level of knowledge and expertise than I received. When I eventually order a new sprayhood I will certainly commit a specification to writing that at the least ensures clearance for jammer levers and winch handles and requires my approval before more holes are drilled.

Mark
Old Salt

Postby Mark » Thu Aug 26, 2010 8:22 am

marisca wrote:turning up early and drilling holes in my boat before I arrived

:shock:

Inexcusable.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Thu Aug 26, 2010 11:26 am

I got mine made by Storar Marine in Newcastle.

I tried to find some place nearer to home, but nobody was interested. I think it was someone on TOP who recommended Storar, so I sent the guy an email. After a bit of discussion, I agreed to sail the boat to St Peters marina on thy Tyne where he has an arrangement that if he is to be doing work on your boat, you can stay the week for £35. (2007 price).

He came down and took a pattern from the hoops, then was back and forward each day for about 5 days until he had it fitting properly. It was a bit like having a made-to-measure suit done. I'm yery pleased with result, and woul definately recommend them -

http://www.storrarmarine.co.uk/

Picture taken in Helmsdale showing new sprayhood, dodgers & sail cover -

It made a fine summer trip down from Peterhead and back into the bargain.
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

puddock
Old Salt
Boat Type: Westerly Storm 33

Postby puddock » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:11 pm

Rowana wrote:I got mine made by Storar Marine in Newcastle.

I tried to find some place nearer to home, but nobody was interested. I think it was someone on TOP who recommended Storar, so I sent the guy an email. After a bit of discussion, I agreed to sail the boat to St Peters marina on thy Tyne where he has an arrangement that if he is to be doing work on your boat, you can stay the week for £35. (2007 price).

He came down and took a pattern from the hoops, then was back and forward each day for about 5 days until he had it fitting properly. It was a bit like having a made-to-measure suit done. I'm yery pleased with result, and woul definately recommend them -

http://www.storrarmarine.co.uk/

Picture taken in Helmsdale showing new sprayhood, dodgers & sail cover -

It made a fine summer trip down from Peterhead and back into the bargain.

I must admit, Jim, a fine job he made indeed.
I do, however, wonder when you removed that For'd Pilot House on Rowana. I wandered over for a look and must say, you did an excellent job, as I can see no signs of "doctoring" on the gelcoat.

Rowana
Old Salt
Boat Type: Macwester Rowan 8 meter

Postby Rowana » Sat Oct 02, 2010 11:19 pm

puddock wrote:I must admit, Jim, a fine job he made indeed.
I do, however, wonder when you removed that For'd Pilot House on Rowana. I wandered over for a look and must say, you did an excellent job, as I can see no signs of "doctoring" on the gelcoat.

I was never fond of the hardtop :lol:
BLESSED ARE THOSE WHO ARE CRACKED,
FOR THEY ARE THE ONES WHO LET IN THE LIGHT

Return to “Basically Boaty”