Ardfern to Linnhe

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
Flobbets
Able Seaman
Boat Type: Westerly Pageant and Pentland

Ardfern to Linnhe

Postby Flobbets » Wed May 19, 2010 12:01 pm

Hi all,

We've just bought the Westerly Pentland, Albion, which may be known to some of you. She's currently at Ardfern, but we'll probably be moving her to Linnhe Marine soon.

Any suggestions/comments/must-sees/avoid-at all-costs for that trip would be greatly appreciated.

We still have Alauda (our Pageant) in Banff, near home, but having fallen in love with the west coast...

Mike

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Ardfern to Linnhe

Postby Nick » Wed May 19, 2010 12:08 pm

~ Make sure you have the tide right for the Dorus Mor and the Sound of Luing

~ Stop off overnight in Puilladobhrain if you haven't visited before
- Nick 8)

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed May 19, 2010 7:05 pm

Shard and Ghillie are at Linnhe Marine - we'll keep an eye open for Albion.

Agree with Nick, Puilladobhrain's a nice spot, and handy for a pub. But there are some other nice anchorages on your way north, Lunga, Eilean Dubh Mor/Beag, Ardinamir (if you want to jouk aboot through Cuan), Duart Bay, Eilean nan Ridire, Inniemore Bay, South Bernera Bay on Lismore, Eilean no Cloiche and Eilean Dubh in the Lynn of Lorn, Airds Bay, Port Ramsay..... Spoilt for choice really.

Flobbets
Able Seaman

Postby Flobbets » Thu May 20, 2010 9:29 pm

Spoilt for choice is right! Exactly why we took the otherwise crazy decision to have two boats. Alauda is half an hour away in Banff, so ideal for a daysail, but the Moray Firth, delightful though it is, can't compare with the west coast. I trying to convince myself that the decision was therefore logical (for a given value of logical).

Shard and Ghillie - please come and say hello if you see us. We'll put the kettle on or crack a bottle or two.

Mike

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Postby Nick » Thu May 20, 2010 9:40 pm

Two boats is eminently sensible - all I would argue about is the location of boat no. 1

Winters on Seil can be long, and ever since we came back from our year-long trip to Portugal, the Canaries and the Azores we have had the dream of buying a second boat - maybe even another Vega - anad taking her down to the Canaries to base her there permanently. We have also thought about doing it with other people - a yacht is the perfect Canaries timeshare, able to be moved from island to island and cheap as chips compared to a concrete apartment.

We made friends with a liveaboard couple on a Westerly Longbow, which is the same hull as the Pentland, while we were in La Gomera. They had sailed her from the Med to the Canaries and the last we heard from them they were in Brazil - you have an excellent and sturdy boat there.
- Nick 8)

Ghillie
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Sigma 38

Postby Ghillie » Thu May 20, 2010 11:05 pm

We winter in Ardrossan and the only sailing we have managed this season is to deliver the boat to Linnhe Marine, but what a delivery! Going through the Crinan in bright sunshine and then up through the Dorus Mor and the Sound of Luing with the tide and attendant whirlpools is hard to beat anywhere. Will look out for you.

Flobbets
Able Seaman

Postby Flobbets » Fri May 21, 2010 10:45 am

We were intending to perhaps get a second boat next year or the year after. Went online to show the family the sort of boat I was thinking of. Saw Albion. Decided to go and see her - just for a look, get our eye in etc. Family instantly fell in love with her (ok, me too) and the rest is history.

She's been neglected since her previous owner passed away so in need of some tlc, but she seems well equipped (even got stuff like radar, liferaft, generator, wind generator and all the usual electronics) and was obviously in the middle of upgrading when she was left, since the sprayhood and other bits are quite new. She is a late model with aft galley and wooden cabin sole and for the first time I'll have a nav station - what luxury!

What swung it for the family though is the fact that she's got tan sails; so much for cold hard logic.

We're heading for Ardfern tonight to take official ownership and sort her out ready to be moved. Anyone around there this weekend, come and say hello.

Mike

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Fri May 21, 2010 3:52 pm

Flobbets wrote:Anyone around there this weekend, come and say hello.

Sadly, very unlikely, as one of my hands is laid up having had surgical pins removed yesterday. :-(

However we've had some terrific sailing sailing so far this year - good winds, but bloody chilly for much of the time. Just my luck that it's suddenly become warmer. Anyway, there's always the gardening for me to supervise [ouch].

Have fun!

Ecotec
Midshipman

Postby Ecotec » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:42 pm

I am located in Tenerife, Canaries and offer all support services, consultancy, tourism, documentation, charges, informations, marinas, boating repair, etc etc for those who want to visit us and feel supported. To have your boat here is a good idea
Fell free to contact me
Regards
Juan

Oystercatcher
Midshipman
Boat Type: Drascombe Lugger

Postby Oystercatcher » Wed Nov 10, 2010 1:17 pm

Hello
I have sailed my Drascombe Lugger three times in the Arisaig - Eigg - Sleat - Scavaig - Rum -Sound of Raasay - area and went last year from Arisaig through to Torridon. -Sailing when the wind not too strong and camping on beaches. Great.
I have done a short trip through the Crinan canal to Ardfern.
Now I'm thinking about a trip from Crinan to Oban via the Clachan sound and the bridge over the Atlantic. However from my experience in that area and from reading the guide books it is clear that the area is much more difficult than north of Ardnamurchan: more scary tides, and no beaches to park on when it's too windy.
Dorus Mor seems the worst thing. Has anyone done it? What would it be like in a nice southerly force 4 with the tide optimal? What are the whirlpools like? Boat is 19ft long.

Telo
Admiral of the Red

Postby Telo » Wed Nov 10, 2010 11:00 pm

We're a bit bigger than a 19 footer, but shouldn't expect too much bother at Dorus Mor if you get the tides right. Otherwise, forget it.

Re shelter in the the area, you're never too far from a reasonable anchorage, and the islands and lochs usually provide protection from a variety of wind directions.

Silkie
Admiral of the Fleet
Boat Type: Hurley 22

Postby Silkie » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:17 am

I'm not much bigger than 19' although quite a bit heavier than a Drascombe but size is largely irrelevant. If you read your pilot and double check the tides (anyone can make a mistake :oops: ) the Dorus is a doddle. There are eddies but no real whirlpool.

Let us know when you're going to transit Clachan Sound. I'm sure someone will be available to immortalise you sailing under the famous Bridge over the Atlantic.
we can be heroes

Return to “Basically Boaty”