Holidays/Training

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Holidays/Training

Postby aquaplane » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 am

We've been thinking of having a UK sailing holiday and doing a course seems like a reasonable way to do it. Falmouth looks nice and we have never sailed round there so it would be different, any recommendations for a training establishment?

I have sailed a desk round the local night school a few times, the most recent 12 years ago, but haven't set pencil to chart since.

Do you think I will be able to bluff my way through a Dazed Kipper course? I had no difficulty with plotting when I did the theory course but I'm a bit rusty. I have some practice excersises somewhere, maybe I should find those and do some swatting.

I'm not really bothered about the bit of RYA paper, it's going to be a holiday first with some training thrown in, but it may be usefull if I want to charter to have a go in a different sailing area.

Perhaps I should get the Greek flotilla brochures out again, at least it will be warm and sunny.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Mark
Old Salt

Re: Holidays/Training

Postby Mark » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:16 am

aquaplane wrote:Perhaps I should get the Greek flotilla brochures out again, at least it will be warm and sunny.

That would win my vote. (Or bareboat if you don't need the company, it aint exactly challenging sailing.)

Sail Ionian (http://www.sailionian.com/) have been good for me but I'm sure there are plenty of other great charter firms.

aquaplane
Admiral of the White Rose
Boat Type: Jeanneau Espace

Postby aquaplane » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:13 pm

Sail Ionian look good. With the flights on they work out similar to Sailing Holidays by the look of it.

I scared myself not long ago looking at a Sunsail boat for 2 folk for 2 weeks, £5,500 is silly money, I suppose you get a boat for 6 with 2 folk on though so you pay for that.

Part of the idea was to try out a different UK sailing area, hence looking at UK sailing schools/charters.
Seminole.
Cheers Bob.

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Postby Telo » Wed May 05, 2010 11:51 am

FWIW, some years ago, Activity Yachting, in an earlier creation, came in about the most economical at that time. We used them for an Ionian flotilla holiday in 1997, and for a Croatian bareboat charter a couple of years later. Haven't compared the prices, but I'd be happy to use them again if I felt the need for some sailing in the sun.

lady_stormrider
Sailing Widow
Boat Type: Wooden Mirror hull no:4359

Postby lady_stormrider » Wed May 05, 2010 7:50 pm

This thread could explain why my 'Fireplace Eyes' expression has not been working. My 'Hallway and stair carpet eyes' and 'enamel the bath eyes' have also failed to raise any response.

Captain keeps saying he's seeing another woman - but I think it's all a front - he's up to no good......he's hunched over the computer until all hours and muttering 'TSA.....raised keel.......loading.....

I'm a bit worried as the Distressed Mistress Mariner's Aid Association Fund is suddenly looking a bit sparse...
Poly Navicular Mobus is now down to 35 ft

Return to “Basically Boaty”