Would you like a new version of YotBlog?

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)

Please tick all options that apply

I would definitely sign up for a new and improved version of YotBlog
38%
I would be happy to donate £10.00 in the first year to help with costs
50%
I would be happy to pay a one-off fee of £50 for a custom template
13%

Total votes: 24

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Would you like a new version of YotBlog?

Postby Nick » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:59 pm

I am thinking of installing Wordpress MU (Multi-User) on a new server and re-vitalising YotBlog. If I do this I will not be able to transfer existing blogs but I promise I will keep the old site going with all the interesting blogs still on it provided it does not become too great a security risk. If you start a new blog on the new platform you will be able to link to your old blog of course, and if you are sufficiently dedicated you could copy all your old entries over.

The new site would offer all the usual Wordpress features plus any plug-ins I decided to install. I have a nifty bit of software that creates custom Wordpress templates, so I would offer a decent choice of original templates for people and could design a custom template (eg with your boat in the header) for a small fee which would help offset the cost.

The site would essentially be free to bloggers, but I will incur a fair bit of expense even not factoring in my time - the server I propose to use will cost just under £400 per annum, and although I will be able to spread the cost a bit by hosting a few other sites on this I would be looking for a few small donations to help toward the cost for the first year anyway. If I thought I could cover the costs in the first year then WPMU is now a fairly mature and well-supported Open Source platform and I reckon we could turn it into something pretty special over the next few years.

If you could help me make a decision by ticking boxes in the poll it would be useful - and of course all comments below are (probably?) welcome . . .
- Nick 8)

DaveS
Yellow Admiral
Boat Type: Etap 30

Re: Would you like a new version of YotBlog?

Postby DaveS » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:32 am

I've voted in the poll (good idea, happy to help with 1st year costs), but to help some of us less IT clewed up types, what sorts of things would a personalised template be able to do?

Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Re: Would you like a new version of YotBlog?

Postby Telo » Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:22 am

DaveS wrote:what sorts of things would a personalised template be able to do?

And would we need to visit a fitting room for this?

Return to “Basically Boaty”