Burgess Hydrosol for the strake?

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
Telo
Admiral of the Red
Boat Type: Vancouver 34 Pilot

Burgess Hydrosol for the strake?

Postby Telo » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:01 pm

When we bought Shard in 2001, the external teak was treated with Sikkens varnish, so we continued with it. It certainly hasn't done any harm, but looks dull imho. In the possibly naive belief that it will show the wood to better advantage, we've started, or, at least, Mme S has started, using Burgess Hydrosol for the cockpit teak gratings; we will do the same for the tiller.

Now thinking about using it for the strake where it will be more exposed to salt water. Anyone had any experience of doing this?

spuddy
Master Mariner

Re: Burgess Hydrosol for the strake?

Postby spuddy » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:01 pm

Similar reasoning on my part led me to Deks Olje. Chandler told me that and Hydrosol were similar but Deks better. My impression was that Burgess stuff is water based ? Deks smells hydrocarbony so probably not similar chemically. I soaked the strake and tiller repeatedly but didn't keep on top of it and tiller now having a thorough rub down. Also splashed out another £20 on the top coating which may last longer. It does look nice and woody when wetted out so will persevere and give it another coat more frequently.

claymore
Admiral of the Green
Boat Type: Claymore

Postby claymore » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:43 am

I decided last year to start using Danish oil -not for personal or family reasons
Am really pleased with the results and would recommend
Regards
Claymore
:goatd

sahona
Admiral of the White
Boat Type: Marcon Claymore

Postby sahona » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:47 pm

I find Danish oil only works on protected areas - the wheelhouse interior stayed good, but it disappeared from the outside PFDQ.
http://trooncruisingclub.org/ 20' - 30' Berths available, Clyde.
Cruising, racing, maintenance facilities. Go take a look, you know you want to.

Bodach na mara
Master Mariner
Boat Type: Westerly Seahawk

Postby Bodach na mara » Fri Jun 11, 2010 9:57 pm

I have used the Cetol wood oil stuff for a cople of years and find it slightly soft and prone to rubbing off but otherwise weather-resistant, but like Shard find it a bit dull. However in Ardfern chandlery last week I saw a can of gloss finishing coat for Cetol wood oil which I will try as a top coat later in the year.
Ken

spuddy
Master Mariner

Postby spuddy » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:30 pm

Iroko built boat locally with unpainted topsides looks good. Owner tells me he's been using the Deks Olje stuff for a few years and needed less maintenance once on the go for a few years. He uses the top coat which gives a glossier more protective skin. I've splashed out another £20 therefore on a tin of that.

Return to “Basically Boaty”