Oban pontoons

(Previously the YotBlog forums, now archived and combined here)
Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Oban pontoons

Postby Daveanmucker » Thu Nov 26, 2009 6:38 pm

Read in the Oban Times that the proposal to establish pontoons in Oban has missed out on funding by the Scottish government, however they say that the pontoons will still go ahead and will be installed by March 2011.

Anyone know any more?
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Nick
Admiral of the Blue
Boat Type: Albin Vega 27

Re: Oban pontoons

Postby Nick » Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:19 pm

There's more questions unanswered than answered. The company involved - ObanBayMarine - do not answer emails even from their corporate members (of which Webcraft UK is one) and there are a host of unanswered questions. The pontoon development proposed between the North Pier and the Railway Pier depends on a floating breakwater for shelter, and many are sceptical that it would provide sufficent protection in a North-Westerly winter storm. Local fishermen are reported to be against the proposal, and questions have been raised about potential conflicts with ferry operations.

What Oban really needs is a proper marina development behind a decent breakwater built on Corran Ledge. Something more ambitious could be constructed, here, making Oban the centre of West Coast yachting outwith the Clyde. However, Argyll and Bute council have shown themselves to be somewhat anti-yacht in the past and my guess is that the marina on Kerrera will continue to be the only sensible option for yachts looking for a marina berth with easy access to Oban. My bet is that the proposed pontoon development will not now happen.

Thre are however new visitor moorings in Cardingmill Bay, offering 15 visitor moorings and a landing stage not too far from the town centre.
- Nick 8)

Daveanmucker
Master Mariner
Boat Type: victoria 30

Re: Oban pontoons

Postby Daveanmucker » Fri Nov 27, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks for that Nick, being down in Lancashire I lose track of what's happening. Have been to have a look at the new pontoon in Cardingmill bay, obviously just for loading, watering etc.

Trouble with Cardingmill is that the moorings can be uncomfortable in a strong Southerly blow, I know I've had some.

Not that it matters much to me I'm quite happy on Kerrera, however it would be good to see Oban as 'the' place for yachts passing by to call, the town as a lot to offer, pity that the council can't see what a great opportunity to bring business into the town decent pontoons would be.
We can't change the direction of the wind, but we can adjust our sails.

Return to “Basically Boaty”